“Value for money - excellent location!!!”
Review of Hotel Nova

Hotel Nova
Ranked #245 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised after reading so many adverse reports about this establishment. Stayed 7 nights at this hotel in room 200 - huge bed which could have easily slept 3 adults. Room/bathroom/toilet clean, towels changed everyday. Aircon worked well - fridge ok. Breakfast good. Found the location to be VERY safe at any time of the day or night. Staff very helpful - Thank you Doris !!! I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Room 200 great view of Jalan Apor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jenn0

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I booked a superior room for 3 days and I regretted my decisions. I stepped into room 1001 and nearly puked at the sight of the toilet bowl. It was obviously not cleaned at all. Stained toilet bowls and sink was unable to switch off. Towels provided were so pathetic, torn and stained. No door mat as well. I could not sleep that night as it was too noisy. Doors are constantly banged all the time. The next morning, I requested for another room but the receptionist told me that there wasn't any available at the moment. I then requested for a deluxe room and made an extra payment instantly but to my dismay this other room was no better than the one I stayed the night before. The receptionist was not helpful at all. He sounded sceptical when told that the previous room was filthy. The deluxe room I checked into later was also dirty. It was room 305. Aircon leaked and was horribly noisy at night. I strongly do not recommend this hotel. I will NEVER stay here ever..

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank Roza92
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for five nights, standard room.

The location is ok, about a 10 minute walk up the hill to the shopping malls close by. (You don't want to continue walking down the hill past the hotel at night time... the area is poorly lit and was unsafe.)

The positives? The staff were responsive and the price seemed ok when booking. There is a (limited) selection of cable television channels in english (can't be out every night!). The rooms were large and the air conditioning worked well (but was far from silent).

The negatives... unfortunately just a few too many. The breakfast was dire, barely edible. You could make your own toast which is probanly the best option if you really need something to eat. The coffee was undrinkable. The restaurant was always crowded and finding a place to sit was difficult. Breakfast vouchers are issued in a daily basis... so you need to approach the front desk each morning.

The internet was slow and worked intermittently. Trying to establish a connection was hard, and large periods of the day were without signal.

The room came with tea and coffee making facilities, but on arrival there was no tea and coffee (this was provided from day two onwards). Stamdard rooms have no fridge, a premium room (about $10 more per night) comes with a fridge.

Towels are threadbare, and as others have mentioned, sometimes basics such as a bath mat are not supplied at all or not replaced.

Hot water was non existent. Each shower has an individual water heater, but in my room the water flow was set too high to make the water anything but warm. This could not be adjusted in my room (other rooms might have been different). One small soap is provided, along with one small bottle of shower gel. There is only cold water for the tap at the hand basin (could make shaving difficult).

While outside noise was not noticeable in the rooms, internal noise from other guests was an occasional problem.

Room cleaning was a bit of a lottery and one day they forgot entirely. The staff seemed rushed, with only a few minutes allocated to clean each room (lots of dust went untouched under tables and chairs).

The hotel's slogan is 'luxury you can afford' and I think in its heyday the hotel would have been quite nice. These days however it is only just being held together and is in a fairly seedy area. Other than a night or two if you are on a tight budget, i would not recommend this hotel, with much better value for a few dollars more available elsewhere.

On departure ask the lady at the tour desk to arrange a taxi for the airport or central station. Central station is a fixed price (myr20) and while this is probably higher than the meter price, it provides some peace of mind that you're not going to get cheated too badly!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank WGee
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The location is perfect. The hotel is located at the very end of Jalan Alor, also known as "Food Street," where local restaurateurs set up tables and chairs in the street form 6:00 PM and KL's culinary delights are on offer at very reasonable prices. It's also a short walk to either Imbi or Bukit Bintang Monorail stations. Reception staff was none too friendly, but my room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. Breakfast was reasonable at the price, and in-room wifi was good. A good budget option in KL.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street (Jalan Alor) as the construction of the new subway (MRT) line not far...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Worst hotel I have almost stayed at.. During our check in, the attending staff member attempted to check my fiance and I into a 2 x single bed configuration room type, after a lengthy argument regarding the morals and ethics of us sleeping in a double bed together, out of wedlock despite a partneship of 5+ years we proceeded to our room.

The following proceedings occurred, and my opinion is based on the assumption that we had ticked the check in staff member off, therefore this is where she would put us.

Our room was located at the very end of a somewhat dark hallway, the room had not been serviced from the guests before us, however the bed was still made ( I guess it could have been used throughout the day, after the housecleaning staff had visited the room). When I say the room had not been serviced I mean, dirty towels on the floor, urine in the toilet, dirty floor.

Rather than stay the night I backtracked my footsteps to reception bags in hand. Asked to speak to a manager, to be told there was no manager and if I had an issue I would need to return in the morning.

Dumbstruck by the previous events, my fiance and I walked to The Swiss Garden Hotel, fortunately for us, they still had vacancies. I was prepared to sleep on the footpath.

After my return in the morning and a lengthy disorganised meeting with the manager, I was told that I was not entitled to a refund, after threatening to take it to the relevant tribunals in Malaysia I left. Fortunately for them I had a refund in my bank account on my return.

Room Tip: Run away!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Ashley E
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place and service is so bad that you would be better out on the street on a park bench!
DO NOT COME HERE. Things go wrong here so many times there is too many to mention. Toilets blocked constantly (maintenance apparently tried 3 times to fix), tap doesn't switch off. Aircon drips (onto your suitcase), room has stains on its bedding. Today there was no manager and basically no one in charge to fix problems. I don't even know how this hotel stays open,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank 2greendollars
Reviewed August 1, 2013

it was a convenient spot for a stopover.

Clean, quiet, good service, great location, free wifi everywhere. They helped us with taxis etc.
The family room was EXCELLENT value.

was old and tired when we visited, And the lobby and hallways smelled stale.

but still very, very comfortable.

only complaint is that they would not give us an extra towel. We weren't going to take it away with us! that quite annoyed us.

Thhis is great as a stopover hotel. if there was a pool, we would stay again.

Room Tip: i think that the family room was not advertised on the web site, remember to ask for is specifically...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family