“Pleasant Stay”

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #7 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Recently I had a night stay at the Majestic as it was highly recommended by visitkl.com.The location does not satisfy me.It is slightly far apart to city but at least the hotel provides shuttle service, so services provided still consider good.

My room was deluxe new wing.It was slightly spacious than those normal ones.The bedsheet and pillow were clean and arranged tidy.Suprisingly, they do not provide toothbrush/paste/comb/razer...etc.For me, bathroom amenities provided were quite excellent, but less of some.

Pool was great although I didn't use it but I saw it from my room window. We didn't have breakfast there as the price does not include breakfast but we had high tea at the tea lounge and orchid conservatory.I really indulge in the aroma of orchids and feeling relax enough.Check out was slow and I had never experience queueing during check out.It was bad.

Overall, I rate this hotel with 8.5/10.A five star hotel should give their utmost to their guests.Gladly, I appreciate much my one night stay in the Majestic. Hopefully I can see some changes on services for my next time.

• Stayed July 2013
Wayne L, Manager at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Thank you for your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and comments as this information will be very valuable in helping us to continually improve our guest experience. I do apologize for the check out experience and assure you that we will improve. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We transited in KL both ways for a few nights either side of our Vietnam holiday. We hadn't booked anything on the return but decided to come back to Majestic as the service was great first time round, the hotel was nice and quiet....a blessing..the lobby was tasteful...the original wing was gorgeous.
The room was comfortable, the food and beverages all good. Great services re transfers etc.
The staff booked Melbourne Peking duck for us, which was delicious by the way. When we were running late they called the restaurant...lots of proactive service.... I will stay here again when stopping through KL.

1 Thank pinktori71
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Thank you for this excellent review. It was a pleasure having you with us again and we’re pleased to read that you had an excellent stay. We truly appreciate your support and look forward to your next stop through KL.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Majestic Hotel KL was beautifully restored to its former glory with a modern new wing added to it. The hotel is just a short distance from KL Central, opposite to the Moorish style Old Railway Station.
Check in lobby is located at the new wing. The room is ideal in size, warm color tone and tastefully decorated. The poster bed gave a colonial feel to this modern room with an L-shaped sofa at the ceiling to floor glass wall. Bathroom is a bit small with double vanities but lack of space to place your own toiletries. The rain shower is strong and powerful and soaking in the stand alone bathtub after a day of sight-seeing was an indescribable joy. The bath amenities are Crabtree & Evelyn which was once used by the Hilton Group many years ago. Room is spotless after all it is only 7 months old.
The Contango Restaurant is an all day dining restaurant with an open kitchen concept. Buffet dinner was excellent. The dinner buffet spread was huge ranging from Asian to Western. Business was very good, may be due to breaking of fasting. Breakfast spread was about ½ of the dinner buffet. But don’t worries, you still have a lot of things to eat. Service during breakfast was not as good. Used plates took a long time to be cleared. There were only 4/5 waiters (foreigner) on duty. The lack of a restaurant manager or Captain to supervise the team might be the root cause.
At the old majestic wing, the tea lounge serves traditional English afternoon tea. During my stay, I noticed that almost all the patrons were ladies. May be ladies can enjoy life better than men. The Orchid Conservatory in between the old and new wings also serves high tea which is worth a try. The bar with its original gold-leafed domed ceiling is a nice place for a drink or cocktail, meanderings around while entertained by live music at night. The majestic wing also houses the neo-classical Colonial Café. The Smoke House opposite the Orchid Observatory houses a card room, cigar room, a screening lounge, barber salon and a private dining room.

Recreation facilities consist of a spa centre next to the old majestic Wing. Both the swimming pool and fitness centre are located on the 4th floor of the new wing. The hotel also provides free shuttle service to the Golden Triangle Shopping District and KL Sentral in big luxury buses hourly and half hourly respectively.
Services were excellent. As most of the staff wears the same cream color suit, it was difficult to differentiate their actual positions, whether they are the Concierge, the front office, the PR or the Restaurant staffs. But Staffs like Hon and Francis must be praised for their excellent services and hospitalities.
Check-out was fast too. Based on the Malaysia Airlines Enrich program “World of Riches”, a stay at the Majestic Hotel before 31st July shall entitle to double Enrich miles. But when I made an enquiry, the front office answered me the hotel is not participating. So I don’t know who is right or wrong. May be the Hotel Manager or the GM could answer my question.

Nevertheless, this is an excellent and unique luxury hotel. I will try the Majestic Wing during my next visit to KL.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Huat88
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience. We’re really pleased to read that overall, you find our hotel and its services excellent and unique. I apologize for the shortfall in breakfast service, and for the misinformation about the MAS Enrich program participation. Our office has since contacted you to resolve this and please do call on me if I can be of further assistance. We will take steps for continual improvement and again, we thank you for sharing your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay we stayed on the city light package so had just come from the delightful Tanjong Jara resort. Had we have not been on the package I'm sure we would have stayed where we normally do Ritz Carlton, Sheraton, Westin, etc. And having stayed at many of the hotels in Bukit Bintang we would not hesitate to stay at the Majestic again despite its distance from "down town".
Our room was stunning, the amenities perfect. The pool was lovely, so refreshing.
Transfers from KL Sentral were quick and easy, as were the transfers in and out of Bukit Bintang.
One night we caught a cab back to the hotel and the driver had no idea where were talking about but he eventually found it so I suggest you take a business card to give to any drivers who don't know.
Breakfast was delicious a great selection to choose from.
Staff were friendly and professional.
Would have liked to have been able to take some photos in the orchid room rather from ouside - its so beautiful it seems such a waste to have it closed. I expect if the doors were closed it would protect the orchids by maintaining the environment but allow guests to enjoy their beauty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mumof1fromGlenIris
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Thank you for your kind review. My team and I are delighted that we have met your expectations in a Majestic way. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for more Majestic moments!
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed for four nights, and was very positively impressed by the hotel, with a particularly positive experience with the Concierge, who showed that he thought about our further trip (without me having asked about it, he deducted it from another piece of information): he warned me about a potential problem and solved it pro-actively!
The colonial building is fantastic, the newly built Tower wing also has style and grandeur, plus all the technology you would expect nowadays. The only thing missing in this hotel is buzz. For whatever reason, it was nearly empty, which is great on one side (as you get 3 employees to take care of one guest), but somehow sad.
And actually I don't understand why: the prices are definitely good compared to the other KL luxury hotels, the name and heritage are given, the location is not that bad either (and there are regular complementary shuttle buses (to Bukit Bintang and KL Sentral),
There is one caveat in the room: the bathroom is separated from the main room by glass (someone else pointed that out already). There are additional curtains now, but it still isn't the same as a wall. So if you're not very familiar with your travelling partner, you might feel a bit awkward...

Room Tip: The Colonial wing is a world in itself, if you can afford it...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Thank you for affording us the recent opportunity to be of service, and for taking the time to review your experience. We are delighted to read that your stay was a positive one. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I enjoyed my 3 night stay at the newly refurbished Majestic Hotel but beware of hidden costs.

We booked the standard room in the new wing and was delighted to be upgraded to a junior suite. The suite is spacious, beautifully decorated in tones of gold, grey and brown and was situated at a corner of the building so that the views over the KL cityscape were good. Bathroom was also a good size and I enjoyed a long soak in the free standing bathtub on a couple of occasions during our stay. Hotel also supplied Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries which are much nicer than the usual stuff. Bed was very comfy and had reading lights attached to each side which I thought was a good idea.

The décor in the rest of the hotel is beautiful and some of the dining spaces such as the Colonial café and Tea Lounge were particularly impressive in terms of furnishings and ambience. I loved the look of the Orchid Conservatory but unfortunately entry is not permitted unless you book it for a function or pay extra to go in there for high tea.

I was also pleased with the service. The staff are obviously trained to greet the guests constantly which can feel a bit too much at times however I did appreciate the smoothness in which our train transfer was arranged to the airport which included the train fare as well as part of our package.

Now, for the negatives. The hotel's location is a problem if you just want to duck out for a quick coffee or snack. There are no shops or cafes in proximity. So if you want a cup of coffee with milk (as they only supply the horrible powdered stuff in the room), you have to pay more than $8.00 AUD in the hotel restaurants. Another night we had a pot of tea and a soft drink in the lounge which also ended up being very expensive. This to me is pretty outrageous! Even in fine dining restaurants in Sydney, you would not be charged such prices.

Overall, I had a pleasant experience at the Majestic but it was marred somewhat by the exorbitant beverage prices.

Room Tip: Go for the corner junior suites which have added space and light.
5 Thank May S
Wayne L, Manager at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Thank you for affording us the recent opportunity to be of service to you. We are constantly striving to improve our customers’ satisfaction levels and we appreciate your feedback on your experience with us. Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Did my proposal here back in April and I am very satisfied with their services. I really appreciate the special arrangements they made for us (cake, flower petals, beddings) and room upgrade to a junior suite for this special occasion. They even arranged for someone to assist me with my preparations. The next day during breakfast, they congratulated us and even took a photo of us for our keeping.

The room was spacious and comes with everything you need. The bathroom is open concept so it's good for couples staying. We had buffet dinner at contango which has quite a wide selection of food ranging from asian to western. The breakfast spread was pretty good too.

The hotel is probably the only hotel in Kuala Lumpur with a colonial feel, which makes it different from other hotels and it was also the main reason I picked it for my proposal. It has definitely left a deep impression and memorable experience for me and my fiancee.

We even thought of taking our prewed shoot here since it has a special meaning to us. Unfortunately, they don't allow such photoshoot unless you are doing a reception or event there.

We'll definitely come back here for our anniversary!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Once again, congratulations and may the both of you be blessed with many loving years ahead! Your successful marriage proposal here adds another chapter to Majestic’s history. Thank you for the excellent review and we look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary.