“Comfortable stay but inefficient counter staff”

Royale Chulan Bukit Bintang
Ranked #241 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked a Superior room but was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a Deluxe room. We had been to KL many times and Royale Bintang has always been one of our choice hotels mainly for the following reasons:
(1) we drive & so it is very important that the hotel provides secured basement parking (and not roadside parking). The basement carpark of this hotel has ample lots and we always feel secured knowing that there is a security guard & exit is via showing the entrance ticket;
(2) the room rate, though not that cheap, is considered reasonable considering its location;
(3) it is within walking distance to all the major shopping malls in Bukit Bintang such as Lot10, Pavillion, Sungei Wang, Berjaya Square. There are cheap and good roadside hawkers and restaurants along Jalan Alor and Jalan Tong Shin

Deluxe room is quite spacious with a couch and a king-size bed & LCD TV. It comes with free Wi-Fi although we had problem connecting to the network. Room and toilet are clean. Free coffee/tea making facilities.

What we feel the hotel needs to improve is the efficiency level of its counter staff. We arrived at the hotel just past 12pm and was told the room was not ready. We were told to return around 3pm. We went for our lunch and a little shopping and returned around 4pm. At that time, there were probably around 6-8 hotel guests (including me) waiting to be served, with 3 counter staff behind the counter. I had to wait for close to 20 mins before I was served and given the room. At that point in time, the number of guests had swelled to around 15-17 and the number of counter staff was 6. Apparently some hotel guests were not very pleased with the wait with 1 guest raising his voice.

Anyway, minus the slow and inefficient service, we will definitely still consider to stay at Royale Bintang for its good location, comfortable/clean room and secured parking.

We booked the room through Expedia (without breakfast) and hence we couldn't comment on the breakfast

Room Tip: Book the Deluxe room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Royale Chulan Bukit Bintang

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I checked into this hotel with my wife and my two sons and daughter and their spouses just last week . We spent 2 nights there. On the second day, while we were out shopping, the housekeepers entered our rm even though we had put 'Do not Disturb' sign at the door. They also took away the the other key card which I had left at the card holder beside the door in the room. I called the receptionist to complain, the manager apologised and said he will look into the matter and get back to me in 10 to 15 mins but he did not and when I called back, the receptionist said he could not be located. After more than half and hour later, the manager came up to the room to apologised and said he will de-activate the card and give us a new card. . This is a very serious issue cos if I had not realised that the card was missing, anyone could enter our room especially at night, if we forget to bolt the door. Anything can happen.
Leaving one set of card in the hotel room has always been my practise so as to keep the room cold but this type of incident is the first ever happened.

We will not definitely not come back to this hotel anymore. They take too long to do the check- in and check-out. And breakfast was terrible. I wonder how many tons of MSG they put in their food. The porridge was so watery, can hardly see the rice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mahfuz M
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I Attended a seminar there at 1st or 2nd floor ballroom.
As there is crowded in front of the elevator during lunch break, I decided to take the stair.

To my surprise, I CAN'T FIND the Emergency exit. When I opened a door that seems like an Emergency exit, a uniformed staf stopped me from entering and said, 'Sir, everyone needs to take the elevator to reach the ground floor. We will only inform the guests where the emergency exit is only when there is an emergency."

Emergency have a new defination? I am confused.

Someone told me later that the emergency exit is dirty and used to store kitchen goods. It looks messy and untidy, therefore they don't allow guests to use it.

Are they abide to the basic building safety standard? Someone need to inform the management.

Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank TetSan
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Front desk was understaffed. Check-in took a little longer than usual. Then I got up to the room and it was good sized. Furnuture and fittings were a little over-used.

Location is excellent, walking distance to major malls and food but it is located in a sleazy part of Bukit Bintang. The sleaze starts at 11pm along the main road.

Because of the sleaze, I would not recommend this hotel to families with youthful children. Other than that, its ok.

I will try other hotels in the area in future.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Disappointed with the bathroom amenities - sink is forever cloaked and the heater doesn't produce warm water. Was expecting room service in the morning but nobody came to tidy up our room even after we came back in the afternoon. Hence we had to specifically requested them to do so.

Location of the hotel is good as it is surrounded with food streets and just a distance away from all the nice pubs and bars. Anyway, if i were to visit KL again, i will book a much better quality hotel since there are an assortment of choices everywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jorliel
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Nice Hotel,Good location, Service is good, nearby the Hotel have a lot of small restaurent with different type of food and entertainment, just choose what you want.easy access to the main shopping area and the F&B outlet, Beelman very helpful with good knowledge ,Overall have a good stay,

Room Tip: Even lower floor very comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our trip was from 18-21st June 2013.
We arrived at the reception counter at 2.40pm. We waited for 40 minutes to check in, though all counters were opened. It was quite a long wait for a 4-star hotel.

As we got our rooms (Room no. 1229), we needed help with our safe deposit boxes as it was locked by the previous user. We called the reception at 3.23pm and she said she will send the Manager to our room. We waited for the manager till 3.45pm and the manager did not turn up. We called again and the receptionist said "today is a very busy day. our manager will come up soon." I was very disappointed. "Busy Day" is not an excuse for your poor service, specifically from your Manager. Again, we waited till 4.10pm and nobody turned up. We didnt want to wait any longer as we did not want to waste our day like that. As we walked out of the room, we saw a staff in charge of the room service. He was pushing the cart and was kind enough to help us call the manager to come to us. He used his walkie talkie and called for the manager. We waited till 4.20pm and no one in sight. We went down to the reception counter. Talked to this receptionist called "NORNADIA" (her hair will be tied in a bun) and I will never forget her exact words "Im so sorry mdm, my manager is already outside your room. Can you please hurry and try to walk back fast to your room because he is waiting outside?" I was so furious as she talked like that. How rude can one get? My friend and I went up to our room and to our fury, NO ONE WAS THERE. We were so pissed that we walked away instantly. As we reached the lift, the housekeeping staff (same guy who used the walkie talkie earlier, he was in room 1221 cleaning), he called out to us and said his manager is at our door. We went there and there were 2 managers "Christine" and an indian guy named "Sylvester" (He wore specs). They did not apologise to us and Sylvester smelled of smoke, probably he went to smoke before attending to us. They did not apologise, christine stood behind sylvester and watched how he opened the safe box. We thanked them and they just walked away. We were so disappointed and still upset about it.

Thirdly, our rooms had only 2 bathing towels. There was no hand towels too. The television will go bonkers occasionally. We requested for hand towels that night 18th June 2013 at 10 pm. Sure enough, Royale Bintang disappointed us again by not turning up at our room for towels. we waited for a long time and decided to try our luck. We went down to the reception and then the excuse "Sorry, we are very busy today. hope u can understand' is given to us.

Basically, all in all, the service is very bad. location is good. However, the receptionists needed to be taught on how to provide good service.

Dearest Manager, if you are reading this, please educate "NORNADIA" and your two other managers "SYLVESTER" and "CHRISTINE" on customer service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends