“The Good, the bad and the ugly”

Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Ranked #35 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
London
“The Good, the bad and the ugly”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at th Renaissance 12th April to 15th April and separately on the 19th April. As the title suggest we saw the good and the bad side on the hotel after our recent stay.

The good - for our first stay, check in was great, really friendly chap on reception and an upgrade to an executive suite (room 1919). The room was excellent, spacious, good bed, room service is great, food was good, i ordered a green thai curry that was really tasty. The location is great, 2 minutes to the metro station, then 2 stops in to Bukit Bintang. We found the cost of a cab to the airport a rip off, 130 ringits to the airport, the cost should be no more then 80 to 100. I'd recommend hailing a cab from elsewhere but its so humid its just so convenient to order the cab from the front of the hotel but id recommend arranging somethhing alternative. Overall the first stay was really great 9/10.

The bad and ugly- our second stay on the 19th April. Lady at check in offered us a twin room, we refused (as we'd paid for a double) and we were given room 1217 in the east wing. She did offer us an upgrade to an exec suite room for 60 ringgits (which on reflection we should have taken), but we didnt because we didnt expect the room to be as poor as it turned out to be. Bathroom door didnt close, plug socket near bed falling off, black hairs all over bathroom, lamps in room werent working and got bitten by a bed bug over night. Went down stairs to order food at poolside bar and our meals (chicken satay and lamb kebabs) were ad vertised as coming with rice but neither did, we were tired from our connecting flight so didnt bother to fight it. Overall our 2nd experience if the hotel was far in ferior from our first.

In summary - if you're staying in an exec suite then this is well worth it (and you'll have a flawless stay) but if you're in a regular room then dont bother. Im going to mark the hotel overall 8/10 but thats because of our exec room experience but the regular double room experience for us was really poor and next time i'd just go and stay at the shangri-la.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1217 in the east wing but room 1919 in the west wing is excellent
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SimonRoss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
hong kong
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed there for 6 days and the location was very good, the train is minute away and the twin towers are 10 mins away if you walk
Rooms are old but the amenities were very good I was their Marriott member and request a higher floor with a nice view but when I arrive they only have a low floor room with not very good view but the room was upgrad to a suite so I just take a look and found the room very nice and big with a sofa big study table and the toilet had both the shower and bath which I found very nice as we were with kids
And the offer me a late check out till 1400
But be aware that they don't have wifi in rooms only cable Internet is available and I didn't bring my laptop therefore complementary Internet was no use to me , you can bring your own modern if you want a wifi in your room
They got free wifi in the lobby and swimming pool but if you are using I phone you have to browse through safari first and accept the condition on use before you can use it as I don't know and can't use it on first day luckily a guest in the hotel tell me
The swimming pool can use the word perfect to described

• Stayed April 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed in the junior suite. It was extremely spacious and the room, both living and the bedroom were very clean. The master bathroom was huge and there was an additional toilet just the entrance for any guests. The location is very favourable for tourists. It is 5 mins walking from the twin towers and one can reach the KL menara by taxi within 5 mins as well. The se ice is exemplary and the hotel was very cheap compared to other 5 star establishments in other parts of the world. After a night out, it is easy to reach the hotel as it is very close to the city centre. The beds are really comfortable and the amenities provided were very good.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank abhishekdas1989
North East England
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed here last week in the West Wing short notice after we we missed all our connecting flights due to the Tsumani alert in Phuket. I cant praise them enough. Service was excellent, upon arrival nothing was too much trouble. The buffett and breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice. The hotel was close to Petronis Towers and the shopping area. The sky train station was a stones throw away which was used often to go to Bukit Bitang for shopping. I was in KL last year and stayed at the Traders Hotel which was more expensive and closer to Petronis, I felt the service there was not as good at here.Thanks Renaissance you made an unexpected quite stressful stay into a nice relaxing experience.

Room Tip: chose the west wing
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buxton2006
Sg
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The new lifestyle rooms are simply wonderful, truly living up to international Marriott standards. Location is ideal for nightlife and shopping, with klcc a stone's throw away! Will be back very soon, hopefully all the rooms will get a facelift very soon !

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank sharonsoon
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 16, 2012

first off- since it is a luxury group, you would expect more than what you got here.
Yes its comfortable but that's taken for granted with a chain.
The lobby (east wing specially) is crowded and almost like a train station with the number of people there.
West wing is a little better.
I thought the rates should have included breakfast. It is quite pricey a hotel for what it offers.
Location- great, you can walk to a few malls and shopping places.
Rooms- not so great. Not well maintained and the shower areas in all 3 rooms that i changed through the course of my stay leaked and were not the cleanest. (including a junior suite)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kittycat2011
Melbourne
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This was a return visit having stayed here in January. I use this hotel to break long haul flights and it is very reasonably priced as well as having all the amenities I need. I was upgraded to a suite which was well-equiped and wi-fi connection was excellent. Breakfast is quite ample with sufficient choices including smoked salmon, omelettes made to your specifications, fruit, pastries, french toast, yogurts and lots of other things. I always enjoy the very large swimming pool (can be overshadowed by tall buildings at times of the year but perfect in April.) Water was warm and inviting. The fitness centre is large and extremely well-equiped. They also run Les Mills classes and I enjoyed a pump class with one other participant prior to going back to airport. If you are into group exercise classes, check the timetable on arrival so that you might be lucky enough to have a class that suits you during your stay.

The bed was very comfortable and the room very quiet at night. I am an insomniac but had a full eight hours continuous sleep - something I haven't done in decades!

Staff is pleasant and it's a hotel I am happy to keep returning to because there are plenty of eating options and good recreation facilities. Also reception staff is very helpful and will cheerfully check you in early, and indeed give you a free late check-out if they can. I like the fact that they don't come across as greedy and trying to get the last dollar out of you like some other places do. They seem to genuinely want you to enjoy your stay. If anything has been overlooked in your room, they always respond quickly to remedy the situation. I always leave very refreshed for the next leg of my journey. If you are holidaying in KL, it's also convenient as the monorail station (Bukit Nanas is almost across the road and will take you to KL Sentral or two stops to Bukit Bintang where there are very good shopping plazas. I'm not a great shopper but it was extremely convenient to go and buy a new adapter for my computer without cutting too much into my short stay.

I was on my own this time but I think it's a good place for families.

Room Tip: Put requests into hotel for what you want - e.g. quiet, high up, low down etc. and they will definit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo