“Not so good experience..”
Review of Swiss-Garden Hotel

Swiss-Garden Hotel
Ranked #88 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 5, 2011

This was my second stay at the hotel. We had requested early checkin via email and got reply that it will be highest priority. We reached early just to find that front desk staff did not know anything about it. We were asked to wait.

We waited and after some time the front desk duty changed and again we started from begining explaining the request for early check in. Later we were offered an executive room. When we reached, we found it to be a old room. We stayed there and found that the toilet did not have proper flush and TV did not work. We requested room change which we received and we were back to standard but better room.

Overall, we realised that the hotel is ok if guests do not have any special needs. If you need anything special like early checkin or quick clean due to a spill or something, you may have to wait or handle on your own.

While some of the front desk staff are very polite and helpful, I happened to interact with not so nice one during early checkin process, which spoiled the experience for me.

I would have still had good image of the hotel if had not seen that old executive room or had a bit of help from front desk. However, I would not like to stay there when travelling with family (with young kids) any more.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lovetravel7519

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have no idea why this hotel is bustling with customers most of the time because the location isn't all that great and the rooms aren't 4-star material either. There was a strong stench of cigarettes when we first entered our room and the guy at the reception wasn't very receptive to us at all when we asked to have our rooms changed or even air freshened. Its a 10 minute walk to the centre of bukit bintang. There are a lot more hotels i'm sure much closer to the bukit bintang area which provide better service.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Esra_90
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Nice hotel - very helpful staff, but more like a 3 star than a 4 star. It's old and the breakfast food is average. Clean comfortable beds and bath. Everything works. Located in easy walking sitance to Jalan Alor, Bukit Bintang, and Berjaya Times Square, but the traffic and the construction going on nearby make walking quite hazardous!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The hotel is along a wide main avenue which makes crossing street very difficult since the motorists do not follow traffic signs. The first room given smelled strongly of cigarettes. But the concierge changed it promptly. Thereafter we got value for money. Best about the hotel is the breakfast buffet , kind waiters and the very sweet and accommodating lady who helped us book tours. Yes I would return.

Room Tip: I liked overlooking the main avenue. It prompted us to get out and experience KL.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I booked Swiss Garden Hotel Kuala Lumpur using Swiss Garden International Vacation Club (SGIVC) entitlement (time sharing). My partner and I arrived at the hotel around 4pm on Sunday 17-7-2011 and we were attended to swiftly. I presented the confirmation slip to the front officer who after checking their system informed me that there was no such booking. He checked further and later proceeded to check us in. I told him to ensure that there’s a safe deposit box in the room and he replied that SGIVC room entitlement does not come with in room safe box. I had anticipated such reply and I showed him the page I printed from the SGIVC website which clearly states that the Deluxe Room under this program comes with, inter alia, an in-room safe box. The officer repeated that members don’t get room with safe deposit box and I also repeated what was stated in the website and that the in-room safe box was one of the main reasons I booked the hotel.

He said the hotel was running on 100% occupancy and that all the rooms allocated for members were taken up. He repeated that the rooms for members do not have safe box and offered us to use the front desk deposit box instead. I asked why the website says otherwise but in reality the room is not as stated. He said that was not his problem and I quote him: “That’s not our problem, we do not have rooms for members with safe box”. I then asked him: “Then whose problem is that? mine?”. He replied: “We only do the check in so we do not know what’s stated in the website of SGIVC. All I know is we do not have rooms with safe box for members.” I said: “Ok fine, I will complain to the club.” Then I asked for his name as he was not wearing a name tag and he said his name was Shahril. I then told him that I would complain about him too as his service and attitude was unpleasant! Then he answered me: “Complain all you want, I AM VERY TIRED TODAY”! I was very mad with his reply and I said this to him: “So you are having a busy day today and that gives you the right to treat your customer this way?! Then I suppose you do not work during Puasa (fasting) month?” I repeated what he said a few times “Complain all you want, I AM VERY TIRED TODAY” cus I was in disbelief a reputable hotel would have such a lousy staff manning the most important part of the hotel – the front desk!

And that was not the end of the story; while I was repeating in disbelief that he was very tired, he refused to listen to me and kept telling me this: “Don’t argue with me, don’t argue with me.” My partner and I decided not to waste our energy on such ill trained person but to pursue this matter beyond the front desk. Soon after, Shahril told us that he found a room with safe box and said this to us: “See, I told you to let me try to look it up for you and now I have found a room with safe box” What a liar! In no way did he ever tell us that he would look for room with safe box for us! All he ever said to us was: “no room with safe box for members and I don’t know about the SGIVC”

While he was getting the room ready for us, I approached the Concierge Manager Mr Joe who was very helpful during my previous stay. I asked him who I could lodge my complaint against Shahril and Mr Joe said that would be the Front Officer Manager. He then asked me to wait. Soon a man called Mr Jay approached us and I told him what happened. Mr Jay listened to us attentively and whilst this was going on, Shahril who stood behind the counter was laughing (not smiling cus I could hear the laughter though I was not facing him, and when I turned to look at him, he was still happily laughing!) I immediately pointed this behaviour to Mr Jay and I asked him: “Did you see that? Here we are complaining about him and he’s laughing as if this is a joke!” I added: “Mr Jay, do you think this is funny?” Mr Jay said no. I then said: “But I think Shahril thinks this is a joke or he thinks we are clowns” Mr Jay said this was not acceptable and he apologized and said he would call Shahril up and speak to him. I also added that the hotel should not treat its members like this as we are paying customers too (in fact we pre-paid in advance!) and the room is not free! Mr Jay agreed and said all customers should be treaded equally. For your information, Shahril was laughing through out the whole time I was taking to his superior Mr Jay. I don’t know who should be more angry, me the victim or Mr Jay who has a lousy staff who disrespects him in public.

Mr Jay walked us to the hotel lift and kept apologizing. I simply said this to him: “Mr Jay, honestly I do not think you would reprimand Shahril but at least I voiced out my dissatisfaction but be assured that this matter won’t rest here. The internet is a powerful tool and I’ll make the best out of it” Mr Jay then repeated that he would call Shahril up and train his staff better.

Being a reputable 4-star hotel which has been around for many years, this incident is the last straw to my visit to the hotel. Previously I had experienced the same excuse “rooms for members do not come with safe box” but I managed to get such room when I showed them what’s stated in the website of SGIVC (which I should not have to at the first place!). Whatever internal issue between the club and the hotel, they should resolve it and not to make the customers the victims. Iron out your issues; don’t promise something which you cannot deliver. Train your staff as service is in the top of what customers look for nowadays! There are many other hotels out there which may not be a chain but their services are way beyond your league. Being a frequent traveler and for the benefit of other travelers, I want everyone to know about this incident and I will post this terrible experience on online forums.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank meames
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Swiss Garden Hotel for 4 nights during the last week of June. We got a tremendous deal through our timeshare company, costing us only $50/night. I was prepared for something pretty ordinary for that price and going by some of the previous reviews but came away pleasantly surprised. No it's not the quality of a 4 star hotel - but the room we had on the 10th floor overlooking the street was fine. It was large, clean, and relatively soundproof inspite of facing the main street. Aircon was quiet and efficient. It appeared that it had been renovated including what someone obviously thought was trendy bedside lighting with black marbled type fabric lampshades i.e. absolutely useless lights for reading in bed. If I didn't have my iPad with it's backlighting there was no way I could have read. Breakfast was not included in the price so we had to purchase breakfast buffet vouchers. The cost was only around $7 (RM 20) per person for a pretty good buffet with a reasonable selection of items. Considering the price, the selections were varied and should meet most people's basic preferences. The breakfast room was generally crowded but we did not have to queue at all. There is no hotel service information in the room or anywhere that we could find, and there was no tourist information either in the room or conveniently located in the foyer. The front desk had a couple of maps but not really useful for any detailed sight seeing. We ended up going to the Malaysian Tourism Centre on the other side of town to get some useful information. The hotel is about 10 - 15 minutes walk from 2 light rail stations and the monorail, both of which were not easy walks because of roadworks and construction works. Otherwise the hotel is in a good location for the hawker food stalls and shopping malls. There is an ATM next door to the hotel and a couple of minimarts within 10 mins walk. WiFi access is only available in the small ground floor restaurant. The staff had trouble logging us in and access was variable. If you can get a good deal for this hotel and you really just want a convenient, decent place to rest between sightseeing then this hotel is fine.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights, we had 2 rooms as the family room we booked wasn't available, so we got an ajoining room which was fine with us.We had to wait over 2 hours before our rooms were ready,just before 6pm. The rooms were very dated with mould on the bathroom walls, loose tap in one of the room. We requested the bathroom walls to be cleaned which was actioned almost immediately.Staff was friendly and helpful, a big plus! Breakfast was included too which was good, changed slightly daily, but don't expect bacon as no pork was served since Malaysia is a Muslim country, there were plenty of others to choose from. Freshly cooked eggs, cereals, hot food with local flavours etc...so breakfast was good to set us up for the day.The area around the hotel wasn't too good, narrow dirty footpath, in some parts, there was no footpath, so be careful if you have children with you walking along. It was a 30 mins walk to Chinatown where market stalls aplenty with copies, from DVD movies to watches and handbags. We stocked up on fresh fruits.To all you fellows, buy your wives/girl frineds flowers, roses bouquets, freshly cut beautiful and fraquent for around 20RM which was about $6! Time Square was another short walk in the oppsite direction, nice shopping and cleaner eateries.
The hotel pool was rather small but adquate for a cool dip.
The price was reasonable at this hotel, beds were comfy enough. Overall we had a good stay.
Ps: we were on the 8th floor and my cousin stayed on the 11th floor, their room was much modern and fresh.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the better rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family