“View amazing - room very basic”

Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Ranked #35 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
“View amazing - room very basic”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights at this hotel in Mar 13. Paid £80 a night (incl buffet breakfast) through Booking.com. Hotel is right next to (10min walk) to the Petronas Towers and is a 45m journey (with no traffic) or 2 hours!! Away from the airport in rush hour (as we experienced).
We booked a Tower view room and we weren't disappointed with the view. The massive floor to ceiling window allowed for an amazing view of the Towers and central Kuala Lumpur! Got some great pictures. The hotel is really nice and when you walk into the reception it seems very modern and well looked after.
Checked into our room - nice big bed! However, all alliances are quite dated and old! The bathroom is very dated! The impression we got was that the rooms haven't been updated for a longtime (Eastwing) and the hotel have decided the view is all you want.
Breakfast buffet was nice, also had the Indian evening buffet one night which was great!
Overall - not bad for the price but the rooms desperately need a refurb!
On top of this itis without doubt the noisiest hotel we have ever stayed in (can hear water from other rooms as well as lots of noise from outside).

Room Tip: East wing for the Petronas Towers view but the rooms are old. Also - sign up for a Marriott rewards...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This review is based on my one night stay in December 2012. My husband and I arranged for a car to collect us at the airport and they sent a big sedan. Upon arrival I saw two huge tour busses so I was a bit worried that our check-in may take longer due to large number of tourists.

Check-in took a very long time because they had two agents working and one of them was answering a phone call. There wasn't anyone in front of us. We waited patiently, even though two people tried to jump in front of us. I can't recall the last time I waited more than 15 minutes to check-in at a hotel. May be in Las Vegas. I was annoyed so I went to the hotel bar to get a drink and a snack. My husband announced to me that they gave us a bigger room because our room type wasn't ready. Holy moly our room was huge! A suite the size of a small apartment complete with a living room, dining room, a small kitchenette, two entrances, a large comfortable bed, nice shower and a bath. I do have to mention that it seemed a bit dated but clean.

Alas, our only purpose of being there was for a wedding so we didn't get to enjoy this spectacular room. On to other stuff. Their ballroom was beautiful. Their bar area was nice. The waitresses were attentive and our snack dishes arrived quickly. Breakfast at the club level was just right. We didn't linger as we had a flight to catch.

For the price, I would say this is a good value for money hotel. I only have one other hotel in KL to compare but I would recommend this hotel to my friends with a disclaimer that I didn't venture outside of the hotel so I can't comment on its location.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LittleTeton
Rome, Italy
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a huge conference hotel with two wings - the east wing has Petronas tower views (or pool views on the other side), the west wing has KL tower views (as well as pool views). We were offered an upgrade from west to east for 55 euros/night, which seemed too expensive. The room itself was excellent, and it was possible to turn to AC off! (not always a given in Asia). The pool is fantastic (kidney dish shaped, but over 50 meters long). It also has very generous opening hours, which is excellent in sticky KL. Breakfast in the West wing was excellent (allegedly better than in the East wings - perhaps that's why there were queues in the morning. Housekeeping very good.
However: the "virtual concierge" was no good - we asked for high floors and views and initially got neither - make sure you print your booking and have it with you when you check in. Also check your bill carefully - we were initially charged for WIFI which was, however, part of our conference package. (Apparently you can also get free Wifi if you join their rewards programme).
The location is soso - the monorail is close by and the Petronas towers area within walking distance - other than that there isn't much nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I think they would usually book business travellers on the older rooms at the East Wing. The rundown and dirty carpet, yellowing bathroom fixtures and old furniture are I guess unavoidable but the other failures are inexcusable.

I had a fright after waking up at 2 am, there was only static on the TV, the phones were not working (receptionist didn't mention this upon check-in), and when I used the toilet--brackish water came out. I immeditely ran down to the lobby and raised these issues to the night manager who couldn't care less.

They moved me to a new room on the West Wing with club access, but the phones were still not working. I wasn't having the best time since I had influenza and anything I needed meant that I had to make a trip to the reception area. I asked for the email address of the GM from the West Wing night manager and again they don't seem to care that a guest is still awake at 4am, angry at them for a horrible hotel experience.

What irked me most was that both night managers were Filipinas and their attitude seemed to change (suddenly they were concerned) after they found out I was a Filipino. Good service should not discriminate, if Filipinos want to be recognized for exceptional service then we should extend our excellent behavior to all our guests--I really don't care for special treatment extended to "kababayans."

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank ermscram
Reviewed March 23, 2013

When we first arrived at the hotel after spending some time at the double tree Hilton nearby where my friends stayed, we were less than happy because comparatively it was a much older hotel.
We chose to pay extra and moved to the west wing whereby the room was bigger and the furnitures were slightly more modern. The room was also brighter with more lightings. After 6 days we came away happy overall due to the excellent service we received from the restaurant manager at breakfast, the house keeping staff, the front desk personnel and the service people at the Chinese restaurant.
They have a well equipped gymnasium with sauna, steam and jacuzzi. We found it a challenge to cross the road to get to the mass transit station because the pedestrian signal did not seem to work properly. It has a good size swimming pool but unfortunately surrounded by newly erected tall buildings. We would not recommend the spa at all.
Overall we were satisfied

• Stayed February 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 23, 2013

It has been an excellent stay at renaissance.

Good points : 1. Great staff and personnel, each one of them try to give their best attention to clients. 2. Fantastic buffet breakfast and lunch, you just can't ignore the fact varieties are available and choose what you want to eat ! 3. fantastic pool side and room amenities with a great twin towers view. 4. excellent security system arrangement for rooms and surrounding hotel. 5 . fantastic gym facilities.

Points to be careful : housekeeping and 'call maid' facility in the room. We had to call the reception twice for housekeeping service.

Lousy point : I just had a great impression on this, but on 21st of march, it seemed few points crossed my mind to post a great review. on 21st March morning, when i was checking out (about to get into taxi), surprisingly the receptionist said that i consumed a pack of candies on 19th march (which i didn't obviously) i did not want to accept that and so i told her to check my room, suprisingly, she refused !!!!! the fact is that 'mini bar' checker checked on 19th and approved that everything was 'OK' and after that we did not consume anything on 19th and thereafter. This incident was a lousy one and I want you to be a bit aware of the guy who checks the 'mini bar' and be careful that he should add expenses from your pocket!!!! However being a little optimistic I would think that : its a 'technical error'

Heart warming point : we had a black out in our room for couple of minutes, this was due to the magnetic card however we had to call the reception 'TWICE AGAIN !!!' at last the request was responded and a technician was sent for a check. What really made us 'feel good' was that there PR person who came and apologized for the blackout with a souvenir gifted to us. Courtesy to the reputation of the Hotel's image.

But overall without being a grumpy guy, I would still strongly recommend you this Hotel for a lovely stay, worth every single penny invested behind it !

Room Tip: The room with the twin towers view is simply mesmerizing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Karachi
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My first and current stay at Renaissance has firmed it as my preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur. Why? First is location: Petronas Twin Towers with park and mall 10 minute walk, monorail station (Bukit Nanas) 5 minute walk, LRT station (Dang Wangi) 10 minute walk, all the rest of city 10 minute taxi ride. The express KLIA train from airport to LRT station KL Sentral is 3 stops away (10 minutes). Second is the facility: The east wing offers room with a spectacular view of the twin towers, the rooms are spacious with all 5 star facilities, clean, it has a good gym, a unique Olympic size pool with bar, restaurants, fantastic breakfast, cigar and drinks lounge. Third is service: a highly effective and friendly concierge desk (ask for anything), easy check in and staff always asking for your comments on their service. Once I mentioned the absence of smoked salmon, the entire breakfast troupe knew who I was and served me smoked salmon, this is personalised service at it's ultimate. Also staff served "chai" (cooked tea) on request. Wow! See you again Rennaisance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business