“Good Location - Hard Beds”

KL Plaza Suites Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #303 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Brighton, Canada
“Good Location - Hard Beds”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Located above the Farenheit 88 shopping mall in Bukit Bintang area. The Pavilion Mall is just across the road. A neat Coffee House is just outside with free wi-fi. At first we were given an older suite, but with black marks, peeling plaster and damp marks on the walls and a broken couch. Totally uninhabitable and nothing like the picture above. We requested a renovated suite but were still very disappointed. Although it was fairly clean, it had very basic furniture, ragged curtains on the windows, one picture on the wall, very old TV with about 4 stations (3 of which were local) and no remote. Worst of all were the matresses. Hard as a rock. Like sleeping on a board. I had to put 8 towels under the sheets before I could get to sleep. The bathroom was modernised and had plenty of hot water. All in all, not the kind of place I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Room C187 had a balcony overlooking the Marriot Hotel pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travel-Buff60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the KL Plaza Suites for a week in October 2012. I booked it through RCI Holidays. It was really cheap so and I had read some pretty average reviews on it. The building also incorporates Farenheit Suites, which have been renovated well. It is not well marked on the outside - you need to ask the taxi drivers to take you to Farenheit - the reception is on the 5th floor. Best entry is from the side street.

The Plaza Suite rooms - we stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms - were spacious and clean, but in need of a make over/refurbishment. We were not happy with the initial apartment and took about half an hour checking others available until we found a better one. The beds in the first one were rock hard!

Overall, it was good value (I said it was cheap) and the location is excellent - right in the heart of Bukit Bintang shopping area of KL. Easy access to the public transport - monorail and free shuttle buses. The facilities were pretty good - big pool and gym, although the change rooms adjacent were pretty bad - again, refurbishment required.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tony B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Not too hard to find the entrance as most of the "Teksi" drivers know where it is and when you arrive it is easier to follow the signeage to "farenheit 88" which happens to have their check in etc right next door to the RCI check in on the 5th floor. They have a decent pool which is cleaned daily but everything screams 70's and basic. The double rooms are basic but functional unless you want to spend a lot of time resting in them, ours was serviced each day.
Biggest complaint was the bed. It was hard, like really hard. You may as well sleep on a carpeted floor it was that hard.
You will have to take this into account as well as its excellent location before making a decision, based on cost it was worth it based on comfort it was not

Room Tip: There is a night club underneath which operates only a couple of nights but I did not hear it for lo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Noel W
Sydney,Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The location is great. Pavilion and Lot 10 right next door, covered walkway to the towers. You couldn't want better. Everything about the hotel was bad. The entry, the lifts, the reception, the security all poor. No wi-fi in 2012, you're joking. But the worst was the bed. We could not sleep at all so we packed our things in the morning and asked for a different room. We were given one which had a marginally better bed and we stayed because we couldn't get a refund.

Stayed August 2012
5 Thank magfowl

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

this place is not worth the money .hotel needs a lot of maintenance staff not helpfull ,very hard to find

Room Tip: they have no good rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank smokey1527
Singapore
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Recently upgraded ,great location with this price is above my expectation will come back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jacky79
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Worst Place ever to stay. Do not believe how RCI have included such a cheap property in their list of offerings. The only good thing is the location. Otherwise rating is ZERO. The representatives are all crooks. And I actually lodged a complaint with RCI after my stay. Unfortunately, RCI did not do anything in the matter. Please see the copy of my complaint below for all the problems I faced:

. The problems started much before I landed in the city. My booking was from 15th July. As per their standard rule, their check in timing is 3PM onwards. And to my bad luck, my flight was to land in KL at 6AM in the morning. Which meant, I would have reached the hotel around 8AM. Since I was accompanied by 3 more adults and an infant, I had requested the hotel to give me an early check in. To this, the hotel bluntly refused. I do not blame them much for this because, it is their business, but the problem started when I offered money to them to give me a room for 4-5 hours. They charged me 230 ringetts for these hours which was much more than what they charge for a full night stay of equivalent room. I cross checked the prices on sites like hotels.com and booking.com. There, the standard charges for KL plaza was at least 30% less than what they demanded from me. The worst part was, when I tried negotiating with them about this extra charge, they were blunt enough to say that I can go look for a hotel elseware. I have a written email with this language from them. I think, in a service industry, this type of language is not acceptable in any standard specially when I had a booking for 1 full week. And when I landed, I used this expensive room for only 2 hours. Because, since I had paid for this room, they gave me an early check in to my actual room at 10 AM only. Had this been offered before, I would have definitely saved my money.

2. When I reached the hotel, I was actually shocked to find that the hotel is at 5th floor and there is no bell boy or help counter or anything on the ground floor. They expect us to reach the 5th floor without any guidance whatsoever and that too with all our luggage on our own. The hotel does not have any bell boy to take care of the bags and only 1 BROKEN bell cart to carry the luggage for all customers. I first went upstairs, requested for the bell boy, and in absence, requested for the cart which they issued from a locked room and managed all the suitcases myself. I really do not appreciate this specially when I am on vacations. When I inquired, why do they not have bell boys, they had 1 simple answer that they are not a hotel, but a condominium service and they do not offer such services. Do you think this should be acceptable?

3. Problems arose more when I realized that there were no Internet availability in the room or anywhere in the hotel. Nowadays, all hotels provide Free internet. But here, even paid internet was not available. I was absolutely cut off from rest of the world without the internet. Similarly, if I wanted to sit in my room and eat something without cooking, that was also not possible. This is because, there was no facility to call and order food. They have no kitchen etc. where we can call and order. Again, the simple answer was, " We are a condominium service and therefore do not offer such facilities"

4. We faced problems with swimming pool as well. Though, the pool was clean, it was not the pool of the hotel. It was a shared pool between this hotel, another hotel in the same building, independent apartments in the building and children of nearby buildings as well who pay and use the pool. Do you think with this kind of a pool, anyone can enjoy. It was mostly over crowded. And the children there had some special hatred against foreign language speaking people, so they used to almost spit on us and run away. It did happen many times.

5. As per the RCI booking letter that was issued to us, this hotel was supposed to have a sauna center, a squash room, playground area and a grocery store. But, none of this was available. The sauna was not working for many months and others were unavailable. This is purely misleading.

6. Last but not the least, and in fact the biggest trouble that we had over there was LIZARDS. There were many more lizards in our condo than we were. We were fairly outnumbered by them. When we complained to the hotel staff, there 1st response was that we can do nothing about it as the lizards run very fast and they cannot catch them. When we said that such a reply is pretty stupid, they said that since they are not a hotel, they really cannot do anything about it. They bluntly refused to take care of the issue. I do not know how in the world can someone give such a reply to a genuine problem of lizards entering the guests luggage and baby's clothing.

7. Though the last one was last, but, I also would like to point out that the overall quality of the condo was also pathetic. The toilet doors were broken, the sofa set in the entrance was also disfigured and the overall ambience made us feel that as if it was not a place to live.

Room Tip: NO ROOM is GOOD ROOM. All are in very bad shape. Rooms are smelly. Stlll if you have to chose, try t...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family