“Everything was fine, until theft happened..”

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #2 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Everything was fine, until theft happened..”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

It's one of my favourite hotel apart from the one next door.

Talk about the food, breakfast is good, JP Teres serves very good local food lunch buffet and in the evening 38 has an amazing night view of KLCC with a pleasant live band (sometimes even in a 5 star hotel, you find the band too loud, the songs are not right and can be quite annoying).
I had my buka puasa buffet on the first week, food quality dropped a little bit but overall still OK. On the last week of puasa, I went there again. The food quality wasn't similar to the first buffet visit, satay was slightly overcooked and the seafood corner wasn't that attractive.

During that last buffet visit, when I was about to leave the place, I found out that my purse was missing. Someone took it while I left my bag unattended. I must have been stupid for having such a high confidence and trust that my belongings are safe in this 5* hotel (in fact for the past few times of my visit to this hotel, I left my bag on my seat but it was safe). I reported this incident to the manager. A few of the staffs attended to us and said "this is the first time theft happened". When I asked if the CCTV is able to record it, one security officer said "NO" immediately, and another said "might be, we will check". Well, there were 2 CCTVs at each corner but unable to record, perhaps it is only to safeguard the cashier? When I was about to leave, another staff said: "We will look into this matter, however this is a public place, the hotel won't be responsible on this incident..."

I seriously don't know how shall I react on it. All their replies made me think that it is impossible to locate my purse, I don't even know if they did really look for it and the person who took my purse.

Overall, this is still one of the best hotel in town. Lesson learned. I still recommend Grand Hyatt, just be careful of your belongings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A short stay 2D1N at this new hotel with my husband and my one year old boy. We had a Grand View room. Rather confused when we got up to ground floor after parked our car in the basement, as the lobby is not there actually but at the highest floor of the hotel 39th floor. I can say you are welcomed by panorama view of KL city, where KLCC twin tower is just a window away.... Overall, staffs are polite and helpful. The room's design is decent and modern, but we are having problem with the lightning, as there is no central control point for all the lights. KLCC view from the room is magnificent as the window design is from ceiling to floor. The bath tub is rather small and the rain shower switch functioned inconsistently. The bath room is designed with open concept, where you can enjoy the view while relaxing in the bath tub. They used smart glass in designing the bath room, where you can switch open or close the window at your wish. We took some time to find the bath room door, as it is attached to the wall. In room service menu is rather disappointing as not much choices. The swimming pool design is great and relaxing, but, the water is a bit too cold and salty. I had a massage session at ESSA spa, the experience is just OK. We walked in for an afternoon tea at Thirty8 and luckily we got a seat, the staff was really helpful in getting us a place, however, we don't like sweet stuffs, so, the afternoon tea is just so so and rather lack of choices as well. The lift is not convenient as you need to change lift at lobby every time you wish get to the ground floor and not all lifts at your room floor reach to the swimming pool and the lift is slow..... We actually expect more than this but turn out that there are still much rooms for improvement.

Room Tip: Try to get a view room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After a few years staying at mainly one hotel in KL I tried the new Grand Hyatt. It is great, well located, accommodation at a very high standard and professional attentive staff. The rooms are really well laid out and have all facilities one would want on a professional trip. The layout of the restaurant with music at night so that it flows over to the foyer and into the club area is really smart. The only drawback is the need to go to the top level foyer always on arrival and then navigate the internal lift to get to your accommodation floor - that adds time in getting in and out of the hotel. But in all other respects this is a great property and well worth staying at.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GHKualaLumpur, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. As a repeat visitor to Kuala Lumpur we appreciate you trying our hotel, and hope you will continue to stay with us in the future. During your next visit, please allow us to show you how to get to the Ground Floor from your guest room via the Spa. It still requires two lifts, but you may find it more convenient than using the Sky Lobby as you come and go from the building.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2013

the location of this Hyatt property is excellent. right opposite of the Petronas Tower the hotel boosts amazing views from the room. I stayed in a Grand Suite and indeed the suite is very big. most other hotels would call such a Grand room Executive suite. the f+b facilities are ok, there is a nice band playing under the lobby every evening. The pool area is quiet remote and relatively small, when I was there it was extremely crowded and there was no space for me to lounge.
service through the call centre was at times not existing and I had to call several times to get things arranged. Also the econcierge service was not very good. I had ordred an airport pick up, which I found to be cancelled just a day before. It took me several calls to rearrange the same. additionally I booked a pick up in a 5 series BMW, but was picked up and charged 7 series. make sure you print out your original request. in my case they continued at check out to insist charging for a 7 series pick up.
the hotel is really modern, good location, but staff could be more concentrated on work and try to get things done in time and as requested.
for the location and the room quality I can recommend the hotel. I tried a few others in KL and this is good value.

Room Tip: ask for a room with Petronas Tower view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

New hotels are always nice, especially 5 stars.Huge rooms,very nice beds. Great service .I do like the reception at the 38th floor , when the lifts open you do get an amazing view over the petrona towers .Breakfast as also at the 38th floor they have an Asian and a western buffet, with amazing views over the city.The poll area is just beautiful. The spa is a must, really great massages ,Highly recommended.The rooms are huge with amazing bathroom over looking the city.The only complaint (sorry) is that the morning light comes trough the bathroom in to the bedroom whilst the bedroom curtains are full blackout.... Don't get it.

Room Tip: Room with a view ? A must
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Was only staying there for a night, beds were comfy n view was stunning. I would say its at par to Mandarin oriental's service and location. Would love to go back there for a longer stay soon. Service was friendly and great too.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank SamanthaYY
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The hotel is newly built and lucky to stay in a year time. The idea of combining office (lower floor) and hotel ( higher floor) allow hotel floor built at very high floor and can the perfect view closed to the twin tower. Reception and bar located at top floor also surprise all visitors. Nice view.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business