“Ouch! .....and Ouch!!”
Review of Sunway Putra Hotel

Sunway Putra Hotel
Ranked #32 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was in KL for a business trip and stayed at Sunway Putra since it was just across the road from the Putra World Trade Centre (PWTC). I made the reserbation via Booking.com and it was quite seamless as they were able to fulfil the additional requests I had i.e high floor and non-smoking room (be sure to ask for a non-smoking room if you have such a preference, else you will be assigned a smoking room, as I learnt last year). However, the check-in experience could have been better - staff needs to be trained to smile and welcome guests and to provide guests relevant information. I was just given the keys and that's it. I had to ask about the free Wifi, what time and where is breakfast, etc and was given reluctant replies.

When I went into the room, the floor tiles were cold!! But disposable slippers were not provided in the room...so I ended up tip-toeing around the non-carpeted floor areas. Ouch!

While I was looking forward to a good night's rest, the hard bed was very uncomfortable and I woke up with a very sore back. For 3 nights. Ouch!!

The hotel was offering 50% off on room service as the mall downstairs was undergoing renovations. The first in-room dinner I had was ok. But the second order I had the next night was quite bad.. The chicken chop was not fresh and oily, and the oil smelled like it has been recycled :(

Overall, not very good value for money.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a non-smoking room if you prefer one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
SunwayPutra1112, General Manager at Sunway Putra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear DoPod, Thank you for your review and support. I’m disappointed about the unpleasant experience you had with my Reception and Room Service. Rest assured I will bring these matters up personally to my Food & Beverage and Front Office Managers.

Please accept our sincere apologies and hope this episode have not marred your overall impression of our Hotel.

Ron Hasni Yusoff, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,652)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in Sunway Putra Hotel for business trips.

The third times i been here.

Friendly staff services,comfortable bedroom,and nice breakfast.

No free wifi provided.

Will be there next time again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
SunwayPutra1112, General Manager at Sunway Putra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear SPBW, Thank you for your review and support. I do hope we see you again soon at Sunway Putra Hotel.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I am still staying in the hotel booked from the 3rd Jul to 8th Jul 2013. I am writing this out of frustration.

From the check in, the experience is not too pleasing. Though the staff was courteous, she was not aware of the room request that I had made. I am aware that those request are on a available basis but if the front desk staff is not aware of such request, how could she even try to find me such a room. I had made my request when making my booking with www.booking.com and written to Sunway Putra Hotel Book Room <bookroomsph@sunwayhotels.com> to request for a non smoking room with a view of the Twin Towers on a higher floor with a large double size bed.

The wifi in the room was bad. i could not get a good connection and the line keep dropping and the connection speed goes down to as low as 1mbps. What is the purpose of providing such a service if it is so unreliable?

On the 2nd night, when we came back at night after a day out, we could not find any soap provided in the room. I had to call housekeeping. The night Assistant Manager Mr Abdul Rashid personally sent me 2 pieces.

My boy was shock to see cockroaches running happily around the room. This was certainly a frightening thought as there was a pantry in the room and we had bought some snacks and fruit and left them on the kitchen top.

On our 4th night, I noticed that the bed sheet had still not been change since we check in. I called up housekeeping and was told it was changed everyday. Anyhow, I greatly appreciated the night Assistance Manager Mr Abdul Rashid again when he showed up at our door and wanted to change the bedsheet for us. I showed him that I noticed the hole on the bed sheet since I checked in and the hole is still there every night till the fourth night. He personally change all the bedsheets.

If you want to stay somewhere near the PWTC, everything is better across the road at the Seri Pacific. You pay a bit more but with less frustration and a peaceful mind. You may find parking at the Seri Paicifc a little hazzle but I was not too please when I found my car covered with a layer of dust in the morning parking on the 8th floor hotel car park of Sunway Putra. This could be due to the ongoing renovation in the building and mall.

The room I have at the Sunway Putra (Rm 2201) is big but the furnishing, TV and carpet are dated. The bath tub is always flooded when you shower as the watre takes a looong time to flow away.

Hopefully, my last night will be a better experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frustrated_13_13

Dear Frustrated_13_13, Thank you again on your feedback. Having mentioned in my earlier letter to you, I must again apologize and sincerely hope that the unfortunate incident will not deter you from coming back to us. For your infor, we have already rectified the above mentioned matters accordingly.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

In general, I think I am a fairly easy guest for a hotel - mostly business travel so good sleep, amenities in room, gym and breakfast = content guest. You can also reference some of my other reviews to evaluate my objectivity.

I was thoroughly disappointed with the hotel and with all other options in KL, would absolutely not return. I found the staff was in general disinterested with the guest experience, the check in process was unpleasant and the check-out worse so.

I also believe that a hotel should be able to a) provide a seamless stay and b) if not seamless (as can be the case anywhere and happens) fix things promptly and in a way that makes it seem important to them. That's where once again the hotel fails miserably. I don't really mind that the room is somewhat clinical, but if I am going to be working there for the afternoon and evening, a working television would seem to be a simple expectation. Not the case here, as a call to the front desk of a broken set was responded to in 40 minutes - with the outcome that it can't be fixed and front desk would call later to arrange an agreeable solution. No call 30 minutes later necessitated a call to the front desk - at which point they suggested to send a technician to fix it. Clearly when that doesn't work the first time, the best suggestion is to do it again. When I explained that part, they informed me that (at 10:00 in the evening and an unpacked room) they would move me down the hall. I said I didn't want that and so the conclusion was I'd speak to the duty manager in the AM and they promptly hung up.

Suffice to say, at check out, my credit card was taken, charged, and no duty manager to be found (I didn't say anything to see what would happen). When it indeed looked like nothing would happen, I said don't charge my card yet as the duty manager was to speak with me first. Too late - please sign the slip.

I guess it was to be expected that with each previous poor interaction, this wouldn't be any different (fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...). I left without taking breakfast or spending another moment/dollar in the hotel.

Looking at the other reviews of negative experiences - I also detect the issue resolution approach and communication is disingenuous. If at all. I would not return.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel will be better
2  Thank Matyboom
SunwayPutra1112, General Manager at Sunway Putra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Matyboom, Thank you for your valuable time in sharing your review with us. We take every comment from our guests seriously. Having read your comments and with utmost concern, I must again extend my profound apology for the unpleasantness that you have experienced when staying with us. Needless to say, I am very distressed to learn that the services rendered by the Hotel are not up to expectation.

Meanwhile, we have taken note of your comments and please be assured that the Management has taken every steps / measurement to resolve and rectify the matters mentioned.

Once again, thank you for your invaluable feedback and I sincerely hope that you will not let this experience deter you from continuing to stay with us, as we are fully committed to ensure a comfortable and pleasant stay for our guests.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

the hotel needs an renno, which is happening. We were upgraded to to two bedroom apartment, which was spacious and clean.

Breakfast was mediocre, lots if choice but no real bacon, being a muslim country.

Access to the monorail and commuter train line was great, convenient and cheap.

The pool area although small was more than adequate and clean. service form the bar at the pool was extremely poor, ie there was none.

For what we paid and what we got we can not complain re the room and location, not in the centre of things but close enough and easy to get to it if you want.

Shopping mall under reconstruction while we were there there, and it looks like it will be for quite a while to come.
we would recommend this hotel depending on the price you get at booking. There can be very good prices for advance bookings.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
SunwayPutra1112, General Manager at Sunway Putra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear GarryBendigo, Thank you for your review and support. Do allow us to offer our sincere apology as being a ‘Halal, Restaurant, we are unable to serve bacon. As for the pool bar, it’s a standard procedure whereby you could place your order with our pool boys. Apart from that, I do hope you had a wonderful time with us.

Till then, I sincerely hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We booked an accommodation for four people and we were upgraded to suite room on 23rd floor. The room was really huge and contained two bedrooms, a lobby, three bathrooms and a kitchen. Outside view from the room was beautiful and gave a direct view of the twin towers. The breakfast was equally good, however vegetarian options were limited. The overall ambiance of the hotel was majestic. The staff at the concierge was extremely helpful in planning our city tour. With the hep we could manage to plan our trip to PutraJaya in a very short time on our way to the airport. The metro station is next to the hotel from where you can easily go to any part of the city.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view to the city and the twin towers can be asked.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Deepakag14, Thank you for your wonderful review of Sunway Putra Hotel! I will definitely share your highlights with my colleagues, especially Concierge Team.

Till then I sincerely hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

very nice hotel with good rates ... we enjoyed our stay in sunway putra. morning breakfast is so many different things veg, non veg, fruits n juices etc. we enjoyed our our 2Nits stay in Sunways putra. room location is good. open the window and u can see of kulalampur beautiful city view. we would like to go sunwayputra mall but unfortunately during our stay was in renovating process.. we had face only one problem. ISD call rates is to high.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Suthar_13, thank you for your support and feedback. I am very delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel so much.

Look forward to welcoming you again soon.