“Very pleasant stay in excellent location”

Ranked #87 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I've just come back for my 5 day stay and I thoroughly enjoyed my time in KL. I stayed in one of the "Executive Deluxe" rooms on the newly renovated 19th floor. This hotel has one of the best location, right across Sungei Wang and next to Lot 10. It's a couple of minutes walk to either the Pavilion or Berjaya Times Square. I must mention one of the managers and/or supervisors named "Rayner" he was a lovely man who was kind enought to let me have a late check out as my flight didn't leave until midnight to Perth. The only set back I could think of (and it's quite an important one to mention) is the shower drain. While my room was newly renovated and it was quite a nice room - the shower just keeps flooding. You're only in there for a couple of minutes and I could see that the water isn't going down fast enough and you could end up with water up to your ankles if you don't turn off the shower quick enough - I just hope maintenance do something asap before anymore complaints come about it. That's pretty much the only gripe I have it's the best as far as LOCATION is concerned and I've stayed in Hotel Capitol, Dorsett Regency and Hotel Istana (twice). I definitely recommend this hotel if being close to everything is your priority. It's not as big as Hotel Istana and is quite intimate in its size.

Room Tip: If you want a good quiet sleep choose a room at the back of the hotel cause the front faces a pub (w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jennifer T
HotelRoyalKL, E-Commerce Executive at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your recent patronage of Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur!

We write to let you know that we greatly appreciate your comments on the hotel’s location, facilities and service level.

With regard to the bathroom’s issue, please accept our profound apology. Our Maintenance Department has been informed and they have taken measures to ensure that all drains function properly.

In addition to our gratitude, your positive comments will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher and impeccable standard.

Should you have any future plans to travel back to Kuala Lumpur, we will be delighted to be of service to you once again.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I work in the travel industry responsible for managing the travel/hotel procurement requirements for a multi billion company, so feel quite competent in providing an accurate assessment of this property. As part of my job in the past 3 years I have personally stayed in over 100 properties and conducted at least 100 additional hotel site inspections. Without doubt this property is the worst property I have ever stayed at and without hesitation not worthy of the 3 1/2 star ranking.

Issues as follows:

1. The decor is at least 30 years old, and clearly has not been updated since the hotel was opened - it was like stepping back in time.
2. The bathroom fittings were of the quality of a government institution. Not quite at the level of a prison cell, I would say more like an army barracks.
3.. A pervasive and strange odour throughout the property. The only way I can describe it is as a combination of stale cigarettes and alcohol.
4. No hot water. I finally figured out if I turned the shower on and left it for 10 minutes, hot water would eventually come.
5. The elevators need to be updated very quickly. Every time I used them and selected my floor, the elevator always stopped on the unselected 13th floor before continuing to my selected floor. The elevators didn't work or I was stuck in them on 3 separate occasions. This was very unsettling and perhaps the single most important reason why I would not recommend this property. Safety concerns is always the most important factor in my professional evaluation of a hotel.

I would rate this hotel at a very generous 2 stars. One star purely for location (good one in Bukit Bintang) , and the second star for the staff who were very friendly. However I would look elsewhere for a more enjoyable and comfortable stay in Kuala Lumpur.

Room Tip: Stay at any other hotel in Kuala Lumpur
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank David H
HotelRoyalKL, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

14 September 2013

Dear David H

YOUR STAY AT HOTEL ROYAL KUALA LUMPUR

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur during your recent trip to the city!
As much as we value your patronage, we appreciate your observation and concern, both on our facilities as well as service level. We have taken note of your views and we seriously look into the matter and moving forward, take corrective steps to put things in order and better perspective.

For your information, the hotel is currently undergoing a full-scale renovation involving all areas. However, the renovation is being done in stages and the expected completion will be end of 2013 or by the first quarter of 2014. Our executive deluxe rooms located on the top 2 floors, level 19 and level 20 , have just been completed and we are about to complete two other floors soon. Simultaneously we are also upgrading our function rooms on level 1 and level 2 and all other areas including our coffeehouse, the main lobby with the lobby lounge will also follow suit. All the 4 guest lifts servicing the hotel are in the process of being changed – in fact one of them has been upgraded.

The hotel, formerly The Coronade Hotel Kuala Lumpur, was rebranded to Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur just over a year ago when the property was bought over by reputable hotel based company. Admittedly the 17-year old building needed extensive renovation but it was decided that we remain open for business while the renovation takes place. When completed, Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur will be a modern four-star city hotel offering the best central location to both business and leisure travellers.

Should you have any future plans to return to Kuala Lumpur, we will be delighted to be of better service to you then.

HOTEL ROYAL KUALA LUMPUR

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is sandwiched between park royal bukit bintang and lot 10. A shoppers paradise because the hotel is just 5-10 minutes to shopping malls in bukit bintang area. Check-in was fast and welcome drink provided at the lobby.
My twin bedroom is always clean and neat. The bed and pillow are comfortable. The hotel is currently upgrading their rooms.
Breakfast was good and abundance to choose.
Highly recommend this hotel for those who want to stay in bukit bintang

• Stayed: July 2013
HotelRoyalKL, E-Commerce Executive at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Reezal

Thank you for your recent patronage of Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur!

We write to let you know that we greatly appreciate your positive comments on the hotel’s location, facilities and service level. In addition to our gratitude, your comments will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher and impeccable standard.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

As the hotel was undergoing renovation cannot comment much about how it looks, but the staff were very friendly & helpful, specially the front office, if I remember right his name is Gilburt & he treated us as if we had known him for ever, even the pretty ladies were very helpful.
The Breakfast buffet was excellent, & the location ideal for shopping etc.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DilrukshiH
HotelRoyalKL, E-Commerce Executive at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear DilrukshiH,

Thank you for your recent patronage of Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur!

We write to let you know that we greatly appreciate your positive comments on the hotel’s location, facilities, service level. In addition to our gratitude, your comments will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher and impeccable standard. Your appreciation of our receptionist has also been noted and passed on to enhance the staff’s motivational level.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The hotel was great but really need a renovation. We stayed in deluxe room. The room was a bit smelly while we 1st entered the room, some of the furniture broken, dirty carpet and found a cockroach. The bed is comfortable. Large window with city view. The toilet is a bit dim and the shower place is quite dark. As it's a smoking room, it's great if we able to have a small window which can open and let the air ventilation. The safety box may need to change to new one as the wording faded and the button not easy to press. Location wise is great, close to major shopping center, food court, monorail.

Room Tip: There's a 24hr Self Service Laundry Shop nearby, it's cheap & convenience.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRoyalKL, E-Commerce Executive at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear ATTLWSE,

YOUR STAY AT HOTEL ROYAL KUALA LUMPUR

As much as we value your patronage, we appreciate your observation and concern, be it on our facilities or service level. We have taken note of your views and we will seriously look into the matter and moving forward, take corrective steps to put things in order and better perspective.

Please accept our sincere apology and subsequently here are our comments for your attention:

• Currently Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur is undergoing renovation involving all rooms and other facilities. However the project is being carried out in a few phases, scheduled to be completed by end of 2013 or early 2014. Currently we have renovated all the Executive Deluxe Rooms located on 19th and 20th Floor as well as a few floors of Deluxe Rooms.

• We apologize for the unpleasant experience you encountered in your room. Our Housekeeping Department has been informed to ensure all rooms are clean before guests check in.

Finally, should you be making any future plan to visit Kuala Lumpur again, please let us know as we would like an opportunity to welcome you back and serve you better.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've stayed 2 nights in this hotel. What I like most about this hotel is the locatuon - easy access to monorail, lot 10, pavillion and klcc. Generally, hotel service is good. However, I must comment on the housekeeping - poor service. When I cameback in the evening my room was not properly clean. When I came back I see the floor was still dirty and the toilet as well. It seems the staff just clean the beedsheets, provide new towels and two mineral water. The hotel must do something about this.

• Stayed: July 2013
HotelRoyalKL, E-Commerce Executive at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Farrahfmairon,

Thank you for your recent patronage of Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur!

Regarding the disappointment with your room cleanliness, we offer you our most sincere apology. We have alerted and advised our Housekeeping Department to at all times ensure that rooms are properly cleaned.

On the other hand we are grateful with your comment that in general, our service level was good. This comment will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher standard.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed in Kuala Lumpur for three days. My expectations were not high after booking this hotel . I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. As soon as myself and friend got out of the taxi a staff member offered to carry our bags. The staff at the front desk were lovely and we checked in quickly. The room was very modern and just what we wanted. The view from the room was stunning (a view of the city and the petronas towers.) we both had good nights sleep in this hotel. Rooms were clean and the toiletries in the bathroom were changed every day. We had breakfast included which was nice. Good selection. The only downside we had was we were never able to get hot water from the shower, whatever time of day. This hotel is in a good location with easy access to anywhere in Kuala Lumpur. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
HotelRoyalKL, E-Commerce Executive at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Carly H,

Thank you for your recent patronage of Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur!

We write to let you know that we greatly appreciate your positive comments on the hotel’s location, facilities and service level. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our Newly Renovated room and the breakfast served at the Makan – Makan Coffee House. As for the hot water for shower, we have spoken to Maintenance Department and they have also taken note on that matter. In addition to our gratitude, your comments will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher and impeccable standard. Your appreciation of our associates have also been noted and passed on to enhance their motivational level.