“Not a must go”

and up
Private Tour: Kuala Lumpur Grand Full-Day Tour including Lunch
Ranked #33 of 273 things to do in Kuala Lumpur
More attraction details
Owner description: Muzium Negara was officially opened on 31 August 1963, on the site of the Selangor Museum, which was accidentally bombed during the Second World War.The main museum building houses four exhibition galleries featuring Malaysia’s history and rich cultural diversity. The Prehistory Gallery showcases the formation of the Malay Archipelago with findings of numerous important prehistoric archaeological sites in Malaysia. There's no need to book ahead, just be at the museum front desk about 10 mins before.Tours are in English - but tours in Malay, Mandarin, French, Japanese and other languages are also available. For the latest schedule, please check the museum website.
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Not a must go”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

The museum was hard to find from central metro station. There were no clear signs in the beginning, after 10 min walking the signs showed up. Inside it turned out that half of the museum was closed. As well, the information displayed was not really clear. There was not a real story line about the history of Malaysia. There were just random stories about happenings in the past. Very noisy due to the screaming kids. Not a must go if you are in KL.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Worth the money and time spent!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have not been to the National Museum since more than a few decades now...Now that I have my own family, I thought I share the experience with my spouse and son of 4 years of age especially when we saw the banner allover the national museum ( eveytime we pass by it during our journey tothe office) that it is showcasing Masks from all around the world! After making enquiries from the hotline, apparently the museum open all year round except during Eid (2 days)and Haj (1 day) celebration.

We decided to go there during Chinese New Year...surprisingly, there was a bit of crowd there. Some Malaysians and quite a number of tourists as well. I love the fact that it has a few attractions there: The main museum with entrance fee of only RM2 for locals and RM5 for foreigners, the showcase of Masks around the world is in a separate entrance with fee of RM5for locals and RM10 for foreigners and another museum orang asli (the aborigines of Malaysia).

We decided to go specificallyfor the showcase- which apparently changes a few times of the year for diferent themes. The Masks around the world mainly showcases masks used by local and aborigines of Malaysia forcertain rituals. There is even a caution sign not to touch themas it's used for rituals.

The setting looks a bit creepy with many scary looking masks hanging, my son immediately wanted to be carried. But we quite liked the idea of looking at the type of masks used in Malaysia-we are especially impressed by those handcrafted by the Mah Meri of Carey Island, Selangor- very fine work of art as compared to their other counterparts. We learnt a lot more about the masks in Malaysia where most are used in rituals during death, appease the soul of the dead and also in worshipping their ancestors. Some are used for entertainment even!

Despite the showcase being international, we did not learn much from masks around the world except to see their different shapes and sizes.

For the Fee, please don't compare this with National Gallery of Britain or the Louvre for that matter, it's nowhere near there but to me, it's good enough to spend an afternoon if you have some spare time. So, yes, go for a visit! I amlooking forward to their other showcases in the months to come.

Oh yes, to get there, one must have own vehicleor go by taxi. The MRT won't be ready so soon.

Visited February 2013
Budapest
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice exibition to get an insight, what Malaysia is about”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Liked: Nice exhibits, tells you a lot about the history of Malaysia, location of museum is close to main station
Disliked: a bit static, more multimedia would be good

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Christian K
Kulim, Malaysia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not cover all Malaysia history”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

In my point of view, a museum should tell a true history of a country from how does it to develop until today but I don't not think it cover all. During our visit, the museum is under renovation and we make a long walk to main entrance. No proper temporary sign board showing the visitors. The air-cond inside is cool but as I know, Chinese and Indian do contribute huge effort in develop Malaysia but not much mentioning. Anyway, my purpose is to let my children have a look at National Museum and I don't expected much from it.

Visited December 2012
melbourne
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Interesting displays and a good place to escape the monsoon rain”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The outside of the museum was under construction, so it was a little bit confusing to work out where the entrance was. Be warned, those with children might want to have their excuses already worked out for the snake/lizard man out the front - he's very persuasive!

Inside the museum, there was a special exhibit in the foyer area which was on the Malaysian Language. there are four permanent galleries, which start at prehistorical times and move through to modern Malaysia. the last of these galleries was undergoing renovations when I visited. I really enjoyed the exhibits in the galleries which were open - they had dioramas, fossils and artefacts as well as short 'holographic' movies and shows which explained the stories in greater detail.

The museum shop has a collection of souvenirs and snacks which are reasonably priced. I was unable to find where the toilets were located - I think that these may be outside along with a cafe.

I thought that this museum was put together really well and I enjoyed my visit. For those without a KL hop on/hop off bus pass (the paid one), it may be a little bit difficult to get to - particularly in the wet season. We ended up waiting a little while for a taxi. I am not sure about other public transport options.

Visited November 2012