“Dinner Engagement Cancelled by Hotel!!!”

Carcosa Seri Negara
Ranked #143 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We wanted to take our business colleagues in Kuala Lumpur out for a special evening to thank them for all the help they had given us with our new project here in Malaysia. Having had a very enjoyable English afternoon tea at Carcosa Seri Negara earlier in the year, we thought it the ideal place to take them.

We called about two weeks in advance to make our booking. We wanted a Friday night, 28th August, but were told the restaurant was closed due to a private function; but that they could offer us a table on the following Saturday (29th) - to which we agreed.

On Thursday 27th August, in the evening, we received a call from the hotel to say that they would have to cancel our booking on the Saturday since the dining rooom was 'full for a function' !! I have NEVER had what purports to be a five star hotel cancel a guest's booking at such sort notice - or even at all. We were offered no explanation, and they could not offer us any suitable alternative date. How on earth could the restaurant suddenly become 'unavailable'? Was it unexpectedly commandeered by the King, the Prime Minister or the Army for their cronies? The fact that the hotel was not prepared to tell us why they had to cancel on us rather leaves us to draw unfavourable conclusions.

We did manage to get a table at short notice at the 'Sensa' restaurant at the Hitlon hotel in KL Sentral, which was very good indeed. Not quite the ambience of Carcosa Seri Negara, but evidently, those who don't know people in the right places in this country can't be choosers. Just a warning if anyone is planning to entertain important business clients at this hotel: elsewhere might be more reliable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank NigelWalker

Reviewed July 15, 2009

The afternoon tea at the drawing room is classy. Table setting is beautiful, atmosphere relaxing and services heartening. Antiques decorate every corner of the hotel. The quality of food though is average. Afternoon tea starts at 3 pm and advance booking at weekends is necessary as this place is very popular with locals and Japanese tourists.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Sarah88HongKong
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I stayed in the Seri Kinabalu suite and experienced incredible service from our butler, Hadi. This lovely mansion is an oasis of calm and serenity, ideal for those seeking something different from the usual glitzy 5-star chains. It is surrounded by lush greenery and one feels as though one has stepped back into the colonial past of Malaysia.
I had a relaxing time with my family and visited the nearby aviary. They will drop you within a 15km radius.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank ozchinoise
Reviewed January 30, 2009

I stayed at this Hotel in connection with a business meeting. It is a great old colonial building, with wonderful grounds and a great sense of history about the place. If you are expecting a modern hotel with standard 5 star amenities, however, you will be sorely disappointed. First of all, the condition of our room was close to appalling given the price and reputation of this hotel. The furniture is worn and tired, the place in general is has a musty, dingy feel to it. When I turned on the tap in the bathroom, out belched brown, foul smelling discharge. The toilet seat was cracked and scratched. The power points on the walls are old, broken and largely non-functional. The place looks like it hasn't been renovated in about 20 years, and it really shows. The owners of this hotel are really letting the place down.

Also, what I found most annoying, I could not sleep at night, due to the number of mosquitoes in the room, and when I complained, it took about 2 hours for the hotel to figure out how to respond. Hopeless.

A few good points: Our personal butler was great, attentive, helpful, professional. Wi fi in the rooms was pretty good. The gardens are beautiful. That is about it I am afraid.

I moved to the Mandarin after one night, which is a really well run business hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
6  Thank NAC88
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Fantastic Christmas in Malaysia.

The butler was very professional. the rooms full of colonial charm, the balconies and views great, and the staff always at hand.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank RafikiLondon
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Carcosa Seri Negara is one of the kind hotels in Kuala Lumpur. My stay for 3 nights in October 2008 made me experience a different world at Carcosa.

Big suites, quite surroundings, a glimpse of Petronas during the walks, one of the kind French Restaurant made my stay memorable in Malaysia.

And yes...don't forget to enjoy the rare butler service at this hotel.

In my opinion, it is one of the best places to stay at Kuala Lumpur.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mintum
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I was allocated Seri Makmur which was a huge deluxe suite with 2 wraparound balconies. This beautiful hotel is steeped in history, very much like Raffles in Singapore and the Oriental in Bangkok. Mus was my personal butler and he was excellent. He met me at the airport, attended to all my requests and farewelled me at the airport too. I have stayed at the Oriental Bangkok and the Peninsula Hong Kong but the service at Carcosa is streets ahead. Also the value is just incredible, inclusive of minibar (soft drinks and beer), pistachios and biscuits too. The roti canai breakfast is the best I've ever had in Malaysia.

There are little touches which make this place special. You get to know the staff, the GM greets you on arrival and her assistant also pops by to say hello. Service here is the best I've ever encountered in a leading hotel. They are proactive unlike most other hotels, eg asking you first about your laundry needs and whether you would like tea or coffee when you get back from a trip out.

The service at the Gulai House was also excellent. We were attended by 2 whose names I forget. Rizal was another who served me very well at breakfast time.

There were 3 small flower arrangements provided. The lounge and dining area of my suite were beautifully furnished. When you stay here you get the feeling that you're staying in a beautiful manor. The grounds are popular with brides for photos. High tea here is also very popular.

There are some minor minuses. You get dropped in a beautiful limo within a certain radius but have to catch a cab to get back and may not be a well known place of abode amongst the cabbies. To avoid the hassle you can organise a pickup from the hotel at RM$50 which is very reasonable. Some may think it requires some touching up here and there but be very mindful of what you're paying compared to the other capitals of Asia. The balconies get cleaned regularly but as it's in the tropics, small lizards are regular guests along with their droppings.

• Stayed: September 2008