“Very good except for two things”

Sunbow Hotel Residency
Ranked #33 of 344 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is located right at the heart of Bukit Bintang, with plenty of dining options at all prices, and a short walk from Imbi Monorail station. Service is extremely friendly. The hotel occupies the entire 10th floor of a decrepit building, but that floor has been entirely modernized. My room was exceptionally spacious and comfortable, with excellent bedding and air-conditioning, absolutely no street noise, and in-room wifi was fast. Overall, this is an excellent choice in KL, except for two things. One is the very slow elevators, which serve all 20 floors, so at busy times, the wait can be very long! Also, all types share the building so you might find yourself sharing the elevator with some fairly shady characters. But more importantly, the stairs are next to the elevators (not the safest place to put them), and the only emergency exit I could locate was locked! This is a great shame because the place is otherwise a great find in KL.

Room Tip: Check the emergency exits and hope all three elevators have been modernized!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Sunbow Hotel Residency

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located on 10th floor of Sun Complex. You may feel weird for first sight but when you see the room, you will forget. Room is clean, not too big but nice decoration without balcony but can see the city view through windows. Bathroom is very nice and water pressure is high. Hotel is only 5-10 mins walk to China Town Food Market, Sungei Wang Plaza, Lot10 and Bukit Bintang Monorail Station. We didn't have any problem about elevator cos maybe we were there during weekdays. Overall, the hotel is more than we expected and good price.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Dizzyanne
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had booked this hotel for our return trip to KL we are here for ten days then we go to Cambodia and then come back for five days . But after a few days in the hotel we where in and not enjoying at all we thought we would go and have a look at Sunbow so that if we did not like we could change. Well after searching for a while we found it and what a surprise it is bright clean and so so nice. We decided to check out of the hotel we where in and check in here. It is close to everything right behind the Royal Bingtang . Certainly a good choice for us. Clean and budget but close to to shopping.

Room Tip: Delux rooms have a window. There is only one floor . It is in a complex and on the tenth floor so ni...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mudwash
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was a good little find this.

Got it on agoda.com for £21 a night, spacious room, good shower and hotel quiet.

The issues with the lifts are well documented in other reviews of this place, however i really didn't find it an issue at all. Just walked down to the 9th floor via the staircase next to the recption and then never had to wait more than 15-20 seconds for a lift.

there is 2 reasons why this didn't get 5 stars form me, 1 is that it's not an 'excellent' property, it's just very good for the money you pay. and 2, is that reception staff are just absolutely awful. we were fortunate enough not to have any dealings with them at all, apart from picking up/dropping in the key - don't even think about asking them for help/advise on anything, they'll just look at you as if they found you on the bottom of their shoe. i really don't know why they're like that, but honestly, just ignore it...save in the knowledge you got a great bargain here.

Room Tip: make sure you walk down to the 9th floor to get the lift, don't bother with the one on the 10th!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights and very happy with it!

The hotel is located on the 10th floor of the building. Which is abit of a hassle. Because there are 3 lifts and 1 of it always under maintenance. So during high traffic, you need to wait quite awhile.

From the outside, the hotel looks dodgy and old. But once you reach the lobby, it looks new n comfortable.

Check in was smooth. Our room is clean and spacious. The bed is super comfortable. The best i've slept amongst the other budget hotels i've slept so far.

Its in a pretty good location. Shopping, night clubbing scene and hawker food are within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hotel didn´t look really good/clean outside, Just few minutes walk from the monorail station Imbi , Jalan Bukit Bintang and shopping Malls.

When we arrived, our first impression of the outside building was not favorable, the hotel being situated on the 10th floor, we discovered a place completely renovated and chic. The room was clean, chic and modern with WIFI, Air conditioned, TV set, hair dryer... The staff was very helpful apart from a chinese look receptionist with a punk style, who was rude(I guess im talking about the same person as "JWarmington" and "Valkokaren"down here). Advice, ask for Terrence, he has a good customer service and know exactly how to help you, he is polite and a simple guy. You will also get to know a maintenance guy at the reception(usually there at evening) who is very helpful. Unfortunately the lift is a big problem which urgently need to be seen. We always needed to queue to get the lift to the 10th floor. Consequently we had to take a lift which only stops at the 9th floor and walked thte stairs till the 10th.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2013

One of the staff members (I guess im talking about the same person as "JWarmington" down here) destroyed my whole stay in this hotel. He was so strange and short and unfriendly in speak everytime I asked something. I asked if they had a ac-adapter or if I had to go and buy it. Answer was like "We have but you must leave it back". One day I came to the desk with my usb and asked if he could print one page for my flight home. But he did not want to use my usb and told me to go and mail it instead. After mailing it i was forced to pay 1 ringgit for an black and white papercopy. Not a problem but I was so suprised. :)

But he took the prize when he couldnt help me to book a taxi for the morning I was leaving. My plan was to go to the Sentral Station to take a buss to the airport, a 15 min ride from my hotel. But he could only help me if I booked a taxi _all_ the way to the airport. I asked why and he told me that he just had the number for this service. I asked if he couldnt call another taxicompany for me. "Dont have number" was the short answer. So I told him that I have to go out 04.00 i the morning and find a taxi on my own. "Good luck" was his answer.

No problem with other staff members - they were friendly and nice. But this man is not the right person for working in a hotel!

The location of the hotel var pretty good even if the outside of the building was awful. The room was small and clean but okay for the price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo