“A fine dining in the dark!”

Dining In The Dark KL
Ranked #2 of 4,340 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A restaurant in total darkness. A completely new sensory experience. Dining in The Dark KL, the very first of its kind in Malaysia.The optic nerve is overridden – your other senses take over. Every sound, every movement, every taste, every breath is an adventure!Thoughtfully designed and carefully prepared surprised menu fit for a fine dining—Starter, Soup, Main, Dessert—with varying flavours to give your palate a wonderful experience and your mind... an exciting challenge!
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Up for a challenge eating in the dark just like the blind? Try Dining In The Dark then!

Me & 2 friends were there recently & we had a great time dining there. The meal set is MYR98++ which includes an appetizer, soup, main course with 3 different dishes, dessert with 3-4 different varieties on the same plate & coffee/ tea after meal. Drinks are not included & we've to order a drink before we enter into the dark room but you may order normal drinking water when you're seated inside with no extra charges.
The drinks in the menu is not expensive as the total bill comes to about MYR151.00 per person (includes a glass of sangria).

You'll be briefed by the experienced staff & be guided into the dark room (seriously very dark) by their very professional blind waiters/ waitress. They'll even teach you how to feel the culinary, tables, get used to the dark environment & how to eat (which dish to start with).

The entire menu will only be revealed after the dinner is over! It's a very challenging experience to not only eat in the dark but test on your taste bud! ;)

Pls do not bring any valuable belongings as all mobile phones or bags has to be surrended & locked in a personal locker outside the dark dining room. Since it's really dark, not advisable to wear heels for ladies just incase you need to go to the washroom in between meals (you can call out the waiter's name & they'll guide you out to the washroom).

8  Thank msbel2012
Nicole_Pua_DID, Manager at Dining In The Dark KL, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Hi,

Sounds like an adventure for you and your friends! It is definitely a glimpse into the life of a totally blind person.

Yes, our current menu (Classic Menu) is priced at RM98++ but, our upcoming "Gourmet Menu" would be a different pricing.

The whole meal would last approximately an hour and a half to two hours as a 4-course dinner will be served; combination of more than 10 dishes of varying flavours, aromas and textures.

Anyway, I hope you would return to try the new ideas of our new chef. The whole team is excited with all the fun we had when going through the creative menu. No, do not worry, we do not serve anything exotic or creepy-crawlies or, gory.

See you soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I took my wife here as a birthday treat and arrived feeling quite nervous at the approaching meal. We were soon introduced to Tom our waiter who immediately made us feel relaxed and at ease. Tom remained close by our side throughout the evening and always on hand to help if needed. The feeling of "ineptness" that you will undoubtedly feel when dining here is surely part of the experience and i think you should arrive with that thought in mind. We did have a rather noisy crowd in the room with us but this in no way can be put down to the restaurant. Nicole (manageress i think) came to us during the meal to make sure we were enjoying our night and apologised for the noise which was a really nice touch.

The food was very good and there was ALOT of it! It was good fun trying to guess the different dishes being served - i think we managed maybe 50% :-)

We will be going back with friends and family to share this unique experience with them. If you want food and an experience then this is the place to go in KL!

Thanks Tom!

5  Thank SFayers

Hello,

We are glad you and your wife have enjoyed the whole experience. Thong (pronounced Tong which sounds very much like Tom) was more than happy to have been at your service.

The next time you come, I hope we could arrange a live Chopin piece for you :)

Hope to see you again soon when you come with friends and family!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Going to DiningInTheDark for a meal didn't sound appealing to me at first, because I honestly would like to see my dining companion's face when I take her out for a meal. However, this place came highly recommended by a friend so I took a chance. I kinda knew what to expect already.
I was wrong.
The experience was fresh, totally unexpected and amazingly satisfying! The food was topnotch (except I found the maincourse a little heavy and I couldn't finish the food). My date and I were blown away by how much fun we actually had dining here.
Put it this way... if anyone asked me where to bring a date to (be it a good friend, prospective boyfriend/girlfriend, partner/spouse) for a great meal and wonderful experience, I'd name this place without hesitation. This has been by far the best dining experience I've had, and I've travelled to many countries and had many times been to theme restaurants and what-have-you. Just a definite must try. Put this on your bucket list, and rank it in the top 5.

6  Thank JonathanLien

Hi Jonathan,

What an enthusiastic response! We are glad that you and your friend have enjoyed both the food and the experience.

The whole team of Dining In The Dark KL (from chef to guide to back of the house to hostess) is delighted when we know our diners have had a marvellous time at ours. It is a great motivation, and we aim to do even better.

Thank you for your confidence and we look forward to seeing you again as you taste the fresh ideas of our new chef, Nigel Richter.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Experience:

We booked this restaurant for a special occasion and to try something different. I would say that the experience, for my wife and I, was not something we particularly enjoyed. The experience itself was rather uncomfortable and the occasion (such that it was) was somewhat ruined by the raucous people at other tables and the intermittent shushing noises from some vague location elsewhere.

The food:

This was the main disappointment. We expected to be served easy to eat, morsel sized food that tasted good. Instead, we were given food you might normally expect to eat in a restaurant, so spent our entire time fumbling around trying to eat the meal, missing the plate, dropping food and generally feeling inept. On top of that, the main course was disappointingly bland and I would have hoped for something at least slightly asian-influenced. It seems that the concept has overwhelmed the main event.

Service:

Service was excellent and the waiters really made this a better occasion - their attention to detail was spot on - if only service was this good in all restaurants.

1  Thank Jared75

Dear Jared,

Thank you for writing and your compliment on our service.

At Dining In The Dark KL, we do our best to make the dining experience a special and wonderful memory for each diner. However, circumstances are not always within our control. Therefore, we would usually advise couples to dine with us on less busy days so they could have a quieter atmosphere while having a conversation as well as enjoying each other's company (bearing in mind mobile phones or tablets are stored away prior to dinner).

After several months of "simple and familiar" food, we are now moving on to fresher challenge for your palate. Asian flavours might be incorporated, but the current morsel size food will definitely continue.

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Dining in the dark was a first for me! It surpassed my expectations.

I reserved a table two days before my scheduled trip. However, on the day itself it rained heavily that resulted to traffic jam in the city. So I called the restaurant to inform them that I'll be late. They were kind enough to accommodate me in the next hour.

The waitress, Anne was nice. She entertained me while waiting for Darius to assist me inside the dark room. She also introduced me to the owner who was also kind enough to check how I was. Darius and Nicole (the manager) will instruct you where your food is located.

I only guessed 80% of the dishes that were served but I got perfect with the desserts. While you eat, you imagine the shape, the texture, the taste of your food. It will excite you guessing what food you take in.

While eating, someone played the piano. It's really amazing because you cannot see a single cm of light inside.

When I go back to KL, I'll definitely go back here and will even ask my friends to check this out.

5  Thank BeverlyHeels

Hi Beverly,

It was great that you came despite the heavy rain, which is happening rather often lately.

And what more, it was admirable that you came and take up the challenge without any doubt. Did you picture the food you had? Did you have your eyes closed? Most has mentioned that closing one's eyes is more relaxing and makes it easier to concentrate.

Glad you like the piano music. We look forward to incorporate more live music such as the flute, violin and so on in the nar future. Look forward to seeing you again!!! Thank you for dining with us!