“Good but far from great”

Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #12 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I stayed here for two nights towards the end of June, 2009. I booked after looking at the high ranking the hotel enjoys on Tripadvisor and the many positive reviews posted. I was able to secure a very good rate due to the 2-for-1 promotion that Hilton appeared to be running directly through their website at the time. While the rate was probably not quite as good as having two nights for the price of one, it was certainly a discount to the usual rates.

The hotel is located right next to the KL Sentral station but there is no direct connection to the station and I still had to lug my baggage across the road to the hotel after having arrived at KL Sentral. Then, it was still necessary to catch a lift up to the lobby and then walk a fair distance across the lobby to reception so it was quite a long walk all things considered.

Check-in was very fast and efficient which contrasted with the hotel I'd just checked out from (Pullman Putrajaya). The service at this Hilton is basically very professional and fast but I didn't get the impression of much warmth and I would have to consider the hotel a more business-like place than one suited for leisure.

The deluxe room was very nice, it had many conveniences which were well thought-out. There was a small screen in the bathroom, for example. The overall design is modern and more high-tech than usual. The TV was a 42-inch quality set from Hitachi with bass sound and it was nice to use.

I liked the wooden flooring and walling with a rug on the floor in the centre of the room.
The bathroom was very large relative to the size of the room and could be closed off with a wardrobe-like sliding door. The bath and shower areas were fully covered in marble and it certainly looked impressive. The tub itself was deep and well-designed, the rainshower was pleasant. However, with the bathroom so large it meant that the rest of the room seemed a bit small.

A major problem I had on my first night related to the pillows; they were far too soft and prevented a good night's sleep. At first, I didn't figure that they were the cause of my bad night's sleep on the first night but upon changing to the firmer option which was in the wardrobe, I slept fine. The standard pillows were so soft that even with two stacked together, they eventually became almost as flat as a pancake after I had rested my head upon them.

Other less positive aspects included the expensive internet access charges, which were even more expensive than the standard RM60 per day for in-room access that is charged in many Malaysian hotels, probably because they all go through the same company for the service. I think the rate here was almost RM80 per day and there is no free internet access available.

The breakfast area served quite tasty food and had some quite reasonably healthy options, such as freshly squeezed juice. However, there was a problem with the overcrowding in the dining outlet. I had to literally jostle with other patrons and climb over them to get access to the food; some of the food dishes for the breakfast buffet seemed to be placed a fair way from the table and I had to reach out to access the food.
I had room service twice which was quite reasonably priced and also the food was quickly delivered and nicely presented as well as being very nice and tasty.

I tried the first-class gym and fitness centre, run by Clark Hatch and the equipment was top-grade. I used the treadmill which was obviously high-end. The environment was cool and relaxed. I did not have the opportunity to try the much-vaunted swimming pool.

Unfortunately, the hotel generally also has a bit of a snooty attitude and that applied to quite a few guests as well as staff members. As an example, while I was checking out, a customer kept on flashing his Hilton Gold VIP HHonors card and slapping it on the reception desk while I was being attended to, as if to say that the staff member should hurry up and get me out of the way so as to serve his good and honourable self. To be fair, I was being attended to at the dedicated HHonors counter but that was because I was directed there. I always try to look out for good hotels where the clientele are also quite pleasant so this incident didn't help in my search. The luggage porters also seemed a bit condescending in their attitude.

The hotel's location is next to the KL Sentral station but at the time I stayed, the monorail was quite a fair walk away because there was construction work going on and you needed to endure a hot and dusty detour before getting to the monorail station, which is not really a good idea if done too often. Bear in mind that the touristy Bukit Bintang area is usually accessed by monorail. The other lines such as the subway and normal train lines were still as easy to use as usual and you could get to the Midvalley Megamall by train and KLCC by subway.

Overall, I would rate the hardware in this hotel highly apart from the afore-mentioned serious problem with the pillows. The service and attitude were just ok, I think this department could be better.

Lastly, I had a problem with the Hilton HHonors program, as my stay was not automatically credited towards the account and I had to follow-up on it. First impressions are that the HHonors loyalty program lags behind the Starwood Preferred Guest program and Intercontinental Hotel Group's Priority Club Program but is ahead of Accor's a-club program (which appears to be just a token effort). For some reason, e-mails to HHonors were only selectively answered.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank perryw
There are newer reviews for Hilton Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed July 8, 2009

Great service from all the staff at Hilton, easy to get to most places by train from KL Sentral. Just two points to take note: 1. Rooms are too dry and need some humidifying. 2. Access to the jacuzzi near the main pool is closed in the evening, as you have walk across the poolside dining area where diners are present - I can only suppose the ambience for poolside diners takes priority over hotel guests.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zhon
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I was in KL for 3 days as a stopover on my way home and I stayed at The Hilton for 2 days. There is no other hotel I could recommend. Let's begin by location: it is extremely conveniently located just above KL central station, perfectly situated for those who have an early flight. But it also means you are immediately connected to the rest of the city via its rail network. Some may feel it may be a little far from where the action is (as the city centre and major shopping districts are about a 10 minute taxi ride away), but I found it a haven from the hustle and bustle of a city that doesn't sleep.

Service is a major factor when judging a 5-star hotel and The Hilton certainly did not fail on any counts. From the reception staff in the lobby when checking in, to room service staff and the many waiters and bartenders in the many bars and restaurants located all over the building, no single staff faltered under any of my queries or requests. I used the business centre and randomly asked the staff on duty about the local sights and colours. She gave me the insider's guide to KL, despite this being outside her circle of responsibilites.

As far as facilities go, this hotel provides everything you could want on holidays. There is a large pool that overlooks the city that even comes with a waterslide. Fitness centre, spa, sauna, jacuzzi, health spa centre are other luxury features located a few floors from your room. There are many restaurants and bars scattered all over the building so you are spoilt for choice.

I stayed in the standard king-bed room on my own on the 22nd floor and it was simply one of the most comfortable rooms I've had. It isn't the biggest and there are some marks of wear and tear but it was extremely satisfactory nonetheless. There is a rain-water showerhead (where water falls to resemble a downpour of rain), making every shower an invigorating experience. The hotel also provides high quality Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, a small touch but a refreshing change from the generic stuff one gets at most other hotels. However, it lost one mark on cleanliness for me because I detected a few soap sud stains on the marbling around the bathtub but this was only a very minor concern.

I loved staying at The Hilton and I can't wait to come back to KL, if for nothing else than to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank lonelypiano
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The hotel locate on the heart of city, there is easily reach from an airport by airport express and connect with local transportation systems such as monorail and subway.
The room is clean and provides prefect facilities for example, LCD TV, AV/computer connection with TV and a big bath. Open bathroom design increase extensity of the room.
Additionally, a slide is set up in the swimming pool. You also have a wide city view from the swimming pool.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I stayed in Hilton Kuala Lumpur 3 years ago. It's been a long time, but this hotel is still #1 in my list.
The hotel is amazing inside and outside. I had a cosy room with a big LCD TV. The room was very clean and nice. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, I felt really welcomed there. I was surprised that everyone spoke fluent English. I really enjoyed breakfasts there - lots of exotic fruits the names of which I don't even know. The hotel location is great, it's only 5 mins to the subway that can take you to the center of the city. The hotel provides a limousine bus to the station although it's only 5 mins by foot. You can take a train to the airport there. And it's even possible to make a check-in to the local airlines' flights from the station.
10 minutes from the hotel and you can visit the historical museum, another 5 minutes and there is a police museum and museum of some national leader.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2009

None of our party wanted to leave children or adults. We loved the rooms, the food, the swimming pool, the staff. I have never stayed in a corporate hotel like this though I am sure there are plenty or experienced that feeling of being in a luxury bubble - we could see KL from the windows and executive room but we weren't part of it - normally the last thing I want on holiday but now I'd fly all the way back there just to stay in this hote. choose an executive room and enjoy all the benefits - fabulouc breakfast, drinks and evening snacks, free wifi access etc. Lounge by the pool, use the spa and like me you'll want to stay longer. the only downsides are the prices in the restaurants and bars but they were worth it!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I'm always critical about the possibilities of having an European breakfast outside Germany of Scandinavia, but this breakfast is one of the best. Multiple kinds of bread, Danish pastries on the buffet are still hot from the oven, cheese and cold cuts as much as you want, smoked salmon brought on request.

For the rest perfect rooms. We only had some difficulty letting repair a power socket, a lot of disturbances and miscommunications, but finally solved in a great way by the operations manager.

The only downside for the hotel is that it is remote from shopping centers, so you have to take the skytrain or a taxi for that. Coming from the airport with the KLIA express however the location opposite the central station is perfect.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family