“The staff were more helpful than most, but the unfortnate thing is the night club below” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pondok Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kuala Lumpur
Pondok Lodge
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

I booked this hostel based on the Lonely Planet write up. I reserved a single room on the hotels website. Unfortunately after reserving the room I read the reviews and did not imagine that the hotel could be as bad as the reviews. When I arrived I was shocked as the building was above a shop and I was expecting more of a hotel as the website pictures make it look fine. Anyway, my room was dire. The room was tiny and two single uncomfortable beds. I did not sleep well my first night. The price 50 seemed to high so the next day I looked around for a better deal though in the area many of the guest houses wanted alot more money so I stayed another night. The shop downstairs turns into a nightclub in the evening and the floor thumped well into the early hours. Next day the owner/or staff member asked me if all was fine and he moved me to a quieter room. The staff were helpful and I stayed in total 4 nights. The second room was much nicer then the first and I was much more content. On the fourth night the music downstairs was so loud and I had a thumping headache. The staff said I could move to a quieter room though the quieter room was an empty dorm room and I really preferred to stay in my own single room. I checked out the next day and went to a bigger and better guest house that charged a cheaper rate. The positive is the location you can go out all day and see many things and as long as you don't care about your surroundings then this could be ok for you,

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

I was actually not looking forward to spending a night in KL as I am not really a big fan of cities. However I found that I really enjoyed it and despite reading some bad reviews also enjoyed my 1 night stay in Pondok Lodge. In fact I am now planning to return to the city and will stay there again. I found the staff friendly and helpful and the dorm room i shared with 1 other was nice enough as a place to sleep, for that price I was not expecting anything amazing. I had no bed bug encounters either. The other people staying seemed friendly and the rooftop garden was nice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
new york, ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

Based on the rate, location and the "our pick" recommendation by Lonely Planet, I booked a room at Pondok Lodge in KL. The location is very convenient, near the monorail, restaurants, bars and cafes. The cost of a windowed room is 55 RM. There are no rooms with private toilet. They are shared on every floor. The staff try to be accommodating but within their available means and resources. The included breakfast consisted of two pieces of toast, a slice of banana bread, butter and jam. The common areas are tired and filthy. The hallways are dark. The showers are clean but the toilets need upgrading. The most horrible experience I had was bed bugs. I checked in to room 19 and woke up the next day full of welts and small itchy red bed bug bites. I reported this situation to the gentleman at the desk. He resolved this by moving me to another room (Room 9) and was charged an additional 5 RM since it is a larger room. The new room is larger and is located in the front of the property, right above the bar on the street level. Needless to say, the noise level was unnerving. I had to wear ear plugs. The next day, I again awoke with the same welts and itchy red bed bug bites. The front desk clerk sprayed the room along with the inside and outside of my luggage. I could not stand it anymore so I checked out and relocated to the Alpha Genesis Hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank puccidimar

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

hertford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

The music from nightclub below is very loud even with earplugs in an after moving rooms still no sleep..

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank divecat
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2009

We had pre-booked a 3 night stay based on the Lonely Planet's review. Bad choice! We only stuck around for two of the nights - mostly because we were waiting for our laundry to be finished - that was actually reasonably priced.

But, they won't budge on price even for multi-night stays. Many other hostels we went to would be flexible especially if you stayed a few nights. So at 65 RM per night for the double room/shared bathroom was not worth it.

The room itself was large and the bed is just a mattress set on the raised section of the floor. Kind of interesting. The a/c in our room was so bad and it was really hot there.

Overall the place felt very dark and old. I did like the rooftop garden but we only went up there once maybe. The location is good, lots of restaurants and shops in the area. Not too far from transit - we ended up taking the airport shuttle bus and it dropped us off just down the street.

The breakfast was the same toast and tea/coffee as everywhere but you did get a yummy slice of banana bread with it!

We wandered around that part of town and found at least 5 or 6 other places that looked nicer for the same price or less though.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
melaka
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

love the place and the roof top garden was a great place to hang out...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

Having been travelling around for quite a bit, i can now safely say that the worst hostel i've been to is close to home (home being Singapore). Picked this because it's recommended in Lonely Planet but boy am i disappointed. The place is worn and tired out. Bass from the club next door that lasts till the wee hours of the morning, attendants were "busy" fulfuiling their own life (etc watching TV or catching a nap), main gate was never locked...and on top of that, bedbugs (got a few bites myself). Goodness knows how often they manage the place.

A horrid experience in all. The only thing about it that is worth staying is its location, right in the heart of KL and close to the main sights. But then again, there are other hostels in the same area which are probably more well managed than Pondok Lodge. Choose this place at your own peril, especially with the various options around.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo