“Stay here if you'd like to be awakened in the middle of the night”

Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #8 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My family of 5 stayed here from 11 to 15 June 2012. Having 3 kids aged 10, 9 and 7, I realised, is not an an easy thing when it comes to accommodation - we needed 2 rooms. The hotel was unable to promise us adjoining rooms but instead recommended the Traders Club Suite, which they assured us would be able to accommodate all five people. We were then really shocked to see, upon check in, how small the suite was. The 'sofa bed' was a joke - a sofa covered by bed sheets. After some discussion and my insistence with the hotel service staff, they agreed to send a roll-away bed to our room.

Despite a not-too-thrilling start to our short break, we retired for the night, eager for our much-awaited rest. Imagine our shock then, when my husband and I were both awakened by all the room lights coming on at 5 am. Thinking that it was probably an electrical trip or one of our children who had gone to the toilet in the middle of the night and turned on all the room lights, we turned the lights off and went back to sleep. However, the next morning, we found out that none of our children had turned the lights on in the middle of the night.

On the second night, I was so tired that I slept through the night - lights glaring at my face or not. However, my husband who had been busy on his iPad till the early hours of the morning, told me his 'strange encounter' - all the lights in the room had been turned off while he was on his iPad and the moment he closed the iPad, guess what? All the lights in the room came on! He found it very peculiar indeed. Not one to believe in the supernatural, I once again attributed the incident to some wiring problems in the room.

On the third night, we turned off all the room lights and went to sleep as usual. This time, all the lights came on at 12.30am. I woke up in a bleary state and turned them off. Imagine my surprise when the lights came on again at 1.45am! Irritated, I turned off those lights that could be controlled from the bedside panel. What do you know? All the lights came on again at 2.25am. By then, I felt rather spooked and decided to just leave the lights on. It felt as if 'something' in the room did want the room to be in complete darkness. When I awoke the next morning, I had a good mind to approach the reception and ask for a room transfer but because we were left with only one night, we decided to just 'hang on'.

The same incident happened on the fourth night - the lights came on at 4am this time. However, we were too tired to bother about it.

My husband and I experienced this strange sense of foreboding every time we returned to the room at night. During the day, though, the room felt rather normal. A week after our stay at Traders, we received an online survey regarding the recent stay. I did bring this matter up and asked that someone from the hotel get back to me but to this day, no one has. Given the amount of money that we paid to stay in the Traders Club Suite for 4 nights, I would have expected a more restful stay. Was it some lighting problem in the room or some supernatural reasons - till today, my family and I do not know. Would I stay in Traders again? After this experience, probably not.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lovetravelling275
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your post and sharing to us your experience and room condition during your stay. I would very much appreciate if you can advise me your name and room number via email and I shall investigate and look into this immediately for resolution. Over-All guest experience and satisfaction is our main concern and we would like to ensure the issues raised are corrected and resolved.

Juan Carlos Diago, General Manager
email: juancarlos.diago@tradershotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (10,075)

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Very nice business hotel close to KLCC, the Convention Centre and the park. Wonderful breakfast buffet. Rooms are spacious and very modern but spartan. Taxis alway available. Staff is very helpful. I like it enter than its sister property, the Shangri-la. The price is about the same. Free wireless Internet throughout the hotel. Nothing really negative to say except that it is a little pricey as you are paying for the location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I was convinced by reviews that I'd love Traders but it was really disappointing. At check in our room wasn't ready, the room itself had all the standard appointments but the desk was chipped and worn, furniture was frayed and atmosphere was motel-like, room service for a snack was 40min, check out took half an hour at the desk even though I'd called in advance to have our bill ready, the car service to the airport was annoyed at the delay and didn't hide it even when we apologised. With all the time we spent at reception we saw others being told to take smoking rooms and that rooms would not be ready for several hours. Location was good, views impressive, Skybar worth visiting but everything about the service and inside of the room needed attention.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 358KSJ358
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We arrived much earlier than expected and were arranged to rest at the arrival lounge. That was really nice as we had a red eye flight. Very soon we were notified that the room was ready and we were upgraded to a twin tower view room.

The roof top pool and Sky Bar were cool. Their breakfast buffet had a good mix and great variety. Service was excellent and polite. This is the best hotel for the value.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank LoveYahweh
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We booked this hotel with friends and weren't disappointed, Simply Superb!, The location couldn't be any better, totally opposite the towers and the views at night are fantastic. There's also a small golf buggy style train to take you across the park to the base of the Towers should you wish, or you could walk the 300 yards yourself. The pictures on the review are exactly how it is! We didn't stay in the restaurant as we always ate out, but the standard of accommodation, location, and friendliness of staff was just what we expected. If we go to KL again, we'll stay there without question!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy F
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is a perfect location for a stop over in KL as we did on way back from Bali.
Definitely worth booking a tower view room. This looks onto a park and the tower shopping complex beyond. 4 min walk across the park (or take courtesy hotel golf buggy there).
The room and bathroom are luxurious...
The breakfast was inclusive in our price and possibly the best quality and variety we have EVER had ...anywhere!
The Sky Bar is worth a visit but beware - a 330ml bottle of beer costs just over £6 - obviously aimed at biz people with expense accounts! (I would guess the majority of guests are on biz not holiday.)

The centre traffic is awful - best way to get around is by the train that goes from the towers - China town market is just four stops away costs about 70p and gets there in 10 mins - a taxi could take half an hour and cost £7-10 depending on traffic.

Day tour to Malaka and the half day one to Batu caves really worth your time. Sky tower gives good city views.

My very good rating simply due to this being a biz hotel rather than a holiday maker one...and the price of a beer! (The Sky Bar on top floor 34 has swimming pools in it and becomes a noisy techno music bar in the evening)

Room Tip: Higher floors give best views - we were in 2407 - think rooms go up to 30th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeSutton
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Trader Hotel is the perfect spot to enjoy KL. You simply fall in love with the Petronas, their view is breathtaking!! The executive twin tower room allows you to enjoy the Petronas Tower as much as possible, as well as the sky bar, a cool place very popular in the city. The hotel is modern and luxury, our room clean and with plenty of space.
The main points of interest as well as the metro station are close by, so I would go back to Traders if I had to return to KL!

Room Tip: Go for Executive Twin Towers
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple