“Adequate but cleanliness poor in our room”

PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #36 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed with a family member. We emailed in advance to ask whether an Orchid Club room or Family Suite would better suit our requirements (modern, spacious, walk-in shower). We received a prompt response recommending the family suite, although they were "a little bit older". So we booked the family suite, and requested a higher floor due to some of the reviews about noise that we read on here.

We arrived early (around 9am) and were able to check in after a couple of hours wait. Our room was on the 8th floor (out of 21 floors) and at the back of a hotel overlooking a carpark and alley way. The room was very spacious and the decor was fine although definitely tired and in need of refurbishing (which we had expected). But first impressions were disappointing as our room felt in major need of a good clean. There were stains on the carpet, stains and holes in the curtain, and the couch and chair looked so dirty with stains and torn covering that we reallly didn't want to sit on them. We turned the cushion hoping the underside was cleaner and found a used bandaid, food, and other rubbish. The fridge door had alot of grime, the coffee table and cupboard doors had smears and hand prints, and I wiped a large patch of dried-up grey-ish stuff from the bedside table. The bed heads were leather/PVC panels on the wall, and we could see smears and drip marks and sticky bits on them - very offputting to think of sleeping next to this. The sheets also looked ok from the other side of the room but up-close, although they seemed washed, they were old and thin with several stains and dirty marks and small tears. We didn’t feel very happy about staying in this room.

We asked to change rooms, and were told it might be possible later. In the meantime a nice lady from housekeeping came and wiped down the bedheads and fridge and vacuumed the couch, but there wasn't really much she could do, as really the room needed a major clean and refurbishment. She even told us it was because the room was "old", but we felt like they thought we were being too fussy. I'm not bothered by a bit of mould in the shower grout, or a few scuffs and scratches, but the cleanliness of this room really was poor. I will say the bathroom was large, clean and looked pretty good (apart from a patched up bit in the bathtub and a small hole in the ceiling over the bath!) and the towels were generally clean except for a large stain on one during our stay - and one or two times housekeeping didn't leave us any towels so we had to ask for them.

After a few hours we were offered another room on the 10th floor, but as we had just showered and unpacked (after wiping down lots of surfaces!) we decided we would stay where we were as we thought the next room might be the same anyway.

The other negative issue we had with the room was that from the second day onward, there was quite a strong "sewer" smell in the bathroom which seemed to be coming from the drains.

The positives were: good location; the staff were generally courteous and helpful; the pool area seemed nice although we didn't use it; the breakfast selection was good; free wifi and drinking water each day. As I said the room was very spacious, and although we were on the 8th floor, we didn't have any problem with noise and slept well.

Overall we found the hotel itself to be quite nice, but our room wasn't up to standard. Although we knew it would be older than the Orchid Club rooms, it could have been much better with some adequate attention to cleanliness.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,489)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed in the Orchid Rooms three times now and have never been disappointed with the service this hotel provides. The staff have always been totally professional and very helpful. We were particularly happy this time that the Hotel met our request for early check in and provided breakfast upon our very early arrival. We have come to view this Hotel as a perfect place to stay when we stop over in KL before moving on to other Asian countries. Apart from providing a good breakfast the Orchid Lounge provides a good happy hour buffet that includes drinks. Our deluxe rooms were very comfortable and we enjoyed the use of the pool. An extra benefit for us is that the Park Royal is within five minutes walking distance to shopping at the huge Pavilion shopping mall.

1  Thank Frankie F
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our family stayed 2 nights here on the way home from a 3 week Vietnam trip. My husband & I really loved it here but our 6 & 7 year olds really loved the pool and the breakfasts. Huge tasty selections - could not have asked for more. It was no trouble for the staff to provide take-away hot chocolates for our early morning departure. Incredible reception space - beautiful scent. It was wonderful to have a little oasis close to everything for children & parents to unwind in comfort poolside. Drinks and food pricey but it is the Parkroyal... Great for Dads while Mum shops too! Free shuttle bus a few times a day to various locations including Petronas Towers.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Location - the hotel is in Bukit Bintang, the lively centre for tourists with streetfood @Jalar Alor, the atmosphere @Bukit Bintang, the bars at Changit Bukit Bintang, and the nearby high-end shopping mall Berjaya Times Square and Pavilion.
From the airport - I did the KLIA Ekspress and metro/monorail. With KLIA Ekspress you arrive at KL Sentral. Know that the monorail is a little outside KL Sentral.The monorail takes you directly to stop Bukit Bintang, a 5 minute walk to the hotel. If you take the metro line at KL Sentral, you have to transfer to monorail at Hang Tuay - not too great if you are carrying luggage. A taxi is a good alternative but less exciting ;-), plus you mustn't mind the traffic. Don't worry to much about the taxis, there is a fixed price taxi service at the airport. In the city, surely some may not want to drive you on meter, so just look for one of many many taxis on the street. Still, cost of taxis is very low.
Hotel - service is sublime. My room - the cheapest there is - spacious, clean, huge bed, nice sights on the 16th floor. Only if you want to spend a lot of time in your room, then you may want to choose Shangri-La. The added price for breakfast is low considering what you get, the buffet is huge. You would need a week to sample all the styles of food. In the more expensive hotels I considered when booking, I found the extra charge out of proportion. Good pool too, outdoors, so may limit your time there due to bad air condition in KL.
City - you can find KL's charm, but don't expect it comes to your hotel room. Read some of my other reviews if you like. Don't miss: Petronas Twin Towers (arrange your tickets asap as number of tickets per day is limited), haggling in China Town (for the fun), sampling street food around Central Market (or Jalon Alor, but bit too touristy), the outside eateries @Pavilion Mall at night.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank FASttRaveller77
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have spend two nights on the Park Royal which was an overall satisfying experience.The overall attitude of the staff is very positive and rooms are nice and up to date. The location of the hotel worked well for us as our business kept us in the center of the city, it is about 45 mins away from the airport.Our group has tried both the Chinese as well as the western food and both were excellent.The only thing that keeps me from giving the highest rating is the the internet connection was at times very slow with the wifi sometimes needing to reconnect on order to get it working again

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was welcomed at this hotel with such professionalism and friendliness and I am so happy as I had such a bad experience the Penang Hotel. I booked the Deluxe double double, I had made the mistake of thinking this was two queen beds in a room. I was worried about this room as I had two kids with me and sharing with a child is not comfortable in a small bed (King single). I was concerned about this but Mike (manager)? was amazing. He straight away understood I was stressing and upgraded us, I also think because he wanted to make sure that the Park Royal is a good brand. I believe it is now as they have more than made up for my awful stay at Penang. I was upgraded to a suite. It is beautiful, and when I come back I will save enough to stay in this suite again. Also Dawn from GHA, was fantastic when I told her of my problems with Penang. My faith has been restored. Thanks Park Royal KL...

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a suite!!! its amazing.
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was tossing up staying here and Traders, and haven't regretted it-----very pleasant stay of 6 nights in an orchid premium room. It was on the fifth floor, and check in was done in the club lounge. You also have your own lift.

Room was a reasonable size, ...had fruit bowl, flat screen TV, internet with wifi and wired, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, daily newspaper, chocolates on the pillow at night with the turn down service . Room always serviced well by the cleaner, and kept clean. Bathroom was good, full range of St Gregorys toiletries...... BUT.... didn't like the fact there's no privacy, bathroom all glass, and if sharing with a friend, it can be a bit awkward ----should be some blinds to pull down.

Customer service throughout the hotel was terrific, and certainly worth the extra for the Orchid club, after a hot busy day , it was so nice to go to this peaceful haven for complimentary drinks and nibbles.

The spa is worth a visit, I had a facial and back massage, although it seems expensive compared to other places in KL, its a proper spa, full of ambience, and Carmen that took care of me was a wonderful therapist.

Parkroyal is in a great spot, so close to transport, and walking distance to the main shopping plazas, Suria, Pavillion, Berajaya Times Square, Starhill, and numerous other shops and eateries.

Checking out was a breeze, my wake up call on time , and the taxi organised on time, definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple