“Rarely had so many issues...there are better options”

Hotel Maya Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #65 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Rarely have I stayed at a hotel claiming to be 5 stars with such poor service from reception and management or had so many gaps between what I booked and wha the hotel claimed I booked. My visit even endd with a wheel clamp on my car, which was parked under the sign reserved Hotel Maya but allegedly should have been parked elsewhere. The hotel is tired and aging and the staff is completely disempowered and incompetent. 3 stars is all it deserves and management should be ashamed. I am not a difficult guest, but the idiocy I experinced is beyond descripton. A real shame.

Room Tip: Deluxe suite with view of Petronas Towers.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Travellerwithoutname
There are newer reviews for Hotel Maya Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

After a very long trip from the UK, We made our way to the Hotel Maya. Check in at this hotel was fast and efficient, with warm bottles of water given to us at the desk. We were given the choice of Single beds with a view of the Petronas Towers or Double bed without. We initially chose the view with until we saw the size of the single room and quickly swapped rooms!
Upon first glance this hotel is well presented with a beautiful lobby area, and pool/public area's, however this is where our viewa changed. We are quite care free travellera but the rooms here really bugged us: We had no hot water at all for the 3 days of our stay, the blinds were in poor condition, toilet flush was poor, there were tiny bugs everywhere, extremely poor finishings to the bathroom (plastering and sealant).
We did make this known to the staff who just said sorry and offered us to change rooms, which would have likely been the same.
However the good points to this hotel were the pool area, the beds were comfy and beauty of the lobby area. Oh and the sky lounge where we witnessed a huge thunder storm!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I just recently stayed in the Maya Hotel, I stayed there with my husband and I would like to lodge a few complaints about my experiences there. This hotel has been the worst I have ever stayed at in my life. Never have I felt so targeted and helpless because of the fact that I was a women. When my husband was around we were never questioned and our service was respectable (still not the best) but when I had to spend one night alone in the hotel by myself I felt so incredibly unsafe. Here is a list of my complaints:

1) There was a line of ants walking up and down our wall the ENTIRE time we were staying there. I called the front desk to ask them to do something about this, never once did they discuss moving our rooms. Instead they sent a man to come look at it, he left wet chemicals sprayed on part of our bed and the wall and just left. Then we called the front desk again because they were still there and it took them 45 minutes for someone to come help me. He came back and did the same thing. The ants came back again after this. The second time the man came back into my room he asked me where my husband was now, which was a very odd and personal question in itself. My husband was on his ship in port Klang and it made me feel extremely unsafe to be in a room with another man who I didn't know, while in a foreign country, who was asking me about my husband and where he went. It was frightening for me as a women staying alone!!

2) The day before my husband left he went to the lobby and asked the prices on the taxis, they told him a car is 100 ringit, a van is 150 ringit, and a limo was 200 ringit to the airport. I remember because I was right there with him. He set up a reservation for me for a day later to the airport. Later during the day I came back to the lobby to confirm my reservation and they told me that there was no reservation made and that a trip to the airport was going to be 120 ringit. Where did that price come from!? I had no idea! And I felt completely betrayed because they had just told my husband a different amount and because I was a women they changed the price. I then put up a fuss and told them they had told me another price previously and the man I talked to asked me who I spoke with and I told him someone at the other desk in the lobby. He then changed the price back to 100 ringit for a car and 150 for a van and so on. This made me feel terrible!! It felt like they were trying to scam me out of my money!!

3) The last day I spent there was terrible because I went downstairs to have breakfast alone. The day before my husband and I ate breakfast and had the buffet in the morning and we were never questioned. But the morning I was alone a staff member came up to me and informed me that I didn't have this paid for and that I was going to have to pay for this meal out of pocket!! When I had already paid them! But what concerns me the most is that when my husband was around they didn't say A THING to me! But when I was alone they questioned me AGAIN and attempted to scam me again!!

Never have I ever been so ill treated before. I have traveled all over North America, the Dominican Republic, to Europe and now to South Eastern Asia and never have I felt so targeted because of my gender. This is a hotel I will never ever go back to again and never will recommend to anyone, in fact I will tell them to avoid it!! I hope something changes soon because this is a terrible hotel and for the last day and a half of my time while I was alone in a foreign city, I expected my hotel to be a safe haven for me to return to. Instead it was the complete opposite. Do not stay at this hotel. I have no idea why this hotel is a "5 star" because it definitely isn't in my books.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kimberley D
Reviewed October 9, 2012

the hotel maya is well located and offers great value. you can walk to the petronas towers and to each of the different lines of the public transportation system.rooms are large and well appointed. but why i return is because management and staff respond to guests concerns and needs. this more than anything makes me feel comfortable. not all guests or hotels are perfect. on this most recent stay i had several complaints and each was addressed and solved. 1] the bed which was supposed to be a king mattress was actually two twins pushed together.this is somewhat common in asian hotels but i know from previous stay that the mattress should have been a king mattress. also the two twins were of different sizes making for a most uncomfortable night. my contact at the hotel, the reservations manager took my complaint and had the mattress changed to a king . because of my lack of sleep i requested an adjustment to my bill. the adjustment was fair and an acknowledgement by management that my complaint was justified and that i was valued as a guest. 2] the windows of my room were dirty . they were covered with finger prints. this was corrected immediatley. a hotel which has the benefit of great views from their rooms should take pride in that feature and take particular care of windows. again the hotel managment solved this problem.
this is why i return to certain hotels because the managment and staff makes things right. dont you feel the same? i have read other reviews regarding sheets and cleanliness issues. i have only had clean and new sheets and towels at the hotel maya. should you have any issues of this kind or of some other issue, feel confident the hotel management will acknowledge the issue and correct the problem.
the reservations staff is responsive. this is important to most email savvy travellers.
the buffest breakfast is the morning continues to offer qualtiy offerings. the wifi is consistent and my speed test showed fairly quick speeds enough for business and skype.

Room Tip: dont get hung up on the side of the hotel with views of the petronas towers. the opposite side overl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pilot_808
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our room has a floor to ceiling windows which gives us a good view of the Petronas Towers which incidentally is just across. The description as a 5star boutique hotel isnt appropriate though, maybe a 4 star hotel since their pillows are heavenly soft and the hydromassage pool is truly refreshing. The buffet spread is quite limited. If not for the blog I read, I wouldn't know that grilled salmon and steak can be ordered. If you plan to do a lot of shopping and be where the action is, book a hotel in the bukit bintang area.

Room Tip: Our room has a floor to ceiling windows that has a spectacular view of the Petronas Towers which inc...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel has a good location, but average rooms. The towels and bath mat were shabby and the bed sheets stained, although the rest of the room was clean. Not a 5 star hotel at all, more like an average 3 star with a few nice features.

The check-in was odd, and we weren't told anything about the facilities, but overheard them Via another guest. They offer free coffee and cakes on the 13th floor at night, with a spectacular view of the towers. Funny though, as after I took my free cake, I was looking for a spoon or cake fork (as it was sticky) and was told "only one!" by the staff. Maybe they thought I was going to eat the lot, but when I said I was looking for a fork, she just ignored me. A nice idea though, and it's a beautiful view.

We got a cab for 20 ringyat to KL Sentral station (about 20 mins with average traffic) and the airport train to the international airport, so it was very easy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Our disappointment started at check in. We were ushered to a desk for check in and I passed our hotel voucher. There was no greeting of any sort, we could have been invisible. The check in was a long procedure with no words spoken. The desk was away from the other desks that had the credit card machines so the guy was back and Forth. Eventually we were given the room key with the absolute minimum of words. I then asked where are the lifts as it is our first time and he just waved us in the direction. In the lift we found that we needed to insert our card but he never ever had the simple common courtesy to tell us of this. In most 4/5 star hotels you are accompanied to the room! Within 30 seconds of entering the room we could tell the place was in need of repair. The air con temperature regulator didn't work and all the switches were worn and dirty. The bathroom was surrounded by glass which is fine if you keep it cleaned, you could see it had been cleaned in a half hearted way for years. The television was a very OLD CRT and watching BBC was like sitting in a snowstorm!!! The only movie channel was Vision Four and you cannot get worse than that. They had a hair dryer in the room but it had a 2 pin plug which does not fit in Malaysia, but No Adapter !!!!! During our stay of 1 night we were only greeted cordially by one member of staff. On one occasion a member of staff walked past me and physically ignored my presence. The place might might have an architectural award but only for looks not guest functionality the lift locations fit the hotel Strange.
If you want real value for money and friendly staff on Jalan Ampang go to the Corus Hotel it might not look so good from outside but inside will not disappoint. Read my review for that.

Room Tip: Don't bother go to the Corus
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business