3-Hour Private Street Food Walking Tour in Kuala Lumpur

Book in advance
from
$114.63
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Bukit Tabur
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 13, 2019 via mobile

Forestry Department announced from now on will take stern action on those who trespassed into Bukit Tabur as it was officially closed. Do look out,latest amended act for this offence can get fine up to RM30,000 & jail not more than 1 year. Try your luck if don't believe me...

Date of experience: October 2019
21  Thank petercws
Reviewed September 3, 2019

Second time coming here for hike. It is not an easy one and dangerous if you fall. Need to use hands to climb at some parts.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed August 24, 2019

As of 24 Aug 2019:
This is my first time in KL. Solo hiking.

I took LRT to Gombak station. From there caught Grab to the beginning of the West trail (Kaki Bukit Tabur West - as specified in Google Maps). Grab cost me 9 RM.

The entrance is exactly as pinned in Google Maps (just search for Kaki Bukit Tabur West), but it was yellow taped everywhere. Obviously someone didn't want people to go there. I was hesitating whether to cross the tape and start the trail when I saw locals going down. They assured me that tape can be disregarded, it is safe and a lot of people are up there. So I went.

Mosquitoes: there were little at the beginning when I started (8 am), but none afterwards.

There were many people on the trail, including regular locals. NONE of them had the pass. I know it is required by law now, but place where to buy the pass is God knows where. At the end, pass won't save you, ropes and common sense will. Hence, I didn't worry about buying a pass.

Obviously, time to the summit depends on physical preparation of a hiker, but 1.5-2 hours to make it to the top would-be realistic. I did it in 1.5 hours, though overtook many groups on a way. And yes, I stopped at every ridge to look at the views and take photos. I didn't run like crazy. Although it was my comfortable pace.

Time to start: there are many reviews that say people start at 6 am when it is still dark (and a lot of mosquitoes around!). The reason - while it is still fresh outside, later towards midday it'll get too hot. I disagree. I started at 8 am. It was comfortable. Many groups have already been on a way. Beautiful views start almost immediately, what's the point starting when it is dark, so you won't see the beauty?

Water: I brought 4 L of water with me. This helped me a lot! Though I saw locals with just 0.5 L bottles in their hands... Depends on how much you drink of course. But believe me, you will be sweating a lot regardless of whether you start at 6am or 8am, water is a must there.

Difficulty: unless you are the first time hiker and never attempted to climb a little rock, it'll be a challenge, otherwise fairly easy one. Again, like I said before: pass won't save you, ropes and common sense will. There are ropes provided on every turn. I think more that actually required, making the trail quite safe. If you think and don't go off the trail too far, you'll be safe.

The West peak is not as spectacular as the rest of the trail. Take as many photos on your way up as you can. Peak will disappoint you. I met two locals and chatted with them. They said the trail is circular. Just before the peak, there is a steep trail that goes to the left down. If you take it, you'll end up on Jalan 2/4b Rd. (according to Google Maps). This is where I ended up at 10 am. Mane people take the same way down as the way up.

Then I had enough water, food and energy left, so I decided to go to the East. Short walk to the Bukit Tabur East Trailhead (as specified in Google Maps). This is where East trail starts. Just past the two big pipes. Then I met a local again. He warned me that there is a guy sitting up the trail at the wooden hut and charging 5 RM for entry. Local said this is "no good". If you keep going to the right instead of turning left where the guy sits and the official beginning of the East trail, then you'll be able to go to another trail which will eventually join the main trail to the East peak. So I did. Saved 5 RM :-)

I shortly joined the main trail and went up. Accidentally I missed a turn left to the East peak and ended up on the Far East peak! Watch the turn left just past the hut on your right not too far from the beginning of the trail.

Far East turned out to be an easy one. There is a fork on a way: left - Far East, right - Extreme. I didn't go extreme. Looked really extreme, to be honest.

From the Far East there is a trail marked with ribbons that leads to the East peak - as advised by another local I met. This trail is not clearly visible, ribbons are the only indicators to follow. So I went.

East peak turned out to be more difficult than the Far East, but doable. The only difference between West and East/Far East is that West has steel ropes, whereas East/Far East - non metallic ropes. Since ropes hang above the rock they tend to rub against the rock and tear off. This makes steel ropes much safer and reliable option. The non metallic ones in some locations are left with maybe just half of its original thickness. Watch the rope carefully before you rely your life on it.

I finished East at about 12 pm. The guy in the hut who was charging 5 RM wasn't there anymore.

Phone reception was good everywhere I went.

So, I ended up doing West, East and Far East in the same day, thus can subjectively rank all three trails in their difficulty:

West: 1 (take it as base, difficulty =1)

East: 0.8 (only because it has the last vertical climb of about 20m up pretty difficult)

Far East: 0.5 (the easiest one)

Grab - on my back to the train station. a bit of waiting though. Awesome day!

Hopefully this review will help other people.

Date of experience: August 2019
24  Thank 218anatoliia
Reviewed July 13, 2019

A short hike when compared with Tabur West and East. The view of Klang Gate damn is nice and picturesque. There is a short climb with rope but not too dangerous.

Date of experience: July 2019
2  Thank ashrafazrol
Reviewed February 24, 2019 via mobile

Great hike, a bit of a scramble at times, and a really rewarding sunrise. There are ropes and handles planted in the rocks which help massively. If you go all the way up and continue after the busy sunrise people gathering, there are 2-3 steep bits with no ropes or handles so you just need to be a bit careful. The whole Tabur West loop can easily be done in less than 2.5 hours without too many stops.

Date of experience: February 2019