“Light sleepers need not apply”
Review of Grid 9 Hotel

Grid 9 Hotel
Ranked #69 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
“Light sleepers need not apply”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Like others say, clean, across road (not next to) monorail, and very cheap. It's a hostel though so be prepared for loud doors and talking teenagers at 3am...they also haven't oiled door hinges, so every opening is loud...if that is not your thing, consider spending a little more

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Donday81
gridnine o, General Manager at Grid 9 Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Hi Donday 81,

Firstly we want to thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on the hotel. We are sorry to hear you weren't to pleased with your stay. In regards to some of the door hinges, we took note of it and have resolved the issue. Apologies on the few noisy guest at night, we can;t do much about it but we do tell guess to try keeping it down during late hours. Thanks for helping us improve . Take care and good luck in your future endeavors.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Firstly, the good stuff: close to monorail station, clean, and very good value for money. I'm a big fan of the flashpacker type accommodation in Bangkok and Singapore and I'm glad that KL is catching up.

Now, the bad stuff. As the title above, the front desk staff caused me to miss my flight and RM300 in the process.

What happened was that the front desk staff on 26 Oct around 5pm took my Identity Card for photocopy upon check-in, but neglected to pass it back to me. Now, this could have easily been rectified with a phone call, SMS or even a note under my room door. They could even have left a note with my RM50 deposit so I can collect it upon check out. But nope, nothing was done.

Common sense is lost on these guys.

I didn't have to use my Identity Card the entire day, and I didn't even realize it was missing until I was at the airport wanting to check-in for my flight.

Made a phone call back to the hotel, found out that my identity card was still there and by the time I collected it, my flight had already departed. I'm RM265 poorer (RM70 KLIA Express trains and RM150 flight + RM45 extra night in the same hotel). And no apologies from the hotel whatsoever.

- Kenny from Room 311, 26 Oct.

Room Tip: Make sure you get your IC or Passport back after you check-in
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank kennysia
gridnine o, General Manager at Grid 9 Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Kenny,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on our hotel. We are glad you were satisfied with the hotel in general however we truly apologize for the incident regarding your IC. We investigated this issue and wrote a response to your tripadvisor account. Thank you and take care

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Hotel was very good for a reasonable price. Location is very good as it is right next to a Monorail station for getting into the city. The centre of Chinatown is only a 5 minute walk away. Rooms were a decent size with a bathroom attached. Hotel is on a very busy road with constant traffic however not too much sound could be heard and no sleep was disturbed. Breakfast wasn't included but there was a cafe downstairs which provided it very cheap. Staff were helpful. Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lexxy1985,

Thanks for reviewing our hotel. We are glad you chose to stay with us and you found your stay to be a pleasant one. Take care and good luck in your future endeavors.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is ideally located, clean and comfortable. However the following was our personal experience. We booked through Asia Rooms.com which was a link on tripadvisor. We did our research and booked well in advance. In fact, 6 weeks in advance, paying the higher room rate for their Deluxe double room with the King size bed. When we arrived at 2pm we were told the room was not ready. We waited for over an hour and were then informed that the rooom we had booked was not available but that they had a room with 2 single beds available for us. This was an awkward moment as the hotel manager was not offering to give it to us for a reduced price to compensate for their mistake and did in fact charge us the higher rate. We had no option than to take the room as it was getting late. They had our credit card details and so to add insult to injury on the second night we had a very late phone call in our room from the front desk. Very late indeed, mid night, requesting payment for the room. In all my years as a senior traveller I have never been called at such a late hour asking for payment for a room. Also, unfortunately they have a lift that announces every floor it comes to, very loudly. You would expect this in a high rise hotel, but come on, they only have 3 floors and it is so loud at night that it wakes you up. At night and all night there seems to be a slamming of doors and loud talking. I believe this to be staff and not hotel guests as there seemed to be alot of yelling and organising which happened on both nights. The manager on duty on this particular day, which was a saturday, was not accommodating to us and was of no help. However, the day desk staff were warm and friendly as stated by previous trip advisor posts. I woud hope that the management reading this review will take note of these points raised and stream line booking procedures and hotel policies i.e calls after 11 pm.. We noted that the manager was sitting in the office while the young man on the desk was having to deal with lines of guests booking in and he didn't seem to be receiving any assistance from anyone else. Overall we had a pleasant stay even though my husband and i had to sleep in single beds on our final night of a 5 month trip throughout sth east asia.

Room Tip: Don't be surprised if you don't get what you've paid for. Better equipped for back pack...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Karen M
Dear Karen M,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time and providing us with constructive feedback on our hotel. I truly apologize on behalf of the hotel for your unpleasant experience during your stay with us. I believe during your stay with us we were in between hotel managers and thus experienced a little dip in our hotel service level during this period. Please find our responses to the issues you raised:

a) Getting a late call from duty manager regarding payment. - We happen to experience a malfunction with our Credit card terminal and we allowed guest to pay after checking in. The staff that called you was an inexperience member and we are sorry you were disturbed at a late hour.

b) Lift sound - We have addressed this issue and apologize if it disturbed your sleep
c) Check in time - We have a check in time of 'Not before 3pm' unless the room happens to be available.
d) Getting the different room type - I apologize for the way my manager managed your case, we would have offered a lower room rate as you got a different room from your booking.
e) Noise from the hallway - our staff are instructed to organize and perform their tasks without raising their voices, especially at the room levels. we will look into it to see if this is still happening.

I hope you find our responses satisfactory and if you are in KL again and decide to stay with us, please do let me know and I will do all I can to ensure you have a enjoyable stay with us.

Jonathan
GRID 9
Koln
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Everything looked brand new and clean. Slept in a super pod (4 beds in a room). First night I had the room just for myself. Toilet and shower are behind a door in the same room. Like in a hotel (but no shampoo etc provided). Lounge was cozy. Fresh linen and towels are provided. Just 30 seconds to the Monorail station (Maharajalela). Would definitely stay there again! And I am really picky!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rog C.,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you were satisfied with your stay. Take care and good luck on your future endeavors.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Before going to this hotel, I stayed Tune Hotel close to LCCT terminal. And it was very bad.
This hotel costs even cheaper that bad one so I was a bit worried, but I relied on the reviews of tripadvisor.
The review was effective. Very modern, clean, well located. Also staffs are friendly. Thanks

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
gridnine o, General Manager at Grid 9 Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Ayana T,

Thanks for choosing GRID 9 and for taking the time to post a kind review about us. Take care and good luck in everything .

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I'm a business traveller and really, I only require a room that is located in the city, easy access to public transport, with internet access and a quick meal. All the above has been met and some! For the price I paid, (why I believe is pretty much the regular rates of hotels that are older) the room was clean, no hassles in booking or checking in. The staff were helpful enough in asking if I was a tourist or required any travel advice.

Food- There's a little cafe/restaurant that had pretty decent food. If you're there for a quick bite and dash, I'd recommend it. There's also a restaurant downstairs, but I didn't have time to try that out.

Transport - Right opposite the train station. Give you access to anywhere in town and Sentral station. It's also on a busy road and the taxis know exactly where it is.

Facilities - the cafe is decent. There's beer and a pool table too which was great after work.

Generally, I'd recommend this place for business travellers, small groups/families and backpackers. Kinda boutique-ish

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
gridnine o, General Manager at Grid 9 Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Ultimos,

Thanks for choosing GRID 9 and sharing your feedback here. We are glad you were happy with your stay and we look forward to possibly hosting you again. Take care and good luck in everything.

Yours sincerely,