“Not a four star property”

Royale Chulan Bukit Bintang
Ranked #238 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed during the New Year peak time and the service at the hotel was atrocious. The wait for check-in took 30 minutes and the check-in was slow and impersonal and the staff were trying best they could to deal with the large number of people trying to check-in but weren't coping well.
The carpet and wallpaper in the common hallways were stained and rubbish (like cigarette butts) was on the floor and some sections smelt musty and old.
Our room was tired and dated with stained walls and bed head, old furniture and filthy windows. Thankfully the beds were comfortable and the bathroom clean. The wifi was frustrating as you had to continually log-in and each day get a new password from reception.
Breakfast was a disaster. A huge line up each morning for a table, not enough staff, dirty tables, constantly out of food as they were not able to keep up the rate it was consumed. We actually dined out on our last day as the lineup was so long.
The hotel is in serious need of a refurbishment and additional staff. The staff are not friendly but it's not surprising as they cannot do their jobs properly.
It's certainly not good value and its not four star. I would suggest staying across the road at Sky Hotel for half the price, which is where we moved to.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank R B

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel location is almost end of Bukit bintang street, but it has good access to food and mall. It is a one way street, so not really easy to find a cab. Must walk through the other end of Bukit Bintang for easy cab finding. Jalan Alor with its famous street food heaven is just 5 minutes walk across the street. Pavilion mall is just at the left of the hotel and it is nice mall. There are some nice massage outlet accross Pavilion mall.

The hotel lobby is just a standard 3.5 star hotel. Room floor corridor is a bit outdated. The room interior alos needs some renov but the room size is okay, not too big and not too small. We don't mind about the room cause most of the time we are out from morning and back to hotel around 11pm. Just back to hotel, shower, rest, and sleep, then go out again the next morning.

Room Tip: Room view to Bukit Bintang street is better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travel_mood
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed from 29-31st Dec 2012. The entrance of the hotel was quite nice, however, much less can be said about the interior. The hotel's furnishings could really do a make-over desparately.
They also could do with more front counter staff, to expedite check in. The lady behind me couldnt stop whining about it. Almost drove me mad!

I stayed on the 15th Floor, didn't really have a nice view, but didn't bother me as I was out most of the time. The beds were fine, clean sheets, nice shower. But again, the tiles and carpets could do with a remake.

I didn't try their breakfast, so I do not know if its good. However, everytime I passed by the restaurant where breakfast was served, had snaking queues. I think its a better option to eat out.

There is no cable, with an exception on 1 TLC channel, and does not receive signal when there is a thunderstorm or it is raining.

To my opinion, the best bit about this hotel was its location. I stayed till late, and it doesnt take me a significant time to get back from the shopping malls.

Overall, it was a so-so experience for me.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors, 17 and above for the deluxe rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Haslina84
Reviewed January 3, 2013

From check in...."sorry sir no double beds available" to "the engineers are working to fix the hot water supply to your room" to "We're over sold so unfortunately we dont have any where to move you too".
This 4 day Xmas visit to friends in KL was ruined by this hotel. Terrible staff training on handling complaints. A room on the 17th "EXECUTIVE" Floor..Nothing executive about it, TV picture snowwy & constantly rolling, broken telephone so could not even call reception, not to mention no hot water for 48 hours and a 20 minute queue for a buffet breakfast I wouldnt feed a dog!
I checked out 2 days into my staff to the insistance by the General Manager I still pay 50% of my bill. Disgusting ! Christmas ruined. Dont stay there!

Room Tip: Dont stay there!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank tonycelfit
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was a great dissatisfaction. Dirty room, bed, poor service. Obviously the hotel wants to apply for being downgraded. I recommend to avoid this hotel until rooms have been renovated, and cleaning is up to standard. So sorry, but I hope I can write better comment should I be booked intoi this one again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Wolfgang S
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Unfortunately for all of us, we had our worst experience as guests in this supposedly 4 star hotel. Let me begin with what actually happened only a few days ago. My friend who made the booking turned up at the hotel just after 1pm for our adjoining rooms. The reception staff (who we later found out was actually the manager) advised the rooms are going to be ready at 3pm.

When we all turned up at 3:50pm, another reception staff said that the rooms will not be ready for another hour! We had a long day and we couldn't believe what she was saying. She (and pretty much everyone there) was rude, arrogant and was simply unfriendly. We insist that we speak to the manager and was kept waiting for 40 minutes on the foyer. As you can imagine, the manager never showed up and we only got our rooms after talking to one of their fantastic staff Anita (I personally am not sure why she isn't running the hotel), who seemed like the only staff that was able to do her work and assist all of us.

After checking in I insisted that I have a word with the manager, still no show and there was no explanation to why our rooms were not available, not even an apology. They all seemed so stressed from having to deal with customers who are waiting for their rooms since midday.

When we enquired again in the evening, we were greeted with the evening manager who then apologised, and we had to negotiate (and this wasn't easy) to get a later check out as part of our compensation for not having our rooms ready till 5pm.

My friends and are truely shocked with the unimaginably poor quality of service from the front desk and again if it wasn't for Anita, we would have cancelled our reservation and booked into another hotel.

On other details, the rooms were just okay. The wifi was terribly slow and inconsistent, I had to use my 3g hotspot to access the internet most of the time. Breakfast was very basic. They run of out food, cutlery, glasses and plates all the time and there was a line to get into the restaurant.

Again, location is the only reason why one would want to stay here. It is just on the other side of Jalan Alor (food galore) and all the shopping malls is about 2 to 3 minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Please call them up in advance and make sure your rooms are available before turning up at the hotel...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Geeta N
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is ok for us in general but might think twice to book here again if we were to visit KL again. We arrived the hotel at around midnight and the reception told us that they couldn't find our record of reservation through Hotel Club. We showed them the confirmation details from Hotel Club and our passports but they said that there is no record on their side. And since it was so late already, their reservation office is closed already, so there is no way to confirm our reservation. But, under this circumstance, the receptionist did her job well. She immediately looked for vacant rooms for us to stay for the night and would deal with the reservation issue the next day.
The hotel rooms were really old! The cleanliness is just fine. The house keeping personnel is not that good. Sometimes he would forgot to refill the tissue paper in the toilet, sometimes he would forgot to give us soap. And one time he even blocked the connecting door (we were given 2 rooms with a connecting door) with the bed. Didn't think he did his job seriously. But the personnel seem to be friendly, at least they smile when they meet a guest.
The wifi is kinda inconsistent. And I think the signal gets stronger when you get closer to the elevator. You would need a new username and password everyday to access the wifi, which is a little inconvenient.
The breakfast is the same everyday (We stayed there for 5 nights!). Sometimes you would have to get in line at the reception to wait for a table. Food empties quickly, sometimes they would refill them fast, sometimes it would take a century. They often ran out of glasses, so better act fast when you see some available.
The location of the hotel is really nice!!! Near all the malls, probably 10 minutes walk. Very near to Jalan Alor, the food street, around 3 minutes walk. Has 168 convenient store open for 24/7 just across the street.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family