“Reasonable price with great location and services”

Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #231 of 350 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The budget hotel pay with great location, services and cleanliness consider very reasonable. Train station just few steps ahead. Value every dollar spend. With budget hotel level, they offer beyond. I will come back when next visit.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank yaw1943
AgoraHotel, Manager at Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is always good to get positive feedback from our Guest.

Agora Hotel prides itself in its strategic location at affordable price with great customer service. We sincerely hope that you will be able to come back to stay with us again to see the improvement we will be implementing.

Once again, Thank You for staying with us.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I am very accustomed to staying in hostels, home-stays, AirBnB situations, budget hotels, places without electricity and running water in remote locations, etc. I'm a very flexible budget traveler. In a city situation, all I ask is basic cleanliness, functionality, and safety.

Given the reviews I thought this place would fit that bill perfectly. Just a spartan room in a good location. Perfect. But not.

The road in front of the hotel is under major construction with a huge crane and other heavy machinery in place and operating. NOISE. Even worse than that, however, is the all the barriers that have been erected to funnel pedestrians and traffic around the construction. It creates a perfect mugging location at night. HIdden, darkened,confusing.

But ok, can the hotel help that?

The real problem is the room: infested with ants in the bathroom. DIRTY. no one has run a rag across the counter in a good long time. And its a cracked, old, syntheticy counter riven with dirty crackles. And ants. I used the toilet--it didn't flush. There was one dim ceiling bulb and the room was dismal, loud with construction noise, and vaguely musty. NO tub, no shower stall. Just a handheld shower next to the toilet with a drain. This is what I have in my home in Indonesia so that is not necessarily a deal breaker but the showerhead was rusty and dripping and the floor not pretty. And as I said it's next to the toilet that doesn't flush and the sink with ants crawling all over it. Its a Tiny (4x4 foot) bathroom so no room to maneouver or avoid the ick.

So I asked to switch rooms. I couldn't get the door to open with the new key. The person at the desk helped me out and showed me the "trick" to turning it right. It was a loosely fitting door handle, a strange key that looks like a giant metal dogtag, and the bolt lock on the inside of the door could have been broken into by my grandma. Dark, icky hallways throughout the floor. I actually felt unsafe as a woman traveling along.

As for functionality, The new room was much better. I think this is the sort of thing the better reviews were talking about. It was reasonably clean.I think it had an actual shower stall (no tub). But it overlooked the roof with 6 large industrial AC outlets pumping out noise even louder than the construction in the other location.
I tried to use wifi. Didn't work.

At this point I was fed up. All I need is clean, safe, functional. I wasn't getting that. I was feeling very unsafe, and even the cleaner better room was not functional since it was so loud. I didn't have time to even check out the bathroom to compare notes re whether the toilet flushed and there were ants.

I finally left and paid $125 at a hotel across the street, since I only was staying the weekend and didn't have time to comparison shop.

The positive: Excellent location in Bukit Bintang. Also the staff at the desk were friendly, helped me when I had trouble, and didn't try to guilt me into staying. They paid my "incidentals" deposit back although of course I lost the actual cost of the room which was prepaid online.

Room Tip: I only saw single rooms on the 2nd floor (Room one was #201 which was hideous. DO NOT LET THEM GIVE...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Rebecca J
AgoraHotel, Manager at Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Agora Hotel. It is our honor to have served you.

Your comment has certainly help us to spot on the area where we have fall short on. We have already taken immediate action to rectify the problems. The door knobs has already been changed to an advanced card slotting mechanism, to give a better security to our guests. The bathroom has already been refurbished with new tiles and painting.

We will continue to enhance our maintenance and housekeeping standard to provide an even better, conducive environment for our guests.

Once again, thanks for the comments and we hope that you will be able to come back to stay with us one day and see the changes that you have recommended. Many thanks.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel is perfect because of its location. It's very near to bukit bintang monorail, malls, food stalls, the famous Jalan Alor and etc. Just that there was a construction which is quite noisy HOWEVER you can request for quiet room which is not the front side. The staffs are very friendly and helpful too. I highly recommend this hotel to those who's in a tight budget and also to the shopaholics.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
AgoraHotel, Manager at Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed the location and the customer service of our Hotel.

We apologise for the noise caused by the external construction. We are aware of the MRT construction that is causing a lot of problems to our guest, however, we are unable to change anything despite several discussion with the authority. Fortunately, it has been publicly announced that the work will be finished and moved to another side of the road by November, 2013. We believe that this will bring back excellent sleep quality for our Guests.

We hope that we will be able to serve you in the near future! and once again, Thank you for choosing Agora Hotel.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel has just been refurnished, so it looks ok. We booked a triple deluxe room which was very spacious. The room was clean enough but the bathroom condition was quite bad. Dirty and running down condition.

Other than that, the hotel is perfectly located. It is just an opposite walk to the monorail station. Less than 5 min walking to Jalan Alor, a very famous, delicious and crowded food street. Surrounded by a few big shopping malls also within walking distances, really convenient. Close to the hotel is Mc Donald, Starbucks, Burger King, Subway.

I would suggest doing money exchange in some shops around the hotel i/o at the hotel cos the forex rate at the hotel is not favorable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
AgoraHotel, Manager at Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Agora Hotel. Nothing warms us more than the praise you give us. We will continue to do our best in serving you better, and always will.

Agora Hotel prides itself in its strategic location at affordable price with great customer service. We are also strict on the housekeeping standard so that our Guests are able to enjoy the cleanliness and the comfort of our spacious rooms.

We apologize for the run down condition of our bathroom, However, we would also like to take this opportunity to inform you that our bathrooms are going through a make over now! And all will be clean and new soon!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The location of this hotel its really good, Very near to monorail Bukit bintang and walking distance to all mall in bukit bintang. But the hotel is old fashion hotel, the toilet is old and very noisy at night especially on saturday night, human traffic anywhere. The staffs are friendly and helpful. No free drink in the room. The bathtube in quard room is dirty and the toilet is not good design so will be wet from first time you used it. Right now, there is reconstruction infront of the hotel, and its really inconvenient

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gunawanmipa
AgoraHotel, Manager at Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

We noticed that our interior design and cleanliness may have fall short of your expectation and for that, we are truly sorry. We will continue to do our best in improving our housekeeping standard and also, to beautify our interior design. In fact, the management team is considering plenty of options to decorate our Hotel. We would like to invite you to stay with us again to see the change.

Also, we are aware of the MRT construction that is causing a lot of problems to our guest, however, we are unable to change anything despite several discussion with the authority. Fortunately, it has been publicly announced that the work will be finished and moved to another side of the road by November, 2013. We believe that this will bring back excellent sleep quality for our Guests.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My stay at Agora was superb!

The room is really clean and it was not like any other budget hotels that I have visited.
However room size is kind of subjective, but it was comfortable for me.

Furthermore the hotel is located at a place where I felt was very convenient. I could get my late night supper with minimal effort :)

I would recommend this place for people who are on a budget and prefer convenience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
AgoraHotel, Manager at Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Plenty of works are undergoing now to make our Guests' stay an even better experience. We would like to invite you to come back to stay with us again in the near future to see the new facilities that we have installed for you!

Thank you once again for choosing Agora hotel!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

this hotel is located at the very starategic area, within 5 minutes walking distance:
1. can reach at least 5 shopping centers
2. can reach a cross-linked monorail
3. can reach international and local cuisine
room is newly renovated and clean, if anyone would like to stay in kuala lumpur, this budget hotel is highestly recommended...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
AgoraHotel, Manager at Agora Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to know that you have enjoy the location of our Hotel.

Agora Hotel prides itself in its strategic location at affordable price with great customer service. Our rooms are also much more spacious and perfect for family trip. Solo or couple travelers will enjoy just as much in our Single and Double rooms.

Thank you once again for choosing Agora Hotel, we hope to be able to serve you in the near future!