“Good value and close to the monorail.....”

Prescott Hotel Kuala Lumpur - Medan Tuanku
Ranked #115 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I recently stayed at the Prescott Inn for three nights. This is a budget property, but the room allocated to me was clean and comfortable. While not in the centre of town, the bright lights of Bukit Bintang are only a couple of stops away by the (always crowded) monorail. The nearest monorail station (Medan Tuanku) is only two minutes’ walk from the PI's front door. Breakfast is included in the room tariff - but this is a pretty basic meal and you would not be missing much by skipping it and dining elsewhere. I must compliment at staff at the PI who were always pleasant and helpful. The guy on the front desk insisted in carrying my bag to the taxi when I left. The staff in the cafe and the lady servicing the room always had a friendly smile. In contrast to the comments of other reviewers, I had no problem at all with the in-room Wi-Fi (except for a rather tedious log-in procedure). You can spend a lot more on accommodation in KL - especially if you are looking for a pool, quality food and bar facilities and a more central location. However for the price I paid (booked through AirAsia), I thought that the PI was very good value. One final tip, though; taxi drivers did not seem familiar with the hotel - so a print-out of the map would be a good idea or tell them to get to the Medan Tuanku station first.

Room Tip: I think that the upper floors have nicer views. The nearby streets and laneways are a bit grotty.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank sprintlane
kimchan83, Manager at Prescott Hotel Kuala Lumpur - Medan Tuanku, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Sprintlane,

We look forward to welcome you back again on your next visit to KL again.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for 2nights for less than RM200 :) Very easy access to monorail and many restaurants around. With the amount of money i paid, i cannot ask much. All the basic amneties are there. I was given free wifi access during my 2 nights stay and it was perfect for my work. Don't expect this is a 4/5 star hotel. Breakfast was a bit dissapointed but its ok for me since i did not really ate much for breakfast. It is really value for your money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Faqhroll,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay in our hotel. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and all arrangements in the hotel is up to your expectation. For the shortcomings, we will strive our best to continue to upgrade our service that will be able to meet your expectation.

We look forward to welcome you back again on your next visit to KL again.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

5 Jan'13 was my first experience staying in this hotel. It's beyond my expection, the location, the outlook (looks new but it's 10 years old) and hotel cleaness. (maybe due to newly renovated). Staffs are friendly, nice to people (as I can notice the way they response to people around the lobby). Offer me an upgrade to king size bed room with KL Tower view in 7th floor.

I am not sure some reviews on the dirty rooms, maybe belong to the rooms before renovation, but mine is all right. 3 wall plugs, 2 at study table and 1 at dressing table that can fix with international adaptor (those only available in 5 star hotels) which is useful for oversea customers.

Room with Iron, water boiler, hair dryer, spare paper slipper, free WIFI, refrigerator & LCD TV which almost the same as 5 star hotel but paying for 3 star price.

Room Tip: Get a KL Tower View Room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I checked this hotel prior on trip advisor prior on making reservation and lets just say we got scammed bad. This hotel ruined my first visit to Malaysia. I am not sure where all the good reviews came from. Keeping it short here are my comments:

1. The hotels wifi is down for 3 days and the day that worked the network is horribly slow. Basically no wifi at all. False advertisement in my point of view.

2. Nasty bedsheet (blood stains, coffee stains,hair, etc.) We inspected 3 different rooms before picking one. It is not in one room only!

3. Old moldy yellow pillows when you take off the cover. My friend kept thinking about it and couldnt sleep lol

4. The lower levels does not have ventilation in the bathroom. You can see that the door is moldy due to the excessive water humidity. Showers are cramped, old and disgusting.

5. Inconvenient One access card only. And you need to keep it in the slot so that your room has AC and electricity. There is not way to bypass that we tried.

6. No extra wall jacks to plug your stuff. (on upper level rooms) We used the plugs from the TV and the hairdryer to charge our stuff during the day.

7. BUG issues... we saw a cockroach in the lounge (where they serve free breakfast) and in our bathroom. Very gross

8. The hotel is first come first served. Thus it doesn't matter what type of rooms you book. They will give you what they have. We booked for 2 double beds and end up with a king size bed.

9. I can hear the electric box ticking in my room. Very scary.

10. Housemaid cleans things partially... for some reason we have some garbage in the bedside table and it was never cleaned. Our trash is tho!

As previously mentioned we visited a few rooms before finally accepting one. Even so the room was very bad. I strongly dont recommend this place. Up to you guys. So sad that i didnt take pictures of the room. I have seen better managed 2 star hotels than this 3.5 stars. What a scam.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank hobbles477
kimchan83, Front Office Manager at Prescott Hotel Kuala Lumpur - Medan Tuanku, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear hobbles477,

It was our pleasure to have you as our esteemed guest. We are deeply regret that certain aspect and product that did not meet the quality that we always strive and we always value and concern of your experience with us. We are sincerely apologize for all that transpired during the course of your stay.

We will be greatly appreciate if you can sent us the details where we will be able to assist us to address our shortcomings urgently. It can be sent to my email address at kcyap@theeverlygroup.com

Hopefully we will be able to listen from you again. Once again, thanks for sharing your staying experience with us.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

First, it pretends to have wifi in the room, but for my 4-days stay, I was only able to access it once. According other feedbacks I've read, I wasn't the only one who had this problem. Then, the shower was really gross. I had a regular room at the beginning and the walls in the shower was so dirty and it was so tight, it has stains everywhere on the wall and on the floor, surely didn't want to touch this. It was a little better when they upgraded me in the superior room, but still has stains in the shower. To summarize, stains were everywhere( in the shower, pillows and bed sheets), bathroom was nasty, doors were cracked. Also, at the breakfast counter, there were cockcroaches running around!!!! Beside poor cleanliness of the rooms, the hotels staff were nice. BUT I STRONGLY DON'T RECOMMEND TO BOOK THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: I strongly don't recommend this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mylee20
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel. The last time was at the beginning of last year, and it hasn't changed much since then, so my review is pretty much the same.

I stayed in the superior room again (this time I paid for it, last time I was upgraded), facing the KL Tower. The view from the room is great, and the room itself if nice. It is spacious and homely. The bathroom is a good size too, and everything seems clean.

My only criticism is that the wife doesn't work in the room (I was on the 6th floor this time). I had exactly the same issue last year, and obviously the hotel doesn't view this as a serious enough problem to fix. However, although I can go downstairs to use the wife, it would have been much more convenient to use it in my room.

The other issue is the aircon. It has a sign next to it, saying that for the customer's comfort, the temperature gauge should be set to 5 degrees centigrade, and the air flow set to maximum (level 3). However, when I tried adjusting either the temperature or air flow, there was absolutely no difference! I suspect they put the sign next to the aircon to disguise this fact! The aircon was a little noisy, but it didn't affect my sleep. Also, this default setting (which is not adjustable) made the room a comfortable temperature, so was not a big issue to me.

The breakfast buffet seemed to be a smaller selection than when I was here last year (although I could be wrong). However, it tasted good, and was ample enough for me.

The staff were friendly, and allowed me to extend my check out by two hours without charging me.

The location is great. It's about one minute walk to the monorail. In the evening I decided to walk to Bukit Bintang, rather than catch the train three stops, and it only took me about 25 minutes.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank neilsolaris
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I booked a room for 3 persons ending up having a room for 2 + xtra bed which resulted as having a room with very little space for anything. The room was clean and the personnel helpful. The location was also convenient. The only minor problem was that if you wanted talk with the front desk, there was always a line... What it comes to breakfast, I wouldn't describe it plentiful but it was ok and the people responsible for it were really helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends