“Good budget hotel”
Review of Sunway Putra Hotel

Sunway Putra Hotel
Ranked #31 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have just been there for 8 days B&B, and it was good.

The best thing about the hotel was its location near the subway station. The hotel front door is exactly side by side with the LRT (Kuala Lumpur railway station) so you can go literally anywhere very easy. Also by taxi (they are parked in front of the hotel, but they do not use meter only fixed prices which could be 2X what you pay by meter) it is about 10 minutes to almost everything central, for example: Bukit Bintag or KLCC. Additionally, there is a 7 Eleven about 500 meters from the hotel if you need to eat or drink at night.

Moreover, the staff were helpful, and cheerful.

As for the buffet it did not vary at all, and most of the breakfast was awful, only for the eggs. It's all down to your taste really, but if you liked fried, greasy, and raw food for breakfast then you will love it.

As for the rooms, the house keeping was daily, very good, and they changed everything daily. They provide two water bottles daily (just put them in the fridge so you put two more). The bed nor the cushions were comfy in my room, but my family said the apartment and the studio had comfy beds. The air-conditioner was average, some night it was so hot that I woke up so I think they might turned it off while I was sleeping. Also, the room has a safe which is very important in Kuala Lumpur.

I do recommend this hotel only if you do not stay in the room for a long time (which is the norm while on vacation).

Room Tip: I was on the 21st and I did not hear any noise from the construction. It was a good floor.
1  Thank Abdelrahman Z
SunwayPutra1112, General Manager at Sunway Putra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Abdelrahman Z, Thank you for staying with us. It appears my Kitchen Team fell short on providing you with a great experience at the Coffee House and for this I apologize. However, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Location:
Not close to the city center or any attraction. Very close to LRT though. However it brought another issue that you can hear the noise of the light rail train from the room

Room:
The room was big but shabby. All furniture and appliances were far too dated. The CRT TV seems came from last century. Paints were falling from walls and mirror frame. Same story happened in the bathroom. Toilet was old, taps were leaking and not fully functional, all tissue in the tissue box were wet, shower head was not adjustable. Another big issue was the air-con in the bedroom. It's soooo noisy that we had to turn it off before sleep. Luckily the air-con in the living room had a separate controller so we left it on to keep the room cool.

So don't get fooled by the official picture, your room would be far worse than that.

Oh, and the wi-fi, the signal in the room was so weak and unstable. If you want to do some serious work, better go to the lobby.

F&B:
The buffet brekki was average. Fresh fruit juice was good but other than that, not much highlight. Also, the restaurant didn't open for brekki until 6:30am. Given there's a one hour drive to the airport, you won't be able to have any brekki if you have an early flight to catch, like us.

Service:
Staff were nice and friendly. We were offered free upgrade from Superior room to 1 bd apartment. Although the room condition was not good as mentioned above, we did appreciate the effort.

Cleanliness:
The old carpet in the bedroom looks dirty, and there're also stains in the bathroom, even the bath tub. It might not be the house keeper's fault. Those old stains cannot be cleaned and the only way to remove them is to replace it completely.

Value:
The price was the main reason I chose this hotel. MRY258 per night include brekki for a 5* hotel, sounds very appealing. Well, it turns out if a 5* hotel charge a 3* price, it means that hotel only worth 3*, or even less. So there's no bargain, there's only "you get what you pay for".

Overall:
It might be a good 5* hotel 20 years ago, but now it needs some major renovation. Until then, avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Bruce I, Thank you for taking time to post your review of Sunway Putra Hotel. I regret we fell short of your expectations and extend my apologies for any inconvenience caused. However, this will only be a temporary measure as once the renovation is complete; we will be a great 5-Star Hotel. However, I’ve share some of your highlights with my Maintenance Manager whereby I believe we could improve on such as the air-cond and the plumbing issues. In the future if you require to catch an early flight, please do let us know, we can arrange some packed food for you.

Till then, looking to have the opportunity in welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed here with my wife and 4 year old sun. We booked the Crest room which was 30% discount at that time. When we check in around 1:30pm, the room was not ready and the receptionist took us to the Crest lounge for drink and waiting. We waited about 40 min there and they give us the room, which was very nice and but not the crest room, my boy was not happy because of no bath-tub to play. I asked for change room and went out for lunch when we return around 5 pm the room was ready. It was amazing and very very spacious with neat condition. The bathroom is very large and having big tub, and the room aircon is very good, and has good lobby which has nice view of KL towers.
The breakfast is very good with Indian varieties, (Vadai, Dosai, Parota etc).
We would like to stay here again in this crest room if we got the offer again. Recommended to all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
SunwayPutra1112, General Manager at Sunway Putra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Jeganarayanan, Thank you so much for your fantastic review of our hotel. I’m thrilled to read that you and your family had a wonderful time with us as we certainly do our best to provide the best services to our guests. My Chef and his team would be very happy to know that our guests enjoyed the Indian varieties.

Again, thank you for your support and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We enjoyed staying at this hotel with my family of four - my two teenage sons were in a connecting room. Very comfortable and extremely spacious with everything you need, and well maintained and appointed with comfy beds. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful, especially the concierges. Great breakfast first morning (Monday 3rd February- last day of very long weekend) but sadly was not as good the following days. But still ok! Be sure to get down there before 10:30, the buffet closes then. The construction noise that bothered other reviewers didn't bother us except for the one day we all stayed in our rooms, and then the noise was audible but not terribly overwhelming. We were on the 21st floor. We really appreciated the 50% discount as compensation! Close to remarkable KL public transport - right next door, in a trice you will be in the centre of town or other sights of interest. Unlike one of the other reviewers our in-room wi-fi was free so not sure what happened to that other gent. We dined one night in the Japanese restaurant - terrific view, terrific service and fabulous food. We would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the top levels during construction
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Scooterpooch, Thank you for taking time to post your wonderful review. It is great to hear that my colleagues assisted in making a better stay for you. And thanks again for your kind comments of which I will definitely share with my team. As for the wifi subject, we have room package whereby it includes complimentary wifi.

I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Hi......... I stayed in Sunway Putra for 1 night only. Hotel is really nice and comfortable. Swimming pool is good and location from pool is too good. You have many options for breakfast. Specially for Indians. They serve South Indian food, samosa and other dishes of India. Furniture is old but with good condition. Rooms are spacious and well maintained. Bathroom is good. The staff is friendly and helpful. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Viraj2012

Dear Viraj2012, Thank you for your kind review on Sunway Putra Hotel. I am very delighted to know that you have found much satisfaction with our breakfast and swimming pool. Also, I am glad that you are pleased with my team.

Till then, we hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Room 2302

It’s always rather sad when you see a grand old lady like Kuala Lumpur’s Sunway Putra Hotel fall from grace. Obviously an icon of good taste when it was built in 1993 with a snooty shopping mall to boot, this property is currently in the agonising and rather noisy throes of regaining its former glory. Rather than close it down completely the owners still welcome guests with incentives including a 50 per cent off meals at the coffee house and never ending happy hours at the Monkey Bar.  Guests also deserve a major cut in rates because this property is light years away from the five stars it claims. About a  20MYR cab ride from Sentral or 30 from the Twin Towers, the Sunway looks like a demolition site when you arrive. Our cabbie drove all he way round looking for a drop off point between the safety fencing. We finally found a porter, the bags were collected, and we headed for the ninth floor and reception. You have to be impressed by the vast foyer. The marble inlay work is beautiful along with the sweeping staircase with its hand made balustrade. We were pleasantly surprised – and now really looking forward to exploring our three bedroom apartment. Check-in was efficient, the lift fast and airconditioned, but that was where my initial enthusiasm waned. The rooms were more than adequate in size – but dog tired. Once gleaming timber tables were scratched and marked, the décor drab. You could clearly hear a train rumbling by – and we were on the 23rd floor  – and the aircon in the main bedroom made a hugely annoying noise like a blow torch. There were no international plugs and the ones sent up were so worn they would not make contact. The video player in the lounge by a flat TV  was not connected. Lighting everywhere was average to poor. Faciities included a mini kitchen with 2 old hot plates plus a microwave and fridge but no oven or dishwasher. The main bedroom had a badly lit desk with no extra plugs, a comfy armchair, coffee table and an old style TV. The king bed was fine and there was loads of wardrobe space, safe, iron and board plus a full length mirror – no stocked mini fridge however. The single basin bathroom was a good size with a shower in bath system. Pressure was excellent along with the supply of hot water. A second bathroom serviced both other bedrooms which were more than adequate as far as size and furnishings go. The aircon in one bedroom did not work and our toilet leaked – but both problems were promptly attended to. Towels were on the thin side – but adequate. The tiled lounge area was easily big enough for five people with 4 armchairs and a two seater. Again the room had a drab feel – and the dining and side tables were  marked with glass rings and scratches. Breakfast at the café on the 9th floor was excellent – a quite remarkable spread of local and international food that really would take some beating. Full marks also to the staff – from catering to the conceierge, everyone was caring and polite. We did take the hotel shuttle to the major shopping sites – the elderly van rattled loudly but made it both ways ok. Finally, wi-fi is free and the pool/gym area five star.

To conclude: A major property that time has unfortunately well and truly passed by. Until the rooms are fully renovated and double glazed windows fitted, I can’t recommend a stay here.

Ian McIntosh is Australia’s Senior Traveller.

Room Tip: Don't book a room on the side facing the railway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Ianmcintosh, I would like thank you for your feedback. Please do accept my sincere apologies for the unpleasantness that you have experienced with us. Rest assured that your highlights are well received. I do agree with you that the sight of our current property (The Mall) is pretty heartbreaking, however, it is to prepare us for a new experience once the mall is ready in 2015. Whilst the mall is undergoing renovation, our rooms are also going through renovation in stages. Upon completion, we will be a brand new product.

I sincerely hope that you will not let this experience deter you from coming to our hotel again. Please do drop me a note on the dates of your next visit directly to my email at ronhy@sunwayhotels.com as I would like to take care of your room arrangements personally.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 days. Average hotel amenities but what pissed me off was that there was no free wi-fi provided for the room. For a hotel to be so petty as to charge for wi-fi access when we have paid a small fortune for the rooms. My kids pestered for it but when I finally relented and went to the front counter, they told me wi-fi access can be purchased and charged by per hour or per day usage. I said OK. Then they told me the kicker. They charge not by per room but by per user! What the f...! I have total of 11 users and this is crazy!
If a small cheap hotel in Batam can offer this service FOC, I am perplexed as to why a big expensive hotel have to charge for this basic service. This hotel have just lost 11 returning customers.

• Stayed: December 2013
SunwayPutra1112, General Manager at Sunway Putra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Roadtripper10100, Thank you for your valuable feedback and support. I am sorry that you find our wifi charges a bit steep but it is a standard fee being charged amongst hotels in Malaysia. Well, we have to remain the internet charges for the time being. However, we shall definitely look into improving our standard of services and facilities to serve you better.

Till then, I sincerely hope this will not stop you from visiting us again