“Worst staff I had ever seen in a hotel”

Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Ranked #35 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Kochi (Cochin), India
“Worst staff I had ever seen in a hotel”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had the chance of staying here for 3nights and 4 days .ambience of the hotel is so good ,well located twin towers ...staff r so rude to the guest.you don't expect them to serve you.they won't .and as pointed by some one they just make fun of you as if we stay free there.i ll never recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance_KL, Adrian Ee, Director of Operations at Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments relating to your recent experience whilst staying with us. Having gone through feedback, please allow us to express our most sincere apologies for the treatment from our Associates which you encountered is totally unacceptable. We have taken note of your comments and please be rest assured that we will intensify our re-training focusing on guest service delivery to avoid any re-occurrences of such nature.

Your business is indeed important to us and we thank you for your feedback as only through comments such as yours we are able to improve our services and product. We are truly sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you and sincerely hope we will have another opportunity to be of service to you and make it right for your next stay.

Yours sincerely,
Adrian Ee
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Hi, This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The staff make fun of their guests and are very rude. I have a problem in my eye lids. One of the staff pointed at my eye lids and started laughing. When I showed him anger, he replied 'just asking'. I cant believe it that the staff will behave this way even in the worst hotel of the world.
Later when I was checking out from the hotel next day, I noticed the staff members are looking at me and one staff member was pointing at me that I am the same girl with eye lid problem. I felt so bad that how can you make fun of someone's problem.
Since I was getting late to reach airport, I just left immediately. But now I cannot forget the humiliation of the staff and will never recommend anyone to go to any Renaissance Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Nivedita4
Renaissance_KL, General Manager at Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. Naturally, I was most concerned to read your comments and I am embarrassed for the disrespectful and unprofessional behavior displayed by one of our Associates, which is totally unacceptable. We do not condone rude behavior in any form towards our guests as it is simply unacceptable and is absolutely against the Renaissance’s philosophy of “Spirit to Serve”. Allow me to express my deepest apologies and I can assure you that serious counseling which may lead to disciplinary action will be taken against the Associate in question. I would appreciate it if you could email directly to me (robert.frager@renaissancehotels.com) the name of the Associate. I have already shared your comments with our Team and Human Resources to ensure our training emphasizes on proper mannerism and respect.

Your business is important to us and I thank you for your constructive feedback as it is only through comments such as yours that enable us to improve our services.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope this isolated incident will not mar your overall impression towards the Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel and you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Yours sincerely,
Robert Frager
Hanoi
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Maybe I was just lucky? A 3 night stay with a friendly welcome and super view of the twin towers - 18th floor no-smoking, Huge bed with really soft pillows, free , fast internet, outstanding Fitness / Health facilities and a very short walk to the PETRONAS Towers with easy access by train / sky train. I particularly found the service exceptionally good and my usual fight with a hotel chef to create a personal off the menu meal was done without the bat of an eye and I was most impressed with that. Yes I guess its feeling its age in places but the heart of this hotel is its staff , and It will be my hotel of choice if I return to KL

Room Tip: East wing to the left is the best view of the towers, make sure you ask for this view in your reques...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TeacherHanoi
Bengaluru
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Came to Renaissance KL from Langkawi and were a little worried if they would match what we got at Langkawi, but boy oh boy did they delight us. Check in was quick, smart and professional and we stayed at the Junior Suite on the 10 floor in the East Wing facing the brilliant petronas twin towers (truly is a brilliant sight to see while going to bed with all the lights or waking up with it as your view). We had our 3 year old son with us who loved the view too. A very special mention the Lillian- the duty Manager - she was truly special and was the perfect example of what Customer Service is all about. Since we had a small boy, she went out of her way to ensure we got a stroller, so that we could see the sights and do all our shopping (which was quite a bit ;)). It was a wonderful gesture and just made our holiday even better. She then topped it off further by giving us a late check-out (6 hours) so that it would be convinient and we would be all rested for our long flight back home to India. The entire staff was always eager to help and always went that extra bit to make you more comfortable. A mention also about "great room service" - Great food and quick service. When I do go back to KL I will ensure that I only stay at the Renaissance - that is what good customer service can do- "Build Brands and Build Customer Loyalty"- Well done guys!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank toochill
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'll definitely be going back to the Renaissance next time I'm in KL. Location-wise it's hard to beat - just minutes walk from the Petronas Towers (half of the rooms have stunning views of them too), minutes from the monorail and minutes from the underground train to take you directly to the KLIA airport express train.

I booked 2 nights in a club room but was very pleased to discover I'd been upgraded to the Lifestyle floor in the East tower. Definitely worth the extra money as these floors are all newly renovated and very clean and modern, and much more peaceful than the club floors and the rest of the hotel. The Lifestyle lounge was a great place to chill out and had a great array of snacks and drinks during the day, and a great selection of alcoholic drinks and hot food during the evening cocktail hours. The staff in the lounge also were genuinely helpful and friendly people and went out of their way to help me with arranging restaurants and sightseeing. They also served breakfast in the lounge but I ate downstairs as the buffet on offer in the restaurant was possibly the biggest selection I've ever seen, covering Malay, Chinese, Indian and Western foods, and even icecream and a chocolate fountain. Excellent omelet chefs too. Between that and the Lifestyle lounge evening buffet I hardly ate anything outside of the hotel.

There's a decent pool shared between the two towers, and despite there seeming to be a lot of coachloads of tourists arrived, neither the pool or the restaurant ever seemed overcrowded. Marriotts also have the most comfortable beds of any hotel I've stayed in and this one was no disappointment.

Being part of the Marriott chain you're guaranteed a decent level of service, good restaurants and a decent bed, and that's certainly what you get at the Renaissance. I stayed for 2 nights over a weekend and had booked a club room, but upon arrival I was thrilled to be upgraded to one of the Lifestyle rooms. These are on the top floors and are all newly renovated and very modern, as is the Lifestyle lounge

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Petronas Towers
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I hesitated to write this review because I've stayed in other Renaissance hotels and I wasn't expecting this from Renaissance KL. This is probably the lowest scored review I've written but it was in the context of a good class hotel, a reputatable brand.

Stayed 2 nights at the East Wing. On the first day, I stayed on lower floors and the room decor looks like it was at least 20-30yrs old. There were alot of small little fruitflies? in the room and was an annoyance. Electrical control switch for the lights were not working and so I slept with some lights turned on. Maintenance guys said 1 option was to loosen the bulbs or will change a room for me, but it was already past midnight when I realized the lighting control was not working. The bathroom was very old and I could see alot of water marks/stains on the glass doors - a sign that housekeeping wasn't done really well. Sofa/Chairs had fabric covers that were old and torn. This cannot be KL standard.

As the rates I booked were like 15% cheaper than if I were to stayed in JW Marriott or Rtiz Carlton in a better area of KL, I had wanted to check out the next day, but the reception suggested to move me to a higher floor. I was told the top few floors of East Wing has been renovated. Looks good and I took the change.

Renovated rooms looked much much better, more like a 5* hotel at the first glance. But after staying for a night, I realized even the newly renovated rooms were not maintained that well.
The shower glass door couldn't close completely as the door as tipped on 1 side. I called maintenance and they readjusted the glass door. Shower bar was shaky, shower knob was missing a cover, .... the shower glass also had stains - towards the lower part of the glass, you could see it's blurred. Apparently not cleaned well enough. Wash basin was abit choked. I wasn't expecting all these from a fairly new room but definitely better.

The hotel area isn't the best. Its 5 mins walk to HardRock Cafe (maybe 15mins if you add in the waiting time to cross the junction). Going to KLCC from Renaissance is a 5-10mins walk, but the road towards KLCC is very dim in the evening and I saw motorcyclists going in circles, loitering, not a comfortable feeling. I was also approached by someone asking for money. I then heard from the staff that they don't recommend the staff to walk towards KLCC when nightfalls. Snatch theft, robberies are not uncommon.

Breakfast at the East Wing lobby was not spectacular. I would rate that 3.5 to 4*. The spread is reasonable, more on the local fare, but the self service ice cream / cones + chocolate fondue was nice especially for kids.

Cards system doesn't work well on the lifts. Weird problems like once you inserted the key in to the lift, several floors may be automatically selected. I was in a lift with a hotel staff and was told the lifts had some known electronic problems thats causing these annoying issues.

Carpark charges RM10 for unlimited exits per day.

Given the price I paid, I would choose not to return in future especially since there are several alternative hotels in KL. Whether in the same hotel group or other hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top few floors are newer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SporeSamSeng
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Staty 2 nights with my family of 4. We arrived early, they were very accomodating to let us have one room first. Had to check out late they allow us to have a room to 4 pm. Location is great too. Short walk to rail stations and attractions. Facilities are great! We enjoyed our staty.

Room Tip: Two towers, one is older then the other
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family