“Decent hotel, spacious rooms”

Pacific Regency Hotel Suites
Ranked #72 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Decent hotel, spacious rooms”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Great location, just 10-15mins walk from KL city centre. Taxis are always available at the front of the hotel. Rooms are extremely spacious and the bathroom is huge. We stayed here for 5 nights. Originally booked a deluxe suite, but on arriving there were upgraded to a 1 bed suite. Ask for a higher floor to get better views preferably the side facing petronas. They only provide 1 key card, and the lift operates with key card only. So if u are a family, and may need to go out separately, ask for a blank card at the reception to operate the lift only. Couldn't get to try out luna bar, as we were with kids, but we did try the restaurant on the 23rd floor, Soi 23. The food was surprisngly good, i must say. Our 1 bed suite had a kitchenette and they provide all utensils on request. The nearest supermarket is in the 'Dominos Pizza' building down the road. KL tower is just a stone's throw away & there is a free shuttle bus to take you up to the tower entrance from the road.
Our room had a tub which did not drain properly, on repeated requests, it was repaired on day 5. The room decor is a little dated and in need of renovation. The space compensates for it to some extent, as the kids can run around freely.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank WeekendTraveller275

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Thailand
Reviewed January 21, 2012

On the last few days of my recent trip to Penang I stayed over in KL for four nights before returning to the UK and rather than returning to the very good Melia Hotel I decided to try somewhere different. So, I booked Pacific Regency Hotel Suites, in Jalan Punchak near Jalan P Ramlee for around RM 260 per night, initially for 2 nights, through Agoda (see travel links).

On arrival in KL I had the misfortune to get a taxi driver who didn't know where the hotel was and KL was even heavier in traffic than normal due to a movie or something being shot near Jalan P Ramlee. Luckily I had purchased a voucher for the journey from KL Sentral otherwise the meter would have soared as we went round and round trying to find the hotel. The driver was also less than skilled at reading maps as I tried to point out the hotel on Google Maps saying, "we should turn here", "where?", "here", "where?", "back there", "but where", "too late now", you get the picture. In fact, had it not been pouring with rain I'd have got out and walked. Oddly, despite being monsoon season I found I got by without an umbrella in Penang. In KL though, come 4 or 5pm it did rain most days for between 1-3 hours and some days it rained really hard!!! Umbrella definitely needed for KL in monsoon season IMHO!!

Once we did arrive I checked in and both the entrance to the hotel and the reception areas are attractively styled and the staff were very helpful and courteous, if somewhat amazed about my ill-feted taxi trip that too 1.5 hours (in normal traffic, supposing a direct route, it would take more like 20 minutes). I was given a room on the 29th floor and had been upgraded to a Superior Room. So, what was it like?

Well, I have too say I wasn't THAT impressed. The room itself was very spacious but the decor it has to be said was somewhat lacklustre and all a bit dull. The room had a distinctive musty smell to it indicating it was perhaps less than regularly used with the air going slightly stagnant with the lack of air con. The furniture was also older in style, made of very dark wood which, alongside the beiges and browns of the decor made the room look somewhat flat. It was however VERY spacious, clean and tidy and the bathroom was enormous with a large walk-in shower and a bath. There was also ample storage. Being a serviced suite there was also a kitchenette with dining table and this area had the only window in the room. In fact it was the location of the window which did not help the light in the main bedroom as the kitchen area is much narrower than the bedroom and separated from it by a partial partition wall so the bedroom was never light really. The air -con was also quite noisy. Thankfully, after 3 years in the UAE and the 50 degree heat of their summers I found I rarely needed to use A/C while in Malaysia, probably a godsend in this case as I'm not sure I'd have been able to sleep with what sounded like a Harrier jump-jet with it's engine at idle just next to the bathroom!! Overall the room was OK to be honest but I can't say I really felt happy in it, it had a more utilitarian and functional feel to it than anything and failed to give me that relaxed and contented feeling that some hotel rooms are able to do.

Location wise the hotel wasn't brilliantly placed. It's walkable to the Bukit Bintang/Chankat area but did not feel as close as the Melia, it was also not so conveniently placed as the Grand Millenium, for the busier shopping areas around Jalan Bukit Bintang. That said you will likely pay RM 80-100 more for a room at the Millenium unless you were able to get a very good deal (but from stays in other Millenium hotels I suspect it would be worth it) but the Melia could be had for about RM 240 per night (at the time of writing). The location was OK but it just felt a bit out of it.

Facilities wise I didn't get to use much. I did eat at the restaurant in the Lunar Bar, a roof-top restaurant, disco and pool bar area which may well get popular at weekends (but maybe not so popular as the Sky Bar at Traders Hotel). The meal was somewhat unspectacular I have to say. I started with a wild mushroom soup which did seem to be lacking in one essential ingredient, wild mushrooms, and which was more rich and creamy than tasty, much too creamy for my taste. This was followed by a T-bone steak which was poorly cooked. I am a qualified chef so I have some idea of how steak should be cooked and my preference is always for a steak, regardless of how 'well' you want it done, be seared on a VERY hot grill or under a salamander such that it imparts a good flavour to the exterior and crisps any fat somewhat. The best that could be said for this steak was that it was cooked, just cooked, with a pale brown unappealing colour and an even more unappealing taste. Maybe other dishes at this restaurant are better, maybe at 11:00pm the grills had been turned off and were not so hot, but as a paying customer I do expect a degree of quality and if restaurants are unable to deliver to their normal standards, they should tell you.

I did have ocassion to use the Business Centre at the hotel to get some documents printed off and the staff were friendly and helpful. The prices were OK but if you were in town, as with any hotel, you could probably get printing and copying done for a tenth of the price at anyone of shops providing this kind of service. One thing that was very useful was that the hotel had a permanent executive (blue) taxi station right by the front door so getting a taxi at any hour was easy and the taxi company staff, and indeed the drivers, were very helpful and friendly. I'm sure I put on a kilo with all of the local take away delicacies they kept insisting I tried. A very helpful and pleasant bunch!! That said, I think most people are if you treat them with the respect, dignity and manners that you'd expect to be accorded to you rather than the, frankly, somewhat atrocious attitudes you see displayed by some people, but especially tourists and visitors some of whom have a vastly over-inflated view of their own self-importance!! As I have also said before the staff at the hotel were also very helpful. The only annoying factor, and this may be the same at some, but I know not all, hotels was that when I wanted to extend my stay by two nights for visa completion, they could not do the same rate at reception such that I had to book again through the internet. There were difficulties with Agoda that day so it was somewhat frustrating. Indeed I did even contemplate checking out and booking in at the Grand Millenium to give that a try but as I had a busy enough day the next day I couldn't be bothered to factor packing, check-out and check-in in to the itinerary as well. The staff clearly have their hands tied in this regard though and, other than that, service was faultless and all of the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Overall I wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't recommend the Pacific Regency Hotel Suites, it was an OK place to stay, just OK, depending on what you are looking for. If you need a kitchen it's maybe ideal but for me I would rather have the more attractively styles rooms of a normal hotel and would most likely opt for the locations of the Melia and Grand Millenium when visiting in future.

Room Tip: Try to choose an upgraded and refurbed room with plenty of natural light.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Ninja_Sanook
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Pacific Regency Hotel (PRH) gets this VG rating because of its location, great staff and value. Besides the location, the hotel itself is a bit dated.
PRH is near the Petronas Towers. It takes about a 10 minute leisure walk to get to Petronas/KLCC from PRH. There are a few restaurants near the hotel, including KFC and TGI Fridays. KLCC has a food court that serves different types of food such as Malaysian, Indian, Japanese, etc. There are also small "local" eateries if you use the rear exit of the KH Tower (the building occupied by PRH). Using this rear exit/entrance would cut a 15-20 minute walk to KLCC into a 10 minute walk. Also the rear entrance/exit is less steep than the front entrance/lobby. The KL tower is also walking distance from the hotel. Butik Bintang is a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel or one stop using the monorail. KLCC also has a light rail station. Taxis are plentiful but I agree with another reviewer and flag down a cab a couple blocks from the hotel (also the sticker on all the cabs that say "Fares will not be negotiated" is False, cab drivers will sometimes negotiate fares).
PRH is located in a nice and relatively safe are in Kuala Lumpur (KL). We often walked at night around the city and near the hotel and found it relatively safe. However, as to any major city one has to be careful and aware of his/her surroundings.
The room/suite itself is a bit dated. There is a refrigerator, a sink, some kitchen utensils and a table with two chairs. The suite also has a panel TV and a DVD player. Our room had only a shower enclosure. Overall, the room/suite was spacious, the bed was comfortable and there was a daily English paper delivered every morning.
The hotel itself has a couple of restaurants and there is a lounge in one of the top floors. We did not check it during our stay and we never noticed any noise or obnoxious patrons of the lounge. The hotel has a pool at the top floor, but like the lounge we did not bother with the pool.
The staff was very warm and welcoming. They were very helpful when we asked about tips on how to get to Genting.
I would rate PRH very good and a good value. We got a very good deal with the rooms. If you are going to be staying mostly in your room and want a luxury hotel, do not pick PRH. However, if you are in KL to see the sights and will be out and about, I would suggest staying at PRH.

Room Tip: KL has light rails operated by different companies. Lines rarely cross, and you may have to walk a b...
1 Thank JoeBruin1
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We spent six nights at this hotel and loved it very much. Here are some good points about this hotel,

Great location, right next to the KL tower, 10 mins walk to twin tower, close to shopping, just about 10 ringgit for taxi ride to nearby shopping and restaurants

Fantastic roof top pool, amazing place to relax with great service from the staff at the Luna Bar, some nights (mostly weekends) they have pool party with DJ which was why we originally chose this hotel over other hotels in the area

The staff are amazing. The gentlemen and the ladies at the reception, they all were extremely polite, respectful, and helpful. They gave us lots of helpful tips, where to go for shopping, where to eat, etc. They always welcomed us and we always had a chat about how our day was, where we went. We got to know 5, or 6 people at the reception and they were all very nice and lovely.

The rooms are relatively clean and very secure.

Just two things about this hotel which would have made it five star for us,
we stayed for 7 days so it would have been nice if we were treated by a free breakfast or a free lunch or something like that just to thank us for our long stay. But even without that we still had buffet breakfast most mornings and enjoyed it very much (good variety and nice food)

The only downside with the hotel is that although it looks fancy, it needs renovation very soon. The rooms are aging, some stains on the carpets, minor molds in the shower joints, and you could see that this place hasn't been renovated for some time. However, this did not stop us from enjoying our stay since there were lots of other good points that made us overlook these minor issues. But I think they were renovating some areas of the hotel, I hope they do have some plans for the rooms and the corridors.

Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 9, 2012

very good perfrect room near the twin towers ...really great place to live at ... the nepali staff is really corteous and helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sharmamayank
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 8, 2012

89 m2 executive suite at a reasonable price was a great way to spend Christmas in this great city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This modern hotel is centrally located beside the KL Tower, not far from the Petronas Towers and within walking distance of the dining and entertainment district. The suites are twice as large as in some other hotels in the same price range and you get a kitchen with a full fridge, a large bathroom, AC and a large outdoor swimming pool on the rooftop with a view of the skyline and one of the twin towers. Staff are friendly and very helpful.
With the kitchen in the suite, you can buy groceries at the supermarket and save some money for dining out in the evening.
There are three restaurants and you get a one-time 20% discount coupon for each. The prices are a bit high by KL standards, but the food is quite good and the view is excellent.

On the negative side, the entrance to the hotel is up a steep car ramp (there are no steps). This is not a problem when you arrive by taxi or car, but a real drag when you're walking back home after a day of sightseeing. But at least there is a smiling doorman waiting at the top to open the door for you.

We had trouble getting hot water in the sink, but there was plenty in the tub and shower, once we figured out the hot and cold were reversed.
Our first suite on the 30th floor was across from a clothing store operating out of a large suite. This was a bit noisy and people were smoking in the staff elevator lobby even though the entire floor was non-smoking. This could also pose a security risk because of outsiders accessing the floor. Normally, elevator access to floors where rooms are located is controlled by your room key so security is not an issue.
As soon as we complained about the smoking, we were offered an upgrade on the 31st floor, which was quieter and no one was smoking.

The pool opens at 7:30 a.m., but I'm not sure what time they clean it because there were balls of hair sitting at the bottom near the pool ladder first thing in the morning. The open-air swimming experience is great, however.
My sister-in-law's suite had problems with the toilet plugging up and it took several calls and two attempts to fix the problem.
Two other problems occurred on our last day. We had asked for a wake-up call to ensure we made our flight on time. The call never came. Luckily we woke up on time. We were also told that we did not need to order a taxi beforehand for the airport the next morning. The desk manager said that we could just pick one up at the taxi desk in front of the hotel. At 6 a.m. the next morning, there was not a taxi in sight and the front desk staff could not even order one by phone for us. These are serious staff problems that the hotel needs to address.

1 Thank DanoCanada