“Great Location”

Hotel Novotel Kuala Lumpur City Centre
Ranked #75 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 27, 2010

The hotel can boast excellent staff who provide absolutely wonderful hospitality. It takes less than a day for them all to know and acknowledge you, send you off with a smile and welcome you back with one also. We arranged a private taxi tour with the desk, plus a bus tour, both of which arrived on time. The breakfast is a wonderful feast of all sorts of foods. The only downside to this hotel is that the rooms are noisy. We were on the 21st floor and had constant elevator noise, plus noisy 'neighbours'...the walls seemed paper thin. It is also an old hotel and really needs a make over. There was no fridge in the room so they supplied us with an esky and ice - it did the job.
A real bonus is this hotel is in a great location for shopping. The Pavillion with amazing food court is just across the street, where you can eat great food, prepared before your eyes, very cheaply. BB Plaza is a short five minute walk away for excellent bargains. The monorail is just across the block.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ausroamer

Reviewed March 27, 2010

Typical Novotel hotel and its standards are what you can generally expect from the Accor brand. The staff very very helpful and friendly. Rooms were great, I was in a standard room and it had everything that I needed. Nice and spacious and working air con which was a relief! The bathrooms however were a bit grotty and need upgrading. Tiles were broken and cracks in walls etc, nothing too major though and very easy to get over. Hotel was clean and comfortable.

The location was awesome. Took the KL Express train in from the airport and got a taxi from the train station which was very cheap and not too long at all. Hotel is about a 10min dawdling walk away from the Petronas Towers. I was able to find my way to them easy. There are heaps of bars and restaurants along the way too.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Unfortunately we had a few problems with our stay at the Novotel KL. They would not take either of our credit cards (Visas) so we were told we could not use the phone/minibar in our room. They gave us our room keys but the room we were assigned was already occupied (as we found out when we opened the door on other people!) so that was embarrassing. The second room they assigned us had a big hole where the fridge should be and no minibar. After several phone calls to reception a fridge was brought up and plugged in but it was faulty and never cooled throughout our whole stay. Then when we checked out they tried to charge us for the room though we had already paid through hotel club! Finally, the taxi we booked through the hotel took us to the wrong airport, and we nearly missed our flight! Oh, and our 'king bed' was also 2 singles pushed together. Not great for a relaxing romantic holiday. Good things - hmm...the concierge and doormen were lovely and the room service menu is good.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

On Arrival 3/5 stars

I've stayed here before and remembered 3 or 4 staff members greeting me and taking my bags immediately, so I was a little miffed when there was no one around with some guy on the computer saying sorry to me as I walked in. The staff at the front desk were friendly and efficient.

Room 3/5 Stars

The room is nice enough a sizeable desk with a LAN connection if you need, power outlets and several lamps to keep the room well lit. A couple of stumbles however made me think of the good “old” days when I last stayed here. I was sitting at my desk practically naked and some woman from housekeeping who didn't even bother knocking, walks in and feigns ignorance, claiming she didn't know someone was in the room. Of, fair enough, but then the toilet wouldn't flush. I attempted to fix it myself and was able to get it to flush, but in the end not fixing it at all. Also, The shower curtain smells musty. It needs to be cleaned or better yet, replaced. I put a couple of cold beers in the fridge and when it came time to grab them, they were warm! Room temperature! Refrigerator's broken it seems. There didn't seem to be much concern when I informed the front desk. I wanted to get in and out of the shower quickly and looked around for a hair dryer, sure enough there wasn't one!

Amenities 3/5 Stars

Free Internet was a plus. They offer a spa service and when inquired about the price, I was immediately steered to the upgraded package. Didn't bother taking her on the offer.

Location 4/5 Stars

It's a good 5-10 minute walk to Petronas Towers from the hotel. There are plenty of stores along the way if you require a massage, espresso or some water. The Pavilion Mall is right next door. Its got pretty well everything one can expect from a modern mall. 7-11 is also directly across the street.

Bed 4/5 Stars

Not the best out there, but nevertheless a comfortable bed. No complaints there.

Breakfast */5 Stars

don't know how to score this. Unable to comment on their breakfast buffet having paid over $100US didn't qualify me! Though they were quick to offer me breakfast at a charge of 25++MR.

Check-Out 5/5 Stars

Very quick.

Miscellaneous 2/5 Stars

Sometimes they would not answer the phone at the front desk, maybe b/c it they knew it was me!

They have what appears to be a nice pool unfortunately it rained throughout much of the day I was there.

Michel Farines is the manager of this establishment and seems like he's let some things go!

Buyer beware, despite it being happy hour at their bar, I spent over $8.50 for a bottle of Heinekin. Of course it wasn't until after I ordered that I was told that this brand of beer wasn't included during happy hour!

The prices have gone up over quite a bit since my last stay here, while the quality has gone down!

Doubt I'll ever return. Bad Accor hotel experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2010

The good things:

Location: near Pavillion and all the other shopping centres, easy walk to Petronas Towers

Concierge: Very friendly and helpful

The bad things:

Staff in general: We had a room that included Club drinks and breakfast. We were made to feel 'cheap' by actually having our drinks and the free canapes. You are also limited to two free drinks, so watch this! Housekeeping was a bit so so.

We were also told on checking in that our booking didn't exist. At 6:00am. Great. However, they said they would find us a room and wouldn't be too long. Which was fine but it ended up being about 4-5 hours. If they had been more upfront about the delay it would have been better to plan.

Room: A bit dated inside. Bathroom in particular was a bit scummy.

Breakfast: We had ours at the club floor and I guess the lack of pork products was a little bit strange to international visitors. Sorry but chicken ham and beef bacon doesn't quite cut it!

If you get a good rate, book it (hence the recommend), but I wouldn't recommend paying full price - also RECONFIRM as I have noticed from other reviews there seems to be issues with their reservation system.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2010

what i liked about the hotel is its excellent location, since it was a short walking distance to pavilion, bukit bintang and even klcc (petronas towers). the room we got was only a double room, but we were able to get an extra bed. the room was roomy enough for the three of us and the hotel was very generous with the pillows, hehe. bathroom was a bit small, but manageable. shampoo smelled nice. we weren't able to check the hotel restaurant since our booking did not include breakfast. room wifi was not free and i was too lazy to go to the business center to check out the free wifi. the hotel staff was accommodating enough and helped us in getting a taxi to the airport even at a very short notice.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank marlonpasilon
Reviewed March 5, 2010

After spending this past year travelling, my husband and I have become platinum A Club members (spent over 60 nights in their hotels in the past 12 months), and none of the Accor hotels have disappointed me much until now! This hotel is really substandard for a Novotel and should really be the rate of an Ibis (their budget division)!
First problem: our room had a spot under the coffee/tea making area that was obviously meant for a mini fridge, but there was no fridge when we checked in. We called to ask and they said they would send one up. An hour later, someone called back to say they were in the process of upgrading their mini bars so some rooms did not have a fridge but they could not switch us to a room that had a fridge until the next day. A few hours after that, when we were napping, someone knocked on the door and brought a "new" fridge! Unfortunately, this fridge was complete crap and didn't really chill our water much. If this is an upgrade, I hate to see what they had before.
Second problem: our room was supposed to come with 2 cans of complimentary juice per day. It took 3 days and 5 requests for someone to finally tell us they were out of stock so they would give us a complimentary breakfast instead. They should have just told us this the first day instead of saying "we'll send someone up" - I wasted so much time waiting for housekeeping to appear with these juices!
Third problem: Noone ever answers the phone at reception or room service. We tried at one time to call every few minutes for like 25 minutes to order room service and no one answered. We eventually went outside to find somewhere to eat (the food court at the Pavilion shopping mall across the street is excellent by the way - definitely try Madam Kwan's there!)
Fourth problem: the bathroom is in serious need of a reno. The shower exerts a crazy amount of water pressure (far too much to be comfortable or water conservation friendly) and the water does not get really warm.
Fifth problem: the wi-fi is among the worst I have experienced in Asia. I kept getting disconnected and unable to log back on. Thankfully my husband is an IP whiz and figured out that I had to clear my IP address, but what average hotel guest would have a clue about that??? I'm now on the Perhentian Islands which is quite remote and the wi-fi works better here than at Novotel! Something is wrong with that...
Sixth problem: housekeeping staff comes around INCREDIBLY late - we had finished an entire day of shopping and sightseeing at 5 pm one day and they still had not made it to our room. We didn't bother having them clean the room at all during our stay because they never made it to us before we got back.
On the positive side - the hotel has a great location. The Pavilion luxury shopping mall (some really high end and some mid-range stuff like Aldo, Guess, etc) is right across the street and offers a huge range of great restaurants/fast food places to eat at. KLCC & the Petronas twin towers is also a short walk away if you cut through the convention center. Cheaper shopping is also close by at the Sungei Wang plaza, about a 15 min walk away. There's a 24 hour 7-Eleven across the street, but not much else close by if you have midnight cravings for food.
I also have to give props to the front desk staff for being friendly. I just wish that requests that got passed onto housekeeping didn't just vanish into thin air - at least tell me if something isn't doable!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple