“BEST HOSTEL!!! MUST EXPERIENCE!”
Review of Agosto Inn

Agosto Inn
Ranked #20 of 344 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just came back from Agosto Inn last week and I must say, I've been travelling for the last three years and this is definitely one of the BEST hostels that I've stayed in. I did 3 nights and 4 days. They were amazing and so homey. They weren't so busy so they changed my room to a double bed and I ended by myself which was pretty sweet for the same price that I booked for a dorm room. I checked out other rooms as well from other travellers and although they're a bit small, they're still nice and clean. The bathrooms a tiny, and I'm a petite person but all in all, the showers worked fine, and it was clean every time I went!

Joyce was really helpful, they have maps and tours available. The common area was superb because it was really colourful and comfortable. Breakfast was simple (no milk, get your own...but that's no problem!) with toast and fruit. It was really nice and quiet although sometimes you do hear people walking in the halls. The little disturbances weren't a huge factor at all because you'd have to be really picky to pinpoint them!

If you're going to Malaysia and want the BEST hostel, with GREAT location (literally like 30 seconds from the train) and SO easy to and from the airport using the train, in the heart of Chinatown but not dead in it so it's away from the chaos, then stay here. It's also right across from a cute cafe/warehouse that you can go and chill/drink at. Tons of foreigners, very chic. When searching for good, comfortable, cheap, and location hostels, believe me...I spend hours and days searching! Trust me when I say that Agosto Inn won't disappoint. It's a home away from home, very friendly, helpful, clean, and perfect location.

Can't say enough about this place!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE THERE! I had a BLAST!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mirage A H
There are newer reviews for Agosto Inn

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stumbled upon Agosto after a nearby guesthouse was full. Joyce saw me wandering through the streets and hollered, asking if I needed a room. While I am prone to be reluctant to go to places who solicit guests, I decided it was worth a shot to check out. That openness provided me with an unexpected gift. Agosto ended up being one of my favorite places I stayed during a three month trip throughout SE Asia. While many places attempt to give a "home away from home" feel, it is something difficult to create, as it takes much more than kind hospitality and a clean, comfortable place to stay. It takes genuine concern and care for you as a person, coupled with these other facets. Agosto truly was one of those rare places. I stayed for 4 days in November and when a typhoon caused me to evacuate an island on the Philippines, I returned to KL and Agosto for 4 more nights. A big reason for that was the goodness and warmth provided at Agosto; so while I had the hassle of being displaced and a lot of unexpected travel, I knew I was going back to a wonderful place (and great city, by the way).

The nitty gritty honest details:

-The dorm beds are always clean and sufficiently comfortable (some can be squeaky, but so it goes with bunk beds..it never caused me to lose any sleep though).
-The shared bathrooms, though small (as to be expected) have hot water with great water pressure.
-A cozy common area upstairs to lounge, read, or watch movies.
-A small breakfast area where a simple meal is available each morning. Toast, jam/jelly, oatmeal, cereal, juice, coffee, tea, and sometimes fresh fruit. (For fellow coffee drinkers, it is instant coffee. No worries though, as there are several cafes available within walking distance if you crave the strong/good stuff like me.)
-Very clean all around, as Julie, the housekeeper is tidy and attentive (not to mention very pleasant and kind).
-Laundry done in house (more expensive than elsewhere in SE Asia, but it is convenient and well done)
-Good wifi connection throughout (although the signal strength is a little weaker in the rooms)
-Excellent location (heart of Chinatown) with the Pasar Seni transit station just around the block, providing ridiculously easy access to all of KL
-Great value (Just under $9 US a night for a bed is a great deal in KL for what you are getting)

Lastly, and to reiterate...the people, the people, the people. All of staff are simply wonderful and quite helpful. Some of my favorite nights in KL were nights in chatting with Ann and other travelers, or sitting outside on the sidewalk having drinks with one another. Fellow travelers that I met here also tended to be more diverse than elsewhere (maybe this is partly just because it is KL, which is more diverse, but I also think the Inn attracts a wider range of people). In my two combined visits, I met travelers from Argentina, Poland, Pakistan, Indonesia, the Philippines, Germany, France, Holland, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, and the US. If/when I return to KL, I will definitely be returning to Agosto.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank jamesonyingling
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were originally only going to stay here two nights but extended it to five. It's a great place, with a genuinely warm and friendly staff. The place is extremely clean and comfortable. There's a small kitchenette on the first floor, a small library of travel and other books to enjoy, and a nice, well decorated lounge area on the second floor with a tv and small DVD library. The rooms are bright, even though most don't have windows.

The location is fantastic, it's only steps away from the pasar seni and Kuala Lumpur train stations which include access to the free purple bus that brings you to most tourist stations. There's also an excellent bakery just up the street, and you're only a block away from Petaling street.

We just came from Nepal and Agosto Inn was a great place to relax for a few days and enjoyed KL at a leisurely place. All the staff were happy and cheerful and proud of their hotel, which, as of this writing, only opened a few months earlier. It's a great addition to KL, and we are looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a window room, but as an FYI, even though it has natural light, you also get a lot more stre...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mhamrah
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start by saying that Ann is really awesome and welcoming and helpful with directions and ideas for things to do and her staff is very nice, as well. I stayed here for four nights in the dorm. She makes an effort to try and make them single-sex, unless people are traveling together, which in the end is a good thing because the dorms are quite small. There is not a lot of space around for everyone's stuff and it lacks some things that would make it more convenient like hooks or shelves. Also, the bunk beds are pretty rickety. It shook and squeaked whenever I climbed onto the top bunk, inevitably waking the person underneath me and then any time you move or roll over the whole thing kinda shakes, which also probably woke her up! My last night I was getting up early to catch a plane so I just crashed in the common room and I was frankly more comfortable there than in the bunk bed!

They do laundry for 6 RM a kilogram, but they don't have a dryer so expect it to take awhile. Also, there appeared to be soap stains or something on a lot of my stuff when I got it back, which I am sure will come out the next time I wash them and I was really only washing them for the smell rather than the appearance so in the end I still got what I wanted, right??

A word about the bathrooms: to turn on the hot water in the hot water showers, you must flip a switch outside the stall first!! This I did not know and suffered 2 days of cold showers before I figured this out. Don't let this happen to you!! :) Also, the bathroom has 4 stalls, each with a toilet and a shower. It's a bit small for showering with the toilet taking up at least half the space so that was a bit inconvenient and the stalls could also benefit from some more hooks/shelves. There is nowhere to put your shower stuff (soap and whatnot) but on the back of the toilet which I imagine leads to many lost items into the abyss. Also, the floors are perpetually wet so it is really difficult to change in there (which you often want to do when you are staying in a dorm). But there was always toilet paper and soap at the sinks (a hand towel for drying hands by the sink would also be nice!).

For a budget place it's not terrible, and the location is really good - right by Pasar Deni train station and the GoKL (free bus) stop. Central Market and the Chinatown market are right around the corner. There's a 7-11 across the street.

One last word about the people who work here: One night I came back disappointed from the crappy Reggae Bar down the street and Ann set up a table outside the front door for me, herself and another guest where we sat and smoked and drank 7-11 beers until 3:30am and it was probably the best night I had in KL.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the bathroom have better A/C, dorms are a bit small and uncomfortable
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I just spent a week at Agosto and Caroline has a proper assessment and I would add that Ann runs a tight ship focused on security and safety for guests and their belongings.
That,along with cleanliness are the two main standouts.
A limited breakfast with tea and coffee,cold and hot water all day and all night are available.
Very clean kept bathrooms with hot water shower and clothes washing facilities for a fee is available.
Excellent wifi with Ann fully understanding the importance it offers guests.
Agosto has a computer that is available for those without one and a common area that is comfortable with a large flat screen for DVD lovers and news junkies.
The rooms do not have windows -except for the two facing the street,so you rely on air con which is excellent,new,clean and cold.
One feature I did not like was no fan in the rooms for those of us that do not care for air-con..
If you do not use the air -con it also makes sleeping difficult with a common room so close to the sleeping quarters and no door to buffer the 3 a.m. banter for those just checking in
The mature staff Ann has employed in Joy and Julie enhanced the quality of the stay at Agosto.
They maintain cleanliness and a level of security and quality that is enviable,while being very accommodating,helpful and friendly to the guests.
Agosto has a great location and is good value for the money considering the high levels of security and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Only two rooms have windows that face a fairly busy street. Rooms on the street end are quieter and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Max B
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I came back to agosto whilst waiting on my visa for Australia. i have been here for three weeks this time, staying in the dorm room. Its incredibly clean, with amazing staff. it felt much more like a home than a B&B, i was treated like i was part of the agosto family. I would definitely recommend staying here-its very central all attractions & shopping centers are easily to get to. definitely the best place i have stayed in the year i traveled Asia.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank nick-caroline
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had a fantastic week-long stay at Agosto Inn. The rooms though small, are very clean and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. It's also in a fantastic location just 2 minutes from Pasar Seni LRT station and 2 minutes to the Chinatown walking street. A great budget lodging option in KL!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo