“Excellent Service”

The Westin Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #27 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Our recent visit to the Westin in KL was fantastic. The service was outstanding and more so in the executive club being excellent and professional at all times. The service and buffet breakfast was also great with the staff always being very friendly and willing to provide us with our request.

Look forward to returning to the Westin again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2010

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay but most importantly our associates were able to attend to your needs promptly and professionally.

Do stay with us again should travel plans bring you back to Kuala Lumpur. All of us here look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 30, 2010

We stayed 10 nights at the Westin and absolutely loved it! Apart from the TV and the wear of the rooms which were already mentioned in the reviews, we have not found anything to fault the hotel.
•Our room was fresh, clean, with a great view of the twin towers.
•Check-in was a breeze. We were greeted out of the car straight into the room.
•The heavenly bed is indeed heavenly.
•Breakfast buffet is just amazing, over 10 days we were still eating different foods in the morning.
•I found service impeccable, friendly and efficient. Staff is super-courteous. The concierge service was great for getting us the information we needed, organizing taxis and restaurant bookings.
•Shuttle service was convenient to go to KLCC, although we also walked to get there.
•Pool area was nice. What we liked was that there were always only a few guests around making it a great place to relax and unwind.

The most important aspect of the Westin in my opinion is the location. We wanted to be in the Bukit Bintang area for our shopping and eating spree and had the choice between Mariott, Ritz Carlton and Grand Millenium. We were glad we chose Westin as the ornate, heavy set décors of the others were not to our taste. The Westin is modern and contemporary; there are no draperies and valences. Pavilion mall is just across the road. There you will get everything from Prada to Panadol with a great foodcourt in the basement (for those like me who cannot settle for Jalan Alor) and other nice restaurants in the upperfloors. Movie theatres and late-closing restaurants/bars are also at the Pavilion. Starhill Gallery is next door for designer labels and other premium restaurants. Other malls are also within 3-5 min walk. The happening scene of Changkat Bukit Bintang is also within walking distance.
If we go again to KL, we are choosing the Westin. I think this says it all. Being residents of Mauritius, we have sampled quite a few 5-star resorts and if you can handle a few scratches in the Westin room, then I don’t see how come you will not enjoy your stay there.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

We thank you for sharing your experience and it is a delight to hear you had a renewing stay.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best wishes

Reviewed April 26, 2010

Stayed 3 nites at Westin recently - got good rate at latestays.com. The room is spacious and we love the beds - mattress is firm and there were 3 diff types of pillows. Nice bathroom with separate shower and bath tub. The toiletries are nice.
Only thing we found a bit of problem was the lighting - need to switch the lamps on individually or room is rather dark. Hotel is convenient for going around Bukit Bintang shopping malls.
Near to the hotel if you cut thro Ritz Carlton is Jln Imbi - nice places to eat there - great nasi lemak at Sakura cafe and Chinese food in Overseas Chinese Restoran. The concierge at Westin is very helpful. Just opp hotel is Pavilion Mall which has many shops as well as Parkson and a great food court, There is also ILLY coffee available in outdoor cafe - great Italian coffee and nice place to relax and take breakfast or tea.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank GHELLC
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

We thank you for staying with us and appreciate you sharing your experience.

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again should travel plans bring you back to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

As some other reviewers commented the rooms need to be refreshed but they are well kept (at least mine was). The heavenly beds are well heavenly. I had not been sleeping well on my trip through Malaysia and was so happy to get to the Westin knowing they had my favorite beds. Had the best 3 night sleep.

Service was friendly and efficient. I only had food at Prego which was ok but not great.

Location is convenient next to Pavillion mall and walking distance to KLCC.

My one big disappointment was the pool. The pool itself is very small and of a weird shape so forget about doing laps. Not sure how to describe the pool surrounding, it just look very depressing, dark, strange layout, surrounded by lots of tall buildings and just not attractive at all.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank asia4me
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2010

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur

We thank you for sharing your experience and good to hear you liked the heavenly bed, which is our signature bed.

All of us here look forward to welcoming you again should travel plans bring you back to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed April 22, 2010

Bottom line: there are lots of nice business hotels in KL, and there's just no good reason to pick this one.

Staying at the Westin KL leaves me wanting to write a really nasty review, but I'll try to be fair.

The hotel has all the basics you expect from a 5-star business hotel - decent-sized, smartly decorated rooms, a well-equipped gym, a choice of restaurants, a big breakfast spread, lots of service staff and a central location.

However, though it has all of those things, it doesn't do any of them particularly well compared to other 5-star hotels. Specifically.

The rooms are well decorated and ok sized, but the pillows are not comfortable, the rooms are very dark (you need to manually turn on all the lights), the TV is old, the bathroom is very spare, there is a large gap under the door, and it is fairly noisy between rooms.

The gym is good, but once again falls short of what you expect from a 5-star hotel. Though the machines are good, the staff member I dealt with was border-line rude, and they don't have the touches you would expect - toiletries in the bathroom, headsets to borrow, plastic bags for dirty clothes, etc.

Sure, there's a choice of restaurants, but none of them have particularly great food, and the service is uninspired (if not bored), but the prices are just as high as you would expect.

The breakfast buffet is very extensive, but once again, if you dig a little deeper, there's a lot lacking. In my first week there, I had a negative experience each day - staff forgot my tea or coffee, eggs were either raw or completely over-done, the dim sum was uncooked and had sand or some kind of grainy substance in it, and I got a still-frozen sausage.

Finally, overall I must say they don't know how to treat customers properly. I am a loyal platinum member staying at the hotel long term, and my company currently has about 10 people there and has had people there for something like 2 years running. Yet, the long-term rate they offer me is almost identical to the nightly rate (literally 4% discount). So, I choose to just pay by night, and even though I am back every week for the next 6 months or so (along with the other ~10 colleagues), they don't offer any luggage butler service (packing and unpacking bags), which other Starwood hotels have done. This might sound nitpicky, but if you have enough clothes for 6 months (including suits which must be folded carefully), and you have to pack and unpack them each week even though you're staying at the same hotel, that is a major inconvenience. They also only offer meagre discount on the laundry, while other hotels will give you a laundry allowance for long stay. The point is that if you are a very loyal customer with a long relationship who has as many as a dozen people staying there long term for years, the hotel should treat you better. If you are staying long term, they should offer you a long term package. If Westin is supposed to be my home away from home, then I want to move!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Hoyaohboya
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We loved our room and the location of the Westin KL - across from a fabulous mall with what has to be the best food court on earth! We had the breakfast buffet - unbelievable - and the lunch buffet - great but not as good as breakfast. There is also a very cool Latin bar in the basement, that even has salsa dancing on some nights! For more info on our experience / recommendations for KL (we stopped there on our honeymoon), check out our blog: http://thedelowes.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/kuala-lumpur-malaysia/

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank magicsara

Greetings Mr and Mrs De Lowes

Congratulations on your wedding and we are delighted to hear you had a great honeymoon.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you celebrate your anniversary.

Best wishes

Reviewed April 18, 2010

Traveling with a 2 years old and my parents this time on for business which wasn't easy. I needed to get a room that would be big enough to hold all of us 'coz we needed to take turns to take care of my son. I stayed at this location before and the experience were good so I tried again. When I checked in, the reservation desk (Adriana) listened to my concern of both price and room size, she suggested me to get an executive suite so it is spaceous enough for an added bed so we could all stay there with free breakfast everyday. We happily stayed there for 5 nights, it was great that my kid had rooms to walk around within the apt and I was worry-free at work knowing that they had so many areas of attractions they could go visit every day. I was simply great, thanks for the hotel to take care of my family

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

We thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience.

We are delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay.

My team and I look forward to your next visit.