“Deluxe room OK... Orchid Club Room much much better”

PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #36 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed December 5, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on our way to Langkawi and then for another 2 nights on our way back home.

The first part of our stay was in a Deluxe room and it was only just OK . The bed was so so hard that I could not sleep without getting a very sore back (it was like sleeping on a slab of wood) so next morning I asked if housekeeping could put a 'mattress topper' on top of the mattress to make it softer. They didn't know what I mean't by this but said they could put something ontop of the mattress.
However all they did was put a quilt between the mattress and the bottom sheet and as the quilt was only kept in place by the sheet it became annoying to sleep on as it bunched up during the night and was really uncomfortable.
The window in the room was facing the street and about 4" of it was not sealed properly so even though we were on the top floor we could hear all the road traffic etc.

As we were returning to this hotel after our stay in Langkawi I did not want to stay in a Deluxe room again that I had prebooked so I requested that we pay extra and stay in an Orchid club room and I'm so so glad we did.
The difference between the Deluxe room and the Orchid club rooms are enormous and well worth the extra $$ a night.
The bed was nice and soft with a really thick pillow top mattress, the bathroom was really modern with a shower that squirts water at your body's length as well as the shower head being a massage type one. The overall room was very modern and I couldn't get over the difference between the 2 rooms.

The room was located on the 4th floor (Orchid Club rooms are located on levels 1 - 4) and we had a room facing the back of the hotel so it was nice and quite.
The snacks in the Club room were very tasty with the hot food at 6pm being plentiful.
One thing that was a bit annoying was that the waitresses had to get our drinks, we could not even serve ourselves a soft drink so we had to always get their attention for a top up.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. I originally tossed up staying at the The Royale Chulan but when we saw it's location we were glad we stayed at ParkRoyal as it's so much closer to all the shopping centres.

If we go back I'll definatley book a Orchid Club room again and stay clear of a Deluxe rooms due to the hard bed.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kazda
Write a ReviewReviews (3,492)

Reviewed November 26, 2010

We stayed at the Parkroyal for two nights as part of our visit to Asia. We picked this hotel for location over other more flash hotels becuase of it's location right near the two big shopping malls, Sungei Wang and Times Square. You don't want to be walking around too much or even waiting for transport in the 30+ degree heat of KL so this place is ideal. We paid 280 ringitt per night off the hotel website which is a bargain considering it included breakfast.

The rooms are refurbished and the buffet breakfast is great with a big selection of delicious Asian and Western food.

We found that the staff were very helpful and friendly, and although our allocated room was not ready on arrival, they quickly found us another to check into (very welcoming after a 12 hour flight). Saying that we had a problem with our lights and air conditioning during our stay – the keycard fits into a central panel and controls everything. There was a faulty connection and you had to take the keycard out to get the lights to work – which was more of an inconvenience, rather than a problem. Reported this fault on our 1st night and it still had not been rectified during the duration of our stay (despite mentioning it to Reception numerous times).

We ate out of the hotel most of the time, but we did use the Coffee Shop on a couple of occasions. Good coffee and cakes, with very friendly and helpful waitresses.

All in all I would stay here again because of the location to shops and monorail and totally adequate rooms and breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2010

Dear Mr. / Ms. BakerJ68,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at PARKROYAL during your visit to Kuala Lumpur. Your feedback is of great assistance in the improvement of our service.

Thank you for all your lovely comments towards our hotel and associates. Parkroyal Kuala Lumpur prides itself on a practical focus and in supporting personalised care by developing strong relationships with our guests. And thus, this is certainly a reward for us.

We have noted your response for proper functioning of lights and the poor follow up and communication on the part of our team. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Would you be so kind to let us know the room number of the room that you stayed in so that we can make sure that this matter has been solved?

Once again, Mr. / Ms. BakerJ68, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. If there is anything we can do to make your future stay better, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed in the twin double double room (has two double beds) with my three family members (including my 2 year old niece). The location is just perfect with 2 minutes walk from the mono rail station and at the heart of KL's shopping center. It is at a 10 min walk from KLCC. The service was great and I got an online deal on its website, so best value for money I would say. The rooms were clean and the view of the Trade Center building from the window was great too. Overall - 4/5!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Before going I read some of the reviews about rooms needing refurbishment, so I sent a note to the hotel flagging my concerns. They offered me a very good deal for upgrading to Orchid Club, however the deal was good I was travelling alone and kept my reservation. Upon arrival I was met by the manager, who made sure I got a room with nice view and called me later to ensure I was happy with my room.

The location is great with Bukit Bintang around the corner. The staff throughout the hotel is really friendly and helpful - not just in the usual 5 star way, but they actual engage and seem happy/proud to work there. The pool area is nice and a great place to relax. I liked the design of the room with the open bathroom (I guess it's a matter of taste - and it's true it does not give you a lot of privacy). The shower is good, the bed is great and the room is quiet and clean!!!

The rooms could be bigger and yes it's true they need refurbishment. The edges of the desk was a bit worn, there were a couple of scrapemarks on the walls and the TV looked like it was from 1990's. But except for the TV it was not serious things you'd notice right away. None of these things ruined my stay, and to compare I think the rates are reasonable for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JRDK
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2010

Dear Mr. JRDK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor and for choosing to stay at PARKROYAL during your visit to Kuala Lumpur. Your feedback is of great assistance in the improvement of our service.

It was lovely to be able to assist you when you were with us. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Naturally, I am also very happy to learn of your commendations towards our associates, whom you identified as providing exemplary service. I will be sure to convey your compliments to all of them. At Parkroyal Kuala Lumpur we support personalised care by developing strong relationships with our guests and thus, this compliment is certainly a reward for them.

Thank you for your comment about our rooms. Over the past few years the Hotel has been through upgrades in phases: complete renovation in 2002 / 2003; Orchid Club rooms, Club Lounge and Bossa Nova Restaurant in 2008. Meeting rooms have been consistently refurbished. Our gymnasium interiors were renovated in September this year and in November we have upgraded our pool side ambience and pool bar offerings. Over the next couple of years our room product and coffee house will undergo refurbishment progressively.

With regards to your comments about our televisions we would like to inform you that we are in the process of replacing all the old sets with LCD televisions. In the next few weeks, all our rooms will be equipped with a brand new LCD television. We hope that you will be back after this, so that you can experience this improvement.

Once again, Mr. JRDK, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. If there is anything we can do to make your future stay better, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed November 18, 2010

We have stayed at Parkroyal KL three times previously and we have always enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately, our recent stay was a disappointment. We found the service to be very poor. We were travelling with a baby and we requested a cot which unfortunately was not provided in our room when we checked in at 11pm. Being so late and tired after a long flight, we were disappointed our cot was not already made up and ready in the room. Despite repeated requests for a cot, it took staff 45 minutes to finally get a cot and set it up. Our baby was so tired by the time they finally got the cot - it was a very frustrating check in experience! We also found the staff to be terribly slow when we checked out - there was a long line and 3 other staff walking around the other desks not doing anything. I had to ask them to serve the customers waiting for check out which they finally did after some prompting. Quite disappointing particularly since we have loyally returned to the Parkroyal 3 times before.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank PoppyW
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2010

Dear Mr. / Ms. PoppyW,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor and for choosing to stay at PARKROYAL again during your visit to Kuala Lumpur. Your feedback is of great assistance in the improvement of our service.

Your experience is of great concern to us and we deeply regret that the aspects of our service did not reflect the quality we strive for and we do sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. There is no excuse for the apparent indifferent services, and the subsequent poor communication and follow up on the part of our team. Based on your past experiences with us, I trust that you will recognize that this is not our usual standard of service.

We have also noted on your comment about the check-out. Thank you for pointing this out. We are constantly working to improve on this matter.

Once again, Mr. / Ms. PoppyW, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. If there is anything we can do to make your future stay better, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed November 17, 2010

I have been to KL about 8 times and usually stay at another hotel close but have always loved the look of the Park Royal, so when I got a special rate, even though it was more expensive than our regular hotel, I took the chance to stay here.
Check in was quick, and the staff were so pleasant, and even though we arrived at about 8.00am on a flight from Rome our room was ready and we were taken straight up to it.
The location is great just accross the road to the Susie Weng Plaza and up the road from the Monorail. Just the area where we want to be.
Breakfast
It is the largest breakfast buffet I have seen in KL with lots and lots to choose from. My only complaint is that there are lots and of Malaysian, chinese, asian dishes to chose from for those that want them. However there is no bacon, just beef bacon which is not the same. I know that there are a lot of the guests who are muslim, but I would think that it would be easy to have it in a seperate area for those who want it (as some other hotels do, or able to order it special. In fact the hot western food is a choice of beef bacon, chicken sausages, hash browns and baked beans plus eggs. For someone who does not eat eggs that is a limited choice. Just a small thing, but when you stay a number of days it is a bit annoying.
The cocktail bar is very relaxing and lovely with music at the end of a long day. The service is friendly and the wine is cold.
Re the room we had. It was very small with a double bed and armchair which we had to move from under the window so my husband didnt fall over it in the night. It didnt have an ensuite as such just a sink next to the bed, a shower cubicle and a toilet. My husband could not get used to this at all, and in fact said it made him feel very uncomfortable. I asked the porter if all the rooms were like this and he said yes it was the new modern design. I had thought about asking for another room or an upgrade but thought that would be a waste. However there was a huge walk in wardrobe.

I personally would love to stay here again, but my husband said he didnt want to return.

Overall a lovely comfortable hotel. However for the price I thought the room was very small. That is the only negative.

To finish on a positive when we said we were booking out early and would not be able to have breakfast the reception staff said we could have a continential breakfast delivered to our room early at 5.00. When it arrived it was a huge fruit platter, juice, tea coffee etc and all very hot. Unfortunately as we were in a rush we were not able to do it justice.
Well done. So many hotels dont offer this service or give you a box to take away, or in fact nothing if you are booking out early for a flight. So you normally pay for a breakfast you are not able to have.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janderra

Dear Ms. Janderra,

Naturally, we are pleased to learn of your commendations towards our associates and our hotel in general. Parkroyal Kuala Lumpur prides itself on a practical focus and in supporting personalised care by developing strong relationships with our guests and thus, this is certainly a reward for us.

We have noted your response about the food selection in our restaurants and feel the need to reply. As you will very well be aware of, the main religion in Malaysia is the Islam. Restaurants and hotels in this country need a special license to serve pork-dishes. Some restaurants in Malaysia have this license. Most hotels, however, do not, especially for their coffee house. Our hotel does not have this licence.We apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope you were able to enjoy our Malaysian dishes. On a positive note our Restaurants, Bars & Events Director is in the process of upgrading the western spread in the restaurant.

Our Superior rooms are designed as ‘small and cozy’ and hence are positioned very competitively in terms of pricing, their layout has been appreciated by several of our guests and yet there have been others who have not been pleased. During future visits we are pleased to introduce you to our Deluxe room or a room on our Orchid Club floors; which do have a different lay-out.

Once again, Ms. Janderra, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. If there is anything we can do to make your future stay better, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

Fantastic 3 nights at Parkroyal KL, I didn't wanna leave!! Some minor hiccups but I would totally recommend this 5 stars hotel to anyone!! Super value for money!! Great staff, super clean, super comfy and super awesome!!!!

I chose Parkroyal based on the reviews written here at Tripadvisor and the replies from the hotel managers!

Booking of room -
A week before check in, I had problems trying to book a room under my credit card promo cos the staff wasn't aware of the promotion. I did my booking over the phone. After being transferred several times and having the reservation staffs reject my promo booking, the reservation manager attended to my phone call and booked the room for me with no hassle. Phew!

Arrival -
We arrived early in the wee hours of the morning and Staff A (I don't name her here) from room reservations attended to us. She said that if we pay for an extra night, she could give us a room, but I told her it made no sense to pay for an extra night cos it was already 5am and we had no problems waiting. She said in that case, there's no room and we had to wait. She seems to imply that if you pay, there'll be a room. If we don't pay for the early check in, there's no room. She really didn't speak right. It's about the money? What the hell.

Anyway, I didn't wanna argue with her cos we were dead tired plus my request wasn't to ask for a super early check in. I understand that I had to wait for my room check in at 2pm & we had no problems waiting at the nice lobby. She knocked off at 7am, hence I told her to inform the staff who starts at 7am about our early arrival situation, at least they could keep a lookout & if we are lucky enough, there maybe a room available for us. She was a unfriendly & I didn't like the way she speak. Seemed like she wanted to brush us off. No smile on her face. Obviously, I didn't wanna interact with her again. I waited till she knocked off and approached the reservation counter. This time, Staff B attended to me and he didn't seem to be aware of my situation, neither did other staff from room reservation. At that point, I was a little pissed with Staff A. Thank god Staff B saved the day. He smiled throughout our conversation and was nice enough to give us a room immediately to my surprise. I had some trouble with my card but he solved the matter with no hassle, spoke good English and voila, we checked in - 14th floor!

Room Type -
My room type was Deluxe King non smoking - awesome king bed I swear! Super clean and super comfy. One problem, the toilet water was yellow. I called for maintenance and he recommended we change room. Plus point to the maintenance dude! No hassle at all. My room was changed to one on the 21st floor! I love high floors! Nice! It was the same deluxe king but it had more amenities. Toilet was clean, hot and cold water worked fine in both rooms I stayed in. Quiet and peaceful. Plus you can listen to the TV in the bathroom as well, so it doesn't get too quiet, haa haa. We had daily newspaper. Sweet! Perfect room!

TV - good selection of channels from entertainment to local to news to reality shows.

Location - AWESOMENESS!!! It's directly opposite Sungei Wang & BB Plaza, diagonally from Time Squares (Imbi station), 2 mins walk to Bintang walk (where the new Fahrenheit 88 & Pavilion mall are at) and 4 mins walk to Jalan Alor (local food haven). 2 monorail rides to Chinatown (Maharajalela station), 2 monorail rides to KLCC Petronas Tower & Zouk KL (Bukit Nanas station)! We didn't have to cab at all. The monorail worked for us!!

Hotel Breakfast Buffet at Chatz - great selection - nasi lemak, porridge, western, sweets and savoury, noodles, cereal, cornflakes, egg station, juices, hot drinks, small jpnese and indian selection, etc - Yummy! Restaurant staff were prompt in clearing out our plates, very smiley, very helpful! Overall image - clean and delightful! And breakfast closes at 11am on weekends, super cool! So we can sleep later and still have breakfast at 10am (:

Security - There were security paroling the lobby and restaurant levels 24hrs. Literally keeping watch of the surrounding. Great!

Concierge - Very helpful in providing directions, clear and concise. We had to borrow a brolly from them cos it was raining, no problems with that.

There's a business center too but we didn't use it as well. The concierge gives very good info, no need for the internet! Haa haa.

Fitness and Pool Center - very nice! Though the pool is a little smaller than it looks in the website but still great. There's a smoking area too. There's a fitness instructor standing by in case you need help. Plus points! I don't see fitness instructor standing by at other hotels before.

St Gregory Spa - looks great but we didn't have time for it. We'll do it the next round!

Book your rooms at Park Royal KL now! Great for families, couples and business!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Yukikisu
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2010

Dear Mr. / Ms. Yukikisu,

First of all, thank you for all your lovely comments towards our hotel and our associates.

We apologize for the inconvenience during your reservation. We do our best to keep our associates up to date about all the promotions going on. Your response has actually triggered us to put in place a procedure where the passing of such calls should not happen again. Thank you for pointing this out. We are pleased, that our Reservations Manager was able to solve this matter in a satisfactory manner.

Your experience is of great concern to us and we offer you our sincere apologies for your less than happy experience with one of our Front Office associates. The associate was following protocol, where the check in time is after 2pm. As such, check- ins that are early are taken as one additional night charge. However, this could have been conveyed to you in a better manner.

Once again, Mr. / Ms. Yukikisu, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. If there is anything we can do to make your future stay better, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur.