“Very Unpleasant Experience at Hotel Royale Bintang KL”

Royale Chulan Bukit Bintang
Ranked #238 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This is to warn other unsuspecting travelers like me. When I booked this hotel, I paid for a Deluxe Club Room of about Rm500/nite. After checking in (note there is no special check in like most other hotels with ClubRoom), we were given the smallest size room (This is one of the two smallest room in that floor). After complaining, we were given another room that is only slightly bigger. This is our first unpleasant experience.

Later, we found out what is the meaning of RoyaleBintang's meaning of Club Room facilities....there is no cocktail hours like 6 to 8pm where liquor and carnapes are served. We unpleasantly found a self entrance door where you touch your room card to gain access. No body is inside that small tiny area. Inside, we only find tea & coffee with a miserable small plate of one type of tiny nonya cake....probably left for hours and hours. In the few times I visited this tiny place, I have never seen another hotel quest. And....that tiny plate of nonya cake seemed untouched after a few visits.

I was wondering if this is a 4 star hotel?

After discovering there is no newspaper outside my door in the morning, I called to ask for the newspaper. After 1 1/4 hr, that newspaper did not come. It was a few minutes later after the 2nd call that the newspaper arrived. This is not what I would expect of a 4star hotel. Quess what, I have to ask for a newspaper again the next morning.

Other than the unpleasant experiences, the location is good, but there are so many other better hotels in the better vicinity to shopping areas. The breakfast is acceptable, but again in one instance, I had to ask and ask again before the staff did a refill in one of the food station. It was not late morning yet at that time and refills were not forthcoming.

Overall, please don't ever get short-changed like me, paying more for a Club Room where there is "none"!!!! and got a miserable room....

Go for others nearby and get better value for your money!!!

Room Tip: I would never stay at Royale Bintang KL again....
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank CarefulCareful

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Its just what you would call a very 'matter of fact' hotel, nothing personalized. We changed like 4 rooms until we got a room of our choice, they did upgrade us because the air-conditioning in the other rooms was very poor. The manager was very supportive although I felt that the hotel could do with a little more on the amenities. The breakfast is poor you would rather take a miss and eat elsewhere. Otherwise I would say the hotel is in a very safe and at a good location for a first time Kuala Lumpur visitor. Pricing is fine, I would not mind staying there again if I get a good room rate. .

Room Tip: The club floor is good, rest do not bother.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night before heading off to Genting. The hotel lobby is very nice, clean and the the concierge staff are very friendly.

After seeing some bad reviews of the Royale Bintang, I was a nicely surprised when it was a nice stay.

Our check-in was swift and our luggage brought up very quickly.

The hallway on our floor was a bit old and had peeling wallpaper and definitely needs a good clean up. But really, am i sleeping in a hallway? The main thing was that our room was clean, we had good clean water and the bed was comfy. The aircon worked well (thankfully as it was hot and muggy outside).

We had a strange amount of ants (tiny little ones) all over our desk which was quite strange. They were also in the bathroom sink too. After killing them, they didn't come back which was good.

The view from the room was nice and for the price of our room for 1 night.

The hotel is very close to the large shopping complex's nearby and there is tonnes of money exchange outlets downstairs. There is a bit of hassling downstairs with the shops and restaurants, but if you just ignore them, they'll go away.

All in all it was a good overnight stay.

Room Tip: We did some research to find deals for this place. But always good to ask them for a room with a vie...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our Hand Bag got stolen from the HOTEL LOBBY (waiting for the room to get ready), The CCTV captured everything with the camera place right above the Sofa we were sitting...I asked the security to take me to the SECURITY ROOM with the manager and we all saw how it happened.
THE MANAGER was rude to tell us that it is not his responsibility or mistake, I was given a internal form to fill, nothing was reported to POLICE, no Effort made to even report the incident & I was told that I had to go to POLICE STATION MYSELF TO REPORT THE INCIDENT.... I DON'T KNOW BUT THIS HOTEL is poorest form of service and security on display.... I REGRET I CANNOT WRITE ANYTHING better, ROOM WERE BIG ,, BUT OLD with shaky tables and old Bathroom fixtures....BREAKFAST was JUST Average,, we never ate dinner at the hotel.....

Room Tip: I cannot recommend this HOTEL, I visit MY for Business more than 4 times a YEAR and always stay at E...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank fahadahsan
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Five years ago i relented and took a flight to kl didn,t know what expect so went along with some relatives recommendations the hotel we went to was the royale bintang hotel in kl and was happy with what we found for a first visit it had all the things i expected.
It is close to some very good shops close to china town the mono rail is a short walk behind the hotel at the times square shopping center where you could spend a day quite easily
There is a tour operator that works from the bintang he goes by VJ he showed us some great sights around kl
In total we have stayed at the bintang three times its not the best hotel but by far not the worst..

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the front of the hotell First visit was five years ago
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Spend 3 nights with family(2/2) in the family room, reasonable size but small compare to others in Mys for the price RM 478 per night (inc. breakfast). MRT Construction is definitely reduce the attraction to stay here. The hotel is tire and really need a face lift.
We came in on early flight (6.15 am) and the kids were tired, I requested with the check-in clerk (trainee) to get a half-day room while waiting for our booked room to be available so that the kids can continue to sleep. The check-in trainee said that they do not have this policy. I asked when can we check in, she said at least 11am, unfortunately, after the shift changed , she left her post without telling the next person. We were left alone for a long time until my wife saw a lot new guests were being checked in around 9.30am. She went to check and found out that the new shift did not know that we were waiting.

Apart from this, the service was great and the staff were very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank sklim88
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Value for money budget hotel in Bukit Bintang. Average size rooms. Nice pool area and very central to heaps of shopping centers. 6 minutes walk to monorail. 20 minute walk to Chinatown and Petaling Street

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple