“Grand Hyatt KL”

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #3 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Currently residing here at the new Grand Hyatt KL. I am not one for fuss and found the staff and in particular the checkin and concierge to be exceptional. I am still having a little trouble with all these light switches but I will get used to it.

The room is minimal and spacious, the view is rather ordinary of the park below, but I am not here to lay in bed all day. The hotel is still very new and this is clearly evident in some of the room features, but it's a great place to stay and the rates are very good at the moment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Longreach747

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay on business at this superb new hotel in Kuala Lumpur. I found the product and the service outstanding. The room which had magnificent views of the Petronas Towers is luxuriously fitted out and functional. I had excellent meals both at the main restaurant on the 38th floor and also the Malaysian restaurant on the ground floor.I used the Club for breakfast and afternoon drinks. I got quite easily used to go to the top for the reception to take the elevator down to the floor where my room was located. I was indeed impressed by the sensor system in the room that allows the lights to come on automatically; it switches off if it does not sense movement in the room....which can be disturbing if somebody is sitting working at the desk at night! ( I was advised by the management that I could have had the sensor system switched off and use the normal switches but decided to leave the sensor system on). From the moment I arrived to the moment I left the staff were accommodating and smiling- addressing me by my name throughout my stay. A great new addition to an upcoming Asian metropolis!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Petronas Towers!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Caris25
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Kuala Lumpur boasts a number of luxurious hotels including Mandarin Oriental, Westin, Shangri-La, Ritz Carlton, and Marriott near KLCC (where the Petronas Twin Towers are located) and the Golden Triangle area (Bukit Bintang & Pavilion Shopping Mall). Grand Hyatt is the latest addition, situating right in front of the Kuala Lumpur Convention Center, and it is about 200 meters from the Mandarin Oriental (MO) and connected the KLCC Suria shopping mall by underground.

My family usually stays at the MO for convenience since it is right next to the KLCC Suria mall prior to the opening of the Grand Hyatt. Since I am a Gold Passport member and it is brand new hotel, my family decided to stay there for two nights. Besides, we have always felt that it was the time for the MO needs to refurbish its rooms. Don't get me wrong, the MO is one of the finest hotels in KL, but we just needed to check the new Grand Hyatt out.

There were ample parking spaces in basement. The lobby is situated on the 39th floor as it is now a trend for Grand Hyatt to have its front desk on upper floors (it kind of reminded me of Grand Hyatt Shanghai/Pudong), but there are bell captains and staff greet you at the ground floor once you arrive at the hotel. Once you get to the 39th floor, you would be mesmerized by view of KL through tall floor-to-ceiling windows.

To get to guest rooms, there are separate elevators (different ones from the ground to the lobby) for security control. We stayed a deluxe room, but it still had an amazing view of the city and very modern. The shower and tub are right behind bed and also offer rain shower as well. The room is equipped with a 42" LCD TV, comfortable round sofa, with detachable foot rest, and other usual amenities. My wife and I always travel with our 4-year old daughter and a king-size bed is sufficient for all of us. One thing we realized was the bed was incredibly comfortable. In fact, I thought it was much better than Westin's Heavenly Bed.

Room service menu includes both local and western cuisines and portions were adequate. Breakfast buffet was at its Thirty8 cafe, located on the 38th floor. Breakfast spread could have been better by serving French toasts, waffles and more of local dishes. Since it is a new hotel, I figured the Grand Hyatt KL would improve its service progressively.

If you are visiting KL for conventions/trade shows or even concerts (regularly held at the Convention Center), then this is the place stay. If you are traveling with children, then treat them to KLCC Aquaria, which is located at the basement of the convention center. If you need some caffeines to wake up, then there is a Starbucks at the basement as well. Getting to the KLCC Suria shopping mall takes about 15 minutes by underground tunnel.

The only complaint that I had was, as usual, of its RM 68 (about USD 22) for 24-hour WiFi connection.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PapayaTree
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Not too much to complain about a Grand Hyatt I guess. However, this hotel was pretty new when I stayed here and it seems there are still a few things not running according to plan.

What is very weird is that you have to go all the way to the top floor to check in and then down again to your room. If you want to get out of the hotel, you first have to go up to the lobby and from there down to the street level. While some people think this is quite unique, I actually found it quite annoying.

The rooms are very nice and have a great view thanks to floor-to-ceiling windows. Beds are comfortable and the room design is quite interesting with the bathroom in the center of the room. Amenities include WiFi-internet (chargeable), minibar, dryer, bathrobes, shower and bathtub, etc. Although my room rate was more than 220 USD breakfast was not included (a bit disappointing).

When I woke up the next morning I noticed that most of the lights in the room and as well as the TV wasn’t working. When I called they told me that they have problems with the electricity and that they would call me once the issue is resolved. Too bad I had to check out and couldn’t wait for that to happen. And so I had to shower in the dark.

Couldn’t check out the pool and gym, but it looked very nice.

When I checked out with my colleague I noticed that he was being asked if he wants to become a Hyatt club member. And despite me checking out at the same time and right next to him, I wasn’t being asked as well (ok, I really don’t need another hotel membership, but it I thought it was strange that they ask only certain people).

When we finally took the elevator down to the first floor suddenly everything went dark and the elevator got stuck. Luckily it came back on again right away, but instead of going down it was now going up again. That was scary. After changing the elevator we finally made it down alive.

While I understand that everything is still new and processes need to be fine-tuned, I left the GH KL slightly disappointed. After all, their prices are already up to GH standards and you simply expect a certain service for your money.

Well, maybe next time. I think they deserve a second chance. After all they have a great lobby bar with a fantastic view over KLCC.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank ThePassenger26
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights the first week that they opened. The staff was warm and friendly, all the way from the airport pickup when we arrived all the way through to the check-out. My room had a stunning view of the Twin Towers in floor-to-ceiling windows, and the black-out drapes were perfect on the one morning I could sleep in for a bit. The food offering in the club lounge was excellent at breakfast, and the staff remembered each time I was there what was my preferred beverage. I also enjoyed having drinks at the outdoor restaurant on the ground level. Even though it was street-side, it felt like a little tropical oasis.

The hotel location also couldn't be better, next to two great shopping/dining complexes. I will definitely come back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank WorldCafeTraveler
Reviewed October 7, 2012

very clean hotel in a very good location. Great service from staff, nice size rooms, great breakfast options and amazing views from room of the twin towers in all of their glory...and thats it.

Ground floor is totally empty apart from a front desk manned with around 10-14 people including door men and feels very cold due to its vast emptiness and not very appealing/welcoming despite everyone person greeting you as you enter, not quite sure what the desk is for as the lobby is on the 39th floor, roughly the same height as the Petrona towers walk-way bridge.

Not very populated and at first it feels like VIP treatment as you may be the only guest seen walking around and having at least 5-6 staff to take care of your needs, after a few days this wears off and you actually start feeling the need to see other guests/non employees to make this look like/feel a hotel.

Yes, like the other reviewers its annoying not to get to your floor straight from the ground and having to change lifts puts you off from going in and out of the hotel.

Smoking only possible in the rooms.There's a dress code that apparantly requires you to be smart/casual. As i was the only guest around and there on business, i didnt see anyone wearing shorts and slippers nor was i brave enough to be the first!!

A bit pricey for what you're getting, im told the reason they dont have a bar/club (loud music) or spa facilities (with extras, like most of the KL hotels!!) is due to the fact the owner is the Sultan of Brunei who occupies the top floors when he's in town.

Great spot for Muslim travellers who can afford this but you're really not getting much for your money i think, although you could hear the Azaan (call for prayer) from the KLCC Mosque which when looking from the hotel towards the twin towers, is situated on the right, behind the lake identifiable by the grey dome. One thing i didnt find on any of the forums is that there is a sky-bridge/walk way directly accross the the street and has been designed for people to navigate their way KLCC through to Bukit Bintang. Its purpose? An air-conditioned walkway to escape the heat and humidity similar to what they have in Minneapolis (USA) to escape the cold. If in Bukit Bintang, head to Low-Yat Plaza for IT/Telecoms equipment, the higher up you go in the mall the cheaper things become.

Also, there's currently a free tourist bus which shuttles passengers around the city, didnt get a chance to hop on though.

Great City, with amazing hospitality everywhere you go but you could spend your money elsewhere at a lower price and still have a great time.
Taxi from hotel to Cyberjaya is about 70-80 Ringget and against the traffic in the morning.
10-15 min walk to KLCC LRT train station.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the twin towers are good
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Sid_Kadri
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

It is still very under occupied so can feel a bit like a ghost town..especially the ground floor..you have to go all the way up to the top floor to check in, only to then get a lift back down to your room.

Not many options for food outlets, only 2 that I could find...,but truly fantastic location with an unhindered view of the Petronas Towers

• Stayed: October 2012