We found this on Agoda and got a colonial suite for a great price - I would recommend a last minute booking as the hotel has only recently opened and is very unlikely to be at full capacity - we felt like the only guests at times.
The refurbishment is very well done and it feels very different to the glass 'n' steel skyscraper hotels in KL.
The good things (there are lots of these):
1. Location is 5 mins in a cab from KL Sentral Station
2. The hotel is new (albeit one with an old and interesting history) and so the rooms are spotless
3. They have an orchid room - it's beautiful
4. The cocktails are superb - they take a while to be made but are worth it (The Straits Sling - a precursor to the Singapore Sling is excellent)
5. Nice evening cabaret with band - again with a family historical connection to the hotel's hey day
6. Free shuttle to drive you anywhere in KL (this was the best feature and I think you need to be in a suite to get this). The driver was a great chap who always found us even in the busiest of locations.
7. The pool in front of the spa is great - we were the only people in it and it was one of those rare cloud-free sunny KL days.
8. Nice colonial touches - doormen in tropical fatigues etc.
1. You are assigned a butler but this was fairly chaotic and we never knew who was doing what and why
2. The concierge sent us to a restaurant that was closed on Sundays - on a Sunday. Even after me explaining she should ring first to check they were open.
3. Breakfast is only so-so - the pastries weren't good for example
4. Whilst the staff are well meaning and endlessly friendly, we felt we were being stalked half the time as there were so few guests and didn't or couldn't execute a 5* service model - yet. Better training and key positions need more experienced staff.
5. The black floors in the room stain your feet
6. No business centre - getting admin done was a palava
This hotel wil get busier - and it deserves to busier. If you can cope with the inconsistencies in service you will enjoy staying here. It's different to other hotels in KL and would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur was built in the 1930s and was ranked as one of Southeast Asia's grandest hotels. Re-opening in December 2012, the hotel is poised to reclaim this former glory; its piece-de-resistance will be The Majestic Wing, whose Neo-Classical details have been meticulously restored. An annexe, housing the majority of the plush rooms, was designed to complement the historic building. A spa has been designed in art-deco fashion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Prestigia, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.