“Still a great hotel”

PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #37 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 1, 2011

3 nights 22-25 April Deluxe Room.
Last stayed here some 2 years ago and the hotel hasnt changed at all. Same great welcome from the check in staff, despite being extremely busy. Rooms although a little dated have everything you need. OK the deluxe rooms dont have LCD TVs but who cares in a great city like KL. Breakfast buffet is one of the best for a city hotel and caters for all tastes. Food was fresh and oh a high standard. Despite breakfast being extremely busy, all staff were continually smiling and freindly. The swimming pool area is dated but clean with great staff. Check was just as polite and easy as check in.
The location and staff make this hotel the perfect choice for Kuala Lumpur and we look forward to staying here again when next in KL.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2011

Dear Mr. Flounder1234,

It was great to have you back again with us after such a long time. Hope to have you back with us again soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2011

This is our 4th stay at the Parkroyal KL and we would be happy return on our next visit to KL.

I would like to start by mentioning that we stayed here previously in September 2010 and we weren't very happy with our rooms and standard of cleanliness. Subsequent emails between myself and the management of the Parkroyal assured us that the issues would be resolved and I can confirm that all their promises were kept. The fact that the General Manager of the Hotel personally communicated with me genuinely impressed me and impressed upon me that the management of the hotel is serious about customer service and hospitality.

So this time around, we had a wonderful stay at the Parkroyal. We travelled with our 2 children (ages 8 and 11) and my parents. Our rooms 814 and 815 were clean, comfortable and spacious and nicely appointed. What a relief!

Breakfast, which was included in our tariff, at the Parkroyal KL is always one of the highlights of our stay, as it presents so much variety and also because there is a large offering of local malaysian cuisine. We especially love the daily curries (at breakfast this is normal in Malaysia), the special local kopi cart which made the best coffees, the fresh local fruits, noodles and congee. The staff in the Chatz Brasserie are very welcoming and efficient.

We love the location of this hotel, which is what brings us back time and time again. We have tried other (and more expensive) hotels in other areas but ended up being disappointed. Within walking distance is Sungei Wang, Times Square, Pavillion and my favourite Lot 10 shopping centres, also within walking distance is the wonderful food adventures of Lot 10 Heritage Food Court, Jalan Alor, Jalan Imbi, Pavillion Food Court, Changkat Bukit Bintang and Starhill.

If you want to go further than your feet can take you, the hotel offers a complimentary one-way shuttle to Suria KLCC, the KL City Tour Hop-On/Off Bus departs from around the corner, and the Bukit Bintang monorail station is just outside the door on Jalan Sultan Ismail. Not to mention the fleet of taxis at the Lobby door just waiting for your custom.

The staff are well mannered and well trained. The pool area is lovely the gym is great.

My only complaint is regarding the speed of check-in, which is always slow for some unknown reason. But this is only a minor glitch in what is otherwise a well run and well appointed Hotel in a fantastic location, charging a very reasonable room rate.

We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2011

Dear Ms tric1003,

We are so glad to have you back.Thank you for giving this opportunity to improve on our weaknesses of the last visit.

The Kopi cart is our relatively recent addition to our rChatz brasserie. We have been getting great reviews about our coffee and our resident "Kopi" uncle who brews the coffee and tea, malaysian style!!

Reviewed April 30, 2011

The service at ParkRoyal was absolutely superb, with a smile and efficient. On arrival, My husband and I noticed that the safe was broken and a staff member immediately attended to it as soon as we'd reported it. The bed was huge and we slept very comfortably that night.

Breakfast next morning was delightful and we were completely spoiled for choices! Our departure was swift and once again, efficient. My only complaint was the bellboy who carried our bags to the cab. He'd muttered under his breathe for the cabbie to quickly open the door, without realising that I was fluent in Malay. His lack of professionalism disappointed me however the stay was fabulous.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Dear Ms fuzzpop,

My apologies on the mulfunction room safe and the action of our bellman. We have taken note of your comment and have reminded all our concierge associates to be mindful of how we treat our support providers. Even if there is a need to hurry up the check out process, we can go about it politely.

On another note, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay & the food spread. We look forward to having you here with us again.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed at the Parkroyal in an Orchid Club Room for 6 nights just before Easter. I honestly can't fault this hotel. My room was lovely and everything was perfectly set out and worked. Perhaps if I could have one gripe it would be that the bed was too firm for me, but that is obviously a personal preference and does not take away from the fact that the room was super clean and comfortable. The shower water pressure was strong and the water hot. There was not one hiccup with housekeeping. Everything was replenished when it needed to be and the room was always made up before I returned to the hotel in the mid-afternoon.

The staff throughout the hotel was wonderful. The Orchid Club Lounge staff were a joy to meet every morning. I mentioned one day that I loved mango juice and, hey presto, from then on a glass magically appeared whenever I turned up in the lounge! The breakfast in the Lounge was adequate and very relaxed. There is an omlette menu and the chef can make eggs to order.

I ordered room service a few times and it was well priced, arrived promptly and was very tasty.

Security staff were very visible and always asked me how I was. In fact everyone I encounted smiled and said hello and were happy to chat if I wanted to. Just for everyone's information, I am a 57 year old female who was travelling alone to KL for the first time and I always felt safe at the Parkroyal.

As others have said, the hotel is well located. It is just a few minutes' walk away from all the major malls. There was a note in my room saying that the local 'council' were upgrading the pavements outside the hotel and there may be some slight noise. I didn't notice any although the pavement was all broken up and they were carting away the rubble. I think that they had already made all the noise they were going to!

Anyway, I had a great time and will definitely stay at the Parkroyal again next time.

Sue

Room Tip: Book an Orchid Club Room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Dear Ms sdaniel1,

Thank you for your great recommendation of our orchid club and also your commendation of our security associates! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

ondre.lim@parkroyalhotels

Reviewed April 28, 2011

As travel is a big part of my job . I usually just stay at an airport hotel while in transit to Europe, but I decided to have a night in KL centre.
I booked an Orchid Club room, and the whole experience was wonderful, and so relaxing. On arrival I was taken to the Orchid lounge to be checked in, by one of their attentive staff . My room consisted of flat screen TV, writing deck ETC, simply, but tastefully decorated , with a well appointed, glassed in bathroom, with massage spa shower , where you can sit and enjoy, very relaxing after a long haul flight with no sleep. I looked in at the Orchid club lounge, to be greeted by their fantastic staff, all so friendly and professional . Next morning, I had a swim, followed by lovely breakfast where the chef made my favourite eggs Benedict, while reading my newspaper in a relaxing environment .Leaving the hotel fully rejuvenated for the next leg of my trip.
The only negative I have is, regarding the Hotels in Kuala Lumpur , they have a hold over the taxi drivers . if you get a taxi from the front of KL hotels, the hotels make a big profit off the taxi drivers, and it relates back to the passengers. This should not happen !
So if you want to pay one quarter of the taxi price, just walk down a little way from your hotel a hail your airport taxi .By doing so, I paid 69 RM..
But apart from that little glitch , I enjoyed my stay at the Parkroyal Hotel KL and would like the thank all the lovely Orchid Club staff , the manager, and Reception staff for my stay. I will gladly return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Dear ms. lanaQueensland,

Thank you for such a detailed description & compliment on our hotel and services. I also especially like the photos you took. It looks very professional.

On your comment regarding the taxis, our hotel does have a contract with a taxi /limo company to provide a better category of taxis on standby at the lobby (the blue ones). These taxis are registered with us to ensure that we are able to track them if there are any items left behind and also to ensure that the quality of the cars and standard of service is maintained. The rates for transfer is fixed. That is why the rates are a little higher.

Alternatively, there are many local taxis which ply the area ( the red ones). Guests can request for them through our concierge who will turn on the taxi call light for any passing taxi to respond.The hotel does not know who they are and have no control over them. The fares are not fixed.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

We recently stayed here (wife & 2 kids) as a 2 day stopover on way to NZ. Mighty happy, generally, with all aspects of stay. Central, easy to get to, walking distance to lots of shops & restuarants. Hop-on hop-off bus left from round the corner. Our deal included breakfast - this was excellent. Rooms well appointed. Perhaps only gripe would be the expensive wifi access.
Highly recommended, overall.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank martingerardkelly

Dear Mr. martingerardkelly,

We are so glad to have had you and your family stay with us.

For complimentary access to internet and many other facilities in our hotel and other participating hotel brands, I would like to recommend you join the Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) which you could register online or we could assist you on your next visit here.

See you soon

Reviewed April 25, 2011

The hotel is ideally located, I am a first time visitor to KL so the location was excellent. Right near the monorail and a large shopping centre. Would use again.

Our check in was not good, took about half an hour, it was very late about midnight, it was quiet so we thought it would be a breeze, the staff were very slow, going over our paperwork again and again, only had one pen at reception and they were all trying to use it. It took far too long. Our room was clean and had everything we needed, the welcoming fruit tray was great - thanks!! we had a budget room so it was VERY small. Loved the food, breakfast was amazing and had lunch and dinner there as well, great quality and good variety.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade, basic room very small
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
OndreLim, Front Office Manager at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Dear Ms. Maryanneperth,

I apologise for the delay in your check in. It is not our usual standard of service that we take such a long time to check you in especially in the middle of the night. We will improve on this area.

Please do consider our club floor rooms on your next visit. The check in is on the club floor lounge located on the 6th floor.

We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast & other food offered in our restaurants.