“Smelly hotel in the city center”

Hotel Grand Continental Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #135 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Smelly hotel in the city center”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed in this hotel during a short business trip to Malaysia. The hotel was not up to the standard I expected from the hotel of this range. I stayed in the 13th floor which smelled cigarette as soon as elevator door is open. I guesses if the floor was smoking floor, however, I soon saw no smoking sign. On entering the room, the room smelled differently but still smelling of smoke.

I remember for having asked for a multi-pluck as I had to charge my mobile. On calling to house keeping, I was told that socket will be available on deposit, which I agreed. However, the attendant who was supposed to come, never turned up. I gave up following up as I could charge the mobile in the bathroom later.

The room amenities were average. Great view of twin-tower could be witnessed from the room which I asked and provided for. The twin-tower looked majestic at night with the lights.

The hotel is not far from the train station (Monorail Medan Tuanku station or even Chow Kit station should be nearer too)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ckanchan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I had booked the Hotel through an agent who said that it was the best amongst the Hotels that was given to me as options. I regret the fact that I went by my agent's word and not the feedback given in trip advisor. We were 7 office colleagues travelling together. We reached the hotel at 3 am and were actually tired after travelling for long. The person at the reception took more than half an hour to check us in. There was no one to take our baggage to the rooms. The only AC working properly in the hotel was the one at the lobby. AC in the rooms were not working at all (we had booked 4 rooms). You had to leave it on for 3-4 hours for it to half any sort of cooling. I had been told that we were given the better rooms in the hotel. I pity the people who would be staying in the not so "Superior Rooms". There was water dripping throughout the night from the taps in the bathroom. the bathroom in the hotel was worse than most 3rd grade hotels in India. Unlike most hotels these people actually charge you for using an universal adaptor. The only good thing was the morning breakfast buffet. What my ultimate experience is that the Hotel is neither "Grand" neither is there anything "continental" about it. Not recommended for anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debu1982

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Mumbai
Reviewed January 24, 2012

i would never recommend this place to any one.. will never check-in there again, the A/c cooling in this hotel is pathetic.. We were offered to changed the room as A/c didnt cool after checking-in, but to our utter dismay even after changing the rooms twice, the A/c cooling was the same... ultimately it seemed that the there standard of cooling is too low (though the reception staff falsely gave us excuse of A/c system of whole hotel is down). Then although this wasn't enough, the so called Hot Water in shower was not at all Hot enough. The rooms were terribly dated, decades old decor & though clean enough but in shabby conditions (all 3 rooms i checked in & not just 1). How is it rated 4 stars??? only thing good i find about this room was the Petronas + KL Tower Views & Free WIFI, thats it. Though low on rates but you can get much much better hotels around at this rates.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have 2 windows to add some value to your stay at this place
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed one night on the 29th Dec 2010 (One year earlier).

The hotel has a very good view of the Petronas towers and it was quite scenic at night.

The rooms were reasonable, clean and so were the bath rooms.

We were on the 23rd floor and the access was good.

Good value for money and within walking distance you can reach couple of malls.

The restaurant did not having any thing for our vegetarian fare.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I had to change from the Renaissance(as was booked out) and needed a few days in another hotel. Well I don't know who reccommended me this one but I wish I hadn't listened. The area is dodgy at night, the room smelt of strong mosquito repellent and the woman downstaris in the bar was the most unfriendly woman I've met in Asia. As a guest I wanted some Ice sent to my room and she said that she can't afford to give me any as they need it for themselves!!! What kind of attitude is that? The breakfast was also substandard. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank VRaders
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Worst hotel to stay in. Worst service and Rude Reception Staff. Unhygienic (Bed Sheets, Towels, hot water kettle not cleaned from months), Found bed bugs in bed (this is real m not kidding). Please do not stay in this room.

Room Tip: Please do not stay in this hotel...... this is the best tip......
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RohanPatil
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Steer clear of this one. Unlike other reviews the staff was friendly enough but the hotel itself is terrible, very very dated. Really in need of a total overall. Charming aspects include chipped linoleum, dirty bathrooms, stained blankets and overall shabby decor that hasn't been updated since at least 1972. Breakfast appalling.
If I had expected all this fine but when I booked the room the picture was far different! And four stars? Yeah right.

• Stayed January 2012