“Great new hotel with rooms for improvement”

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #3 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here over the weekend. We wanted to try out the newly opened Grand Hyatt KL so we decided to book two nights of stay.
Lobby was on the 38th floor with a great view of KL's skyline. Check-in was hassle free and staffs were accommodative. Having said that, we didn't really feel the warmth and hospitality from our interaction with the staffs. So, this could have been better.
Our room was awesome! Huge huge space with a walk-in closet :). It was missing the soul and lacking of character in my opinion but we still loved the room ( pics attached).
We dined at JP Teres Restaurant. Lived up to our expectations . High quality, world class Malay cuisine served there. We had Udang masak Nenas ( Prawns with pineapple sauce) which was so delicious!.
Tried out the swimming pool and it was cold! As in really cold!! A bit of temperature adjustment could've been better..
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and not to forget location was great too. Would we come back again to stay? Not too sure ..perhaps on business trip?

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Siera1408
Write a ReviewReviews (2,937)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

was quite hesitant when I ready comments prior to staying here but the other half insisted we give it a go. from the get go, it was friendly services, smiles and extremely polite services. everyone was extremely helpful and checking in took 2minutes... IMPRESSIVE!!! and the view.....

room was clean and spacious. bed was firm and the water pressure in the showers, WOW!! washed all the jet lag away. service at thirty8 was tad slow but as every new hotel and new staff, understandable. room service, menu was dated and honestly, boring. not very appealing unfortunately.

overall, it scores a 8.5 out of 10 for the room and services and 6 out of 10 for F&B.

worth the money for the view experience..

Room Tip: the club floor view... WOW
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Had a memorable Christmas holiday in a spanking new, fantastic and iconic hotel. Had to take the lift up to level 38 for check-in. The splendid view of the Petronas Twin towers was breathtaking. Was given a spacious room on level 28 with a great view of the city. Would have been better if the exterior windows had been cleaner and clearer. Kid loves the big tv in the room. Very thoughtful to include a hair band in the amenity box! Hotel staff were friendly and showed genuine malaysian hospitality. Grand club staff gave handy and useful info on Christmas happenings around town and best places to visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ronloh88
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was checked into the hotel during Christmas period with my family. The hotel was awesome , the friendly staff guided us from the moment we alighted from the taxi to the check in. The receptionist was friendly and within minutes we are done and going to our room.

We have been checked in into a nice view rooms and the luggages were arrived within 3 mins. The staff showing us how to operate the switches in the room without us asking him to do so. A plus point for his extra step. The rooms were perfect.

As we have booked the Club room, we checked out the Club Lounge around 3pm plus. The staff greeted us and immediately offered for our drinks . Nice place with Twin Towers view, awesome view, another plus point that I will definitely will stay in the hotel again, of course with Club access.

The location of the hotel is perfect with the aircon link to few big shopping malls.

We will definitely will stay in this awesome Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur for our trip to Kuala Lumpur again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DLJLD
Reviewed January 3, 2013

One Word - Terrible!

Bad impression from the word go.
There was a queue on the lift to the lobby, i was carrying 3 bags with my wife.
No one offered to help.
And all your staffs, doorman was just standing and blocking the lifts.
I had to ask twice on which lift i can enter, and to excuse myself, with all bags on me.
Why are they just standing there, and blocking the lifts?

And now am checking in at the top lobby.
The worst is coming, but let me relate the background story first.
I actually made my booking online, 3 weeks in advance, for a Club King room. With very specific request for a KLCC View - so i can see the fireworks, a present for my wife as she loves fireworks.
After i made the booking, i called the reservation department - again to confirm on my specific request for the KLCC View.
All was well, so i thought.

1 week prior to the new year event, i called on my birthday, 25th december. Again to check with the reservation department, whether my booking is good - and again for a view on the KLCC View for fireworks. A yes, said the person on the line.

Excellent, so i thought! :)

On the 31st of December, i called at 1pm, just to inform that i will be checking in a bit later, as my dear wife is working on the day. And again to check on my booking, and most importantly the view.
Here's the clanger - i was told " the view is on availability "

I tried to calm myself, maybe the reservation is supposed to answer it that way, some KPI or some sort. I did reiterate that i had confirmed twice and i booked 3 weeks in advance. Ok said the person on the line, we will try.

Ok to continue on things at the Grand Hyatt lobby, when i checked in, i did checked with the person on the room with the view - and was told, sorry, not available.

You mean booking 3 weeks in advance is not good enough?? However i tried to keep my cool again, as i know there's not much i can do, and why would i lose my temper to the front end person? If its the hotels/ system / top management fault?

Also at a great time ( new years eve ) why should i spoil it with my temper? I did ask again for the room, politely saying that i made the booking very much in advance, and there was a very specific request by me - and yes had it confirmed.

" Its on availability" replied the front end lady.

Meaning its not available now? i said.

Yes, not available she said. However we can upgrade you to a bigger room, but still without the KLCC view

That is not what i wanted. I said.
Again, i want a room with a view of the KLCC towers.

Am so sorry sir, its not available. ( i did read on trip advisor on grand hyatt prior to booking - a few entries said that the hotel is only good for apologising. Tried not to believe it before, but i guess its true )

So again not wanting to raise up a ruckus, i just said OK. But that is not what i wanted, i am already paying RM 1500 for the room - i could easily upgrade myself to a bigger room, its not about the room and the price.

So there it is, a very messed up new year. Thanks Grand Hyatt KL. Am never ever ever setting my foot in this hotel again, and i will do my best to warn others near me, or at least tell them my story.

For your information, i am a member of Starwood Priviledge Club, Hilton Premium Club Asia, and Shangrila - i often dine and stay in their rooms, at least every 2 weeks. Was just excited on Grand Hyatt, however made a bad gamble for my new year 2013, its something i could never get back, and am very sorry for my wife too.

Also, i wish to include that i celebrated new year 2010 in Mandarin Oriental KL Club Floor, made booking 3 days in advance - no problem getting the view i wanted.
2011 in Hilton KL - Lifestyle Suite - 1 week in advance, view i wanted. 2012 Shangrila Club Floor - View i wanted. Both mandarin and shangrila was cheaper than grand hyatt.

Also there were issues with the club lounge and buffet breakfast, my Tea disappeared after ordering, it never reached me and my wife, in spite of asking for it twice.
And in the breakfast buffet, they place the butter for breads, condiments for pancakes and waffles in the kitchen. Firstly, its hidden, you don't even know its there. And you have to actually ask the person in the kitchen to hand it to you. Are the condiments so expensive that its a controlled item(s) ? Who eats bread without butter? and bare pancakes and waffles? And the kitchen staffs are not that attentive, i stood there for a good minute or two waiting.

Other issues as well which i don't feel like i have to include it anymore. Buck up Grand Hyatt, as our saying in Malay Language goes - Grand Hyatt Syok Sendiri.

STAY AWAY PEOPLE.

Just left the hotel with a very sour after taste in my mouth and heart, after spending that much money you are supposed to be rejuvenated - but left in anger and bitterness.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel in the area.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank ApisControl
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Paid almost HK$5,830 (equiv USD$750) for a 2-night stay at the Grand Club floor. I had high expectations for the steeper than usual price paid. Given Hyatt as a major global brand but KL as one of the cheapest place to stay in the world, i have constantly reminded myself not to compare to other hotels i have had experienced around the Asia Pacific region.

Checking in was at 39th floor. Lobby was very stuffy and humid. No sofas were provided for customers. Big no no for a luxury hotel of this kind. It was New Year's Eve and the lobby was packed to the brim. Queues were long and plenty sour faces everywhere. First glance of poor service starts.

However, everything turned sweet when i was attended by Miss Jeane Tan. She was swift with the check in, friendly and very approachable. She later attended my check out too. Flawless service.

Ushered to the club floor down the lobby (weird!) and the room was minimalist, cozy and very spacious. Bathroom was nice. Shower pressure was good. However, was a bit surprised there is a menu on the drinks and snacks stacked underneath the drawer. I had expected the tidbits to be complimentary as most club rooms in other hotels do in other Asia Pac region.

I had few guests over the night and we ordered ice from the room service. No sign of the ice after half an hour. Called again, reminded them we needed 2 buckets. No one came. Left the hotel for dinner outside and reminded them again at the concierge and lobby. Promised to send to the room. No sign of it again.

Felling frustrated, rang the customer service and reception countless time only to be passed by one person to another and kept on hold without anyone answering my calls. Very upset and scolded the front desk and room service staffs. Such a simple task of bringing in buckets of ice took more than 4 hours. I expect prompt service for the price i paid. Was given excuses of lack of staffs, person-in-charge on leave blablabla..
Finally, was given to speak to this horrible person by the name of BERNARD. He didn't greet me when he picked up the phone but he started yelling and told me to stop shouting at him. He insisted he will be rude to guests if the guests are rude to him. He asked me not to raise my voice at him but he started raising his voice and even threaten me on the phone. I was boiling at that moment and demanded an apology. He refused to apologize. Told him i will report the matter to Tripadvisor and was shocked that he happily gave me the go ahead sign. He even gave me an ultimatum for speaking to him with my index finger! I will not tolerate such arrogance behavior and mannerism, moreover from a guest who booked the Grand Club room. I may not be a super VVIP or other celebs, but threatening your guests is suicidal. In this hospitality industry, even by raising one's voice tone to the guests will lead one to trouble.

Next morning after breakfast, insisted in meeting the General Manager to lodge a formal complain on the so-called Night duty "manager" Bernard. Met up with Mr Hanson Leong and had a good chat. Next up was the Head of Guest Room. Both were pleasant and very apologetic. Mr Bernard ought to be sacked! If there is no disciplinary action taken against him, i promise will take the case to the next level.

He has single handedly ruined the reputation of Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur. I will not hesistate to email this exact review to the General Manager of Hyatt Asia Pacific for a formal apology. Didn't know splurging so much on the NYE's celebration will turned out such a disaster. Avoid this hotel at all cost!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Raymond H
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in one of their Deluxe rooms on New Year's Eve. Nice enough rooms. Standard Hyatt decor world wide. But there is something seriously wrong with their bathrooms. When you take a shower, water floss the outside area. Brand new 5 -star hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012