“WATCHOUT FOR THIEVES ON MOTORCYCLES.”

Little India Brickfields
Book In Advance
More Info
$30.00*
and up
Half-Day Shopping and Market Exploration Tour in...
Ranked #71 of 319 things to do in Kuala Lumpur
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Celebrate Malaysia’s Indian heritage by poking around the temples and markets of Little India, Brickfields neighborhood.
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I just wanted to share my experience I encountered with a thief. After finishing shopping, I was waiting on the side of the road in brickfields to get a taxi. While I had my eyes on the road looking for taxi, suddenly a guy riding by close to me on a motorcycle tried to grab my gold chain and runaway on his motorcycle. I reacted quickly by holding my chain with one hand and I hit his hand away that was reaching for my neck. As I hit his hand he lost his balance and almost fell to the ground. But he didnt stop and he fled away on the motorcycle. It all happend in quick few seconds and I was in a bit of shock. By all of this, my chain was broken and I still had the chain in my hand. Luckily the thief couldnt snatch the chain away from me and he fled away. The owner of the store that I did shopping earlier, took the chain to a jewellery shop nearby and had it welded together again free of charge. I've been to Malaysia many times before and this was the first time I had robbery attempt thrown at me (few years ago I had my passport pickpocketed too). Thanks to the store owner for fixing my chain. If you are in KL, just watchout for these types of thieves, as they can come from anywhere and in any form. Just thought of sharing my experience with fellow travellers so they can be more careful.

13  Thank SERAN78
Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
"sari"
"silk"

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We really didn't feel very safe walking around in Little India and we were the only tourists there. Being a girl some of the guys were very intrusive in an extremely unpleasant way even though I was walking around with my parents. The first place I've been in KL that I would not recommend to anyone.

5  Thank matbl
Reviewed April 17, 2014

And I'm talking about the original Little India, near Petaling Street. There are great Indian restaurants. The area is small, you can see it all in 10 minutes, but there are some great Indian shops to go to. And the Indian food here is very good and good prices.

2  Thank ds1973
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Okay to view but not suggested for shopping as such. Good to see indians and many indian restuarants at once but i suggest not to buy anything here as they are costlier.

1  Thank TheRock777
See more reviews
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is indeed a Dark side of Kuala Lumpur hidden by surrounding major attractions, the main transportation terminal @ KL Sentral and luxury hotels ( Hilton, Le Meridien, Aloft and etc which is still under construction ) .
Travellers beware of all the dangerous drunk people roaming around the street ( especially in Brickfields and Jalan Thambipillay ) area and also beware of all those drunkards enjoying their cheap liquor in front of all those liquor shops ( why on earth the government approved all their licenses anyway ? ) , that is not all ! After 7.00pm , cheap service ladies shall roam the street freely looking for customers at around the Jalan Thambipillai dan Brickfields vicinity
Talking about rubbish, well what else can I say ? Just come and go to those back alleys and look by yourself on how dirty and disgusting this place now !
I am wondering what are the actions will be taken by the local authority ( especially DBKL ) about the above social issues ? Dont just busy issuing parking tickets while keeping a blind eye on the above .
As a summary to my review above, I truly believe that Little India of Kuala Lumpur will lost its charm if the above issues are not being solve .

4  Thank WanZaidi