“Good location-needs some polishing on attentiveness”

Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Ranked #38 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed December 15, 2010

For this price in KL this should be a top notch hotel. I would say it was a "good hotel". The staff was very attentive and cared for all your needs when you let them know. The cleanliness of the bathroom was questionable as there was mildew in several places in the shower. I told them about it on several occasions but it never was completely cleaned up. My room had a mildew order to it that was never resolved. We stayed in the West Wing on the recommendation of the staff during a phone call prior to booking. The views were terrible. The pool is not very useful because it is surrounded by hotel and buildings, so it was very cool. Overall a nice place, a bit overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,905)

Reviewed December 2, 2010

I booked this hotel via AirAsiaGo as there was a promotion. At first glance it seemed like good value as it was fairly reasonably priced and there were mostly good reviews on TripAdvisor. The location was also quite convenient. However unfortunatley, my experience has resulted in the most scathing review I have written so far.

The reception was friendly but could be polished a bit more. For example, I needed to point out that I was a citizen of the United Kingdom and not IRELAND as written on my room details. The reason being that my passport reads "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - and have the receptionist correct my details. Not a big problem but could be a bit more professional.

The big problem was when I arrived at the room. I have never smelled stronger insecticide in my life - it was like stepping into a room full of moth balls where the air had never been changed.

The bed was fairly comfortable, to be fair. The decor was a bit dated, but OK overall. The biggest problem was with the condition of the room and fixtures:

-Television was dead and would not power on
-Dangerous exposed wiring on the desk lamp
-Two burned out light bulbs
-Ironing board was well beyond its best days and was rickety and on the verge of collapsing
-Iron power cord insulation was frayed and dangerous
-Chrome in bathroom hadn't been properly polished and I could see remnants of toothpaste
-Some hair found in the bathroom

The room rate included buffet breakfast at "Temptations" restaurant on the ground floor. The assortment looked ok and I started with a coffee and pastry. However, when I saw a cockroach scurry under my seat, I made the decision to end my breakfast at the hotel and continue at McDonalds, as any other person would, I'm sure.

If there was only one or two problems I would give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and contact them before posting the review here. However as the problems are obviously systemic they need to be named and shamed out in the open.

I look forward to a response from the management.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank cpdc1030
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We have stayed the twice due to the great value for money. Room was lovely, clean & good in size. We asked for a twin tower view the first time & we got it – lovely view. The 2nd time we got a pool view. Large windows with great views. Staff were very helpful. 2 mins walk to the monrail. Rooftop pool lovely. Breakfast on the pricy side but had lots of choice.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Near to KLCC, can reach there in 10 minutes on foot. Monorail and Hard Rock Cafe are just opposite the West Wing lobby, consider a convenient location to travel around.

Stayed 1 nights in the Lifestyle room and 2 nights in the guest room in west wing. Liftstyle room is just a renew small room in East wing, comfortable but not that great base on the price you paid for. Room in west wing is spacious but looks little tired. Love the swimming pool area which is big enough.

The breafast area in East Wing is really a gem, I will rate this the best or 2nd Hotel breafast I ever had, especially the bakery section really do it to perfect. Breakfast area in West Wing is smaller but quiet for a relax breakfast, having the same selection but the quality is not as good as in the East Wing (you can choose to go east wing for breakfast even though u r staying in west).

Will be back to this hotel only if I can get a good price, else will just choose those at Bukit Bintang area

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I booked a West Wing Deluxe room using complimentary voucher from Renaissance Prestige Plus Programme. Was check in at 11am which made room difficult to get but after waiting about 20-30min, I managed to use another upgrade voucher which entitled to get Junior Suite on West Wing. The room was big with 2 separate living and bed. All was perfect except some lighting in bathroom was not functioning. After complaint, they managed to change in about 15min. Both bed and living room having each big LCD TV which was great. Facilities and amenities was superb with great range of Fitness Centre. Only my disappointing was the staff attitude while at pool area. They are not proactive and being friendly enough to the guest.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for about 4 or 5 days and didn't really have any complaints. Our room was on the 14th floor of the East Wing, which I think may have been slightly more upgraded than lower floors in that building. Our room was spacious and clean and generally comfortable with views directly onto the Twin Towers.
We found all staff friendly and approachable so no issues there either.
The pool on the 4th floor,the pool itself was pretty big and was kept tidy and clean, a positive point for us was late access to the pool - you can swim till 11pm.
The West Wing houses most of the facilities being the restaurants, bars etc. You can walk through the building easily to access this. Personally we didn't really use the restaurants, only really for breakfast and room service on 1 occasion (which was surprisingly good, room service normally is never great in our experience). Breakfast was vast providing both Malay and continental breakfast. On the Continental side of things, a few items were very cold consistently - the scrambled egg, beans and tomatoes although sat within heated plates didn't stay warm and actually tasted quite bad. All other items were good, and the selection was extensive so we duplicated these items with others easily. We did use the bar, mainly the lobby bar as the Mezzo bar lacked atmosphere and was quite small.
We both felt the West Wing, although it clearly has had a bit of upgrading which is noticeable is really very confused in form of decor. Its got lovely black tiles with snazzy chandeliers in the lobby area, then a very dowdy bar area with old style wood and flowery carpet and upholstery. Perhaps hotel management need to take a walk round and look with customers eyes to understand what we mean.
Location wise, its in the Golden Triangle which is where everything is. You can walk to most places and if not the Monorail is just outside the hotel and cost only £1 to get anywhere. Just as an additional point to note all hotels in Kuala Lumpur are at least 1 hour away from the airport - the hotel can arrange a car which will cost approx £50 one way. Other wise you can get a coach to Central Station for about £5 then take the Monorail to them directly.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I had the pleasure to stay at the East Wing of the Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel last October. The staff is amazing and very friendly, always polite, ready to help and with a smile on the face.
We had the luck of an upgrade, with an amazing view of the city's greatest economic symbol, the Petronas Twin Towers. This landmark offers you quite a view at night. The food is of extreme quality and variety and the hotel offers several facilities with discount for hotel guests.
It's near everywhere and near several transports (Sky Train and Buses). It's a 5-10 minute walk to KL Tower and Petronas Twin Towers.
With any doubt, I recommend this hotel to anyone who travels to Kuala Lumpur.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple