“Heavenly experience”

The Westin Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #24 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have stayed here twice and I have never slept better in a hotel before, Yes the beds are heavenly, and so is the rest of the hotel. You just don´t want to leave the breakfasttable, best breakfast ever with a wide selection of food - the have it all :) Nice pool area. The location of the hotel is very good. KL is one of our favorite cities.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Greetings MonaF19

On behalf of the team, thank you very much for your support. It's always good to know that our guests enjoyed themselves during their stay.

See you again soon.

Hratch Khatchanian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,702)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Location is really nice- jus beside Pavilion shopping mall!!

The room is clean and big.. Cityview is beautiful. But e shower is having sone problem with e sewage - drainage system.. I bath 11pm, nxt morning at 7am.. E pool of water is still there.. My fren staying at e other floor.. Her shower area was flooded before e water turn hot before she could bath.. She change to another room after that.

Breakfast- failure! Little variety, not tasty at all.. The only selling is e wide range of superfood- yogurts etc.

But overall it is a gd stay.. But with e price I paid.. I will stay at other hotel nxt time..

• Stayed: September 2013

Greetings LOve Traveller

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your stay experience.

Pertaining to your comment on the clogged drainage in the bathroom, we have fiound that a foreign object has fallen into the pipe hence has created a blockage. With your feedback, we have since cleared the blockage. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Honestly, I am very surprised to hear that our breakfast is a failure as mentioned by you. We have received many positive feedbacks and this is our signature Breakfast Adventure.

Nevertheless, we truly appreciate your feedbacks and look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My partner and I spent the Dec 2012 vacation "experiencing" the different SPG hotels in Langkawi (Four Points & The Andaman), KL (Sheraton Imperial & The Westin) and finally ended our trip in Sydney enjoying the Darling Harbour view from our Four Points hotel balcony. As SPG (Platinum) member, we can understand that there might be variation in facilities on the different premises, especially for e.g. FP versus the luxury collection; but one thing we cannot understand and we strongly emphasised on is the service level standards amongst the hotels. Shouldn't it be the same exceptional good standards rendered to your Platinum guests (or any paying member of the public) on all of your hotel premises? Our stay at The Westin KL was really a let-down, there was little to compliment about; and below is a rehash of our experience.

We tried to secure a suite for our 2N stay here after checking out from Sheraton Imperial, but there was only a suite available on one night. So we arrived in the evening to a very busy hotel; the bustling Pavilion mall opposite did not help with the chaotic atmosphere. We went up to the club lounge level to check-in. While waiting for the hotel desk to prepare the necessary, we went to grab a bite and we were shocked to see so many people having their dinner in the club lounge too. Children running around, helping themselves to food and drinks unsupervised by adults. I have no qualms about children being independent, as long as they are aware of their own and the safety of others, especially in a such a small room filled with crockery and glasses. These children were running around all over the place in excitement. The adults weren't any better, talking so loudly that we thought we were in a public coffeeshop. This is the first club lounge that we've been to that is like a "pasar malam" (night bazaar)! The food selection was empty and I could not find any staff around to ask for replenishment; when I finally asked the guy in a chef uniform, he asked me to get help from the staff outside. The lady outside gave me a can't be bothered "when the food is finished, just too bad" attitude. We ate up our light dinner quickly and then checked into our normal room.

The next morning, we opted for breakfast downstairs and I must applaud the wide selection of international fare. They have quite a good variety of bread, pastries and a crepe/waffle bar; I recalled trying a turkish/foreign pastry for the very first time, so breakfast at The Living Room was quite a novel experience in terms of the (dim) modern concept, decor and some of its food offerings. The cons were that the busy crowd from last evening was of course dining there too. Super busy and long Q at the egg and waffle stations. I skipped ordering egg altogether and queued in line patiently for my crepe. Also, the "kampong coffee" in the silver dispenser at the bar was diabolical. Do not try it. I had it because I couldn't get anyone to serve me a coffee. Everyone was everywhere but nowhere near service's arm length. It was supposed to be a luxurious Westin experience; however the crowd just took the luxury away from us. It was not very relaxing at all. You just want to quickly finish up your food and get out of the place. By the way, the pizza dinner we ordered for room service the 2nd night took quite a while to arrive and it also turned up cold. We had to ask for a replacement, which they gladly obliged.

We were supposed to get our room upgraded that day and since no one called us long after lunch time, we went to chill and have a coffee in the club lounge while my partner completed some work. The key lime pie served for tea was quite good actually. I enjoyed it. Then I decided to go for a walk at the shopping mall. It must be about 2hrs later that I find myself locked out of our room. I thought surely we had our room upgraded; but as I did not have my mobile phone with me, I went to the concierge for help. At first they couldn't find my name as registered guest and they couldn't contact my partner to verify. So they tried again and finally found my name, and handed me the new key to the new suite. So happily, I went and opened the door. There was a housekeeper in the room for turn down service. He greeted me and I smiled back. Then suddenly I looked into the room and saw a whole pile of mess with clothes and luggages that were not ours; and my partner was nowhere in sight! I was shocked, quickly apologised that that was not my room and turned around for the exit; the housekeeper got a shock too, and he came and made sure that I left the room. I called concierge using the telephone at the lobby; asked them which room exactly did we get, and managed to speak to my partner on the phone to clarify our room number. Then I had to go to the club lounge to deactivate and reactivate the key to the correct room; and honestly, I believe I was more in shock to enter someone else's room than the concierge was to hand me the wrong key to the wrong room. They were not very apologetic about their mistake. I cannot imagine if someone else with bad intention had entered my room wrongly instead and took advantage of that situation to make off with our personal belongings. So fellow travellers, its very important to keep all your valuables in the safe or bring it with you when you leave your room!!

Finally I got into our room and if there's any consolation to help me get over my state of shock, it was the very spacious room and the bath tub overlooking the KL city. It was really a breathtaking view. But do keep the blinds/curtains down if you are taking a bath or need privacy as the building was too near the Marriot building and if I can see clearly what the guests there were up to, I am quite sure the feeling was mutual for them too.

It may just be a 2 nights stay, but the lack of, if any, service excellence and the events that happened in this short stay was enough to create a lasting impression - one that make us decide this is not the hotel we like to stay in for our next and upcoming KL trips. In fact, the impression came at a premium too.

Unfortunately, to date, we cannot help but remember how rowdy and un-premium the hotel was.

Room Tip: Save some money and try other hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brownsugar33

Greetings brownsugar33

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel.

It was with deep regret that we learnt of the unpleasant incident that you have experienced during your last December stay. Having read your review there was indeed no excuse for the inefficiency show by our team but to extend our most profound apologies for the aggravation caused.

We realize that this experience has marred your impression of the hotel but we hope that you would give us an opportunity to make amends and demonstrate to you that the incident was an exception one.

Once again, we truly appreciate your feedbacks and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Having arrived fairly late in the night, the hotel was a welcome sight for a tired soul. The reception area was inviting and the staff very helpful. The service was prompt and friendly. The room was spacious which was a pleasant surprise. And the best part was we had a fantastic view and access of the KL shopping district!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Greetings chits230482

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and very happy to hear you had a great stay experience.

Please come back again whenever you return to Kuala Lumpur. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The breakfast is amazing. Local and western food of the best quality and fineest collection.
The staff is helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean and big, you can not open the window what is a disadvantage for my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Greetings Dirk_Brox

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We are very happy to hear you had a great stay but most importantly our team provided personal and instinctive experiences.

We hope you understand that the windows are closed for safety and security reasons. However guests are required to sign a Letter of Indemnity if there is a request for the windows to be opened.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The amazing rooms were warming services, rooms were not stuffy rather cozy, location is in superb attracting, most importantly, breakfast was full of delicacy with different types of food & bakery.

The business sessions & photographs came eventually good & loved the room having a spacious & neat w/c

Room Tip: Corner suits are sunny & upper view of KL city
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Greetings Wrong P

We thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel - it's always good to know that our guests enjoy themselves during their stay.

Please come back again whenever you return to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at the Westin last Aug 26-29, 2013. It was supposed to be a birthday treat for mom, marred by the cancellation of our flight due to typhoon Nando. I had been corresponding with the Westin arranging our trip a month prior to our arrival. Opted for their Recharge package with extra bed included—booked directly with the hotel. Westin has been prompt in answering all my queries. During these e-mail exchanges, got to meet Ms. Ivy Look, Guest Relations Manager who was instrumental in making our stay at the Westin comfortable and memorable. I just mentioned in one of my e-mails that our trip was our birthday treat for mom. She surprisingly responded that she would be preparing something for her. Although, mom’s birthday has passed due to the flight cancellation, she went out of her way to still prepare a belated treat for her.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were immediately attended to by the porters. The lobby itself was not impressive. We were greeted with a tall shot glass of cold water flavored with mint. Check-in was a breeze. I wanted to meet Ivy to thank her personally. Ivy presented mom with a lovely bouquet of pink and violet roses. She even escorted us up to our upgraded Premiere room with a view of the Petronas and KL towers. Balloons and a nicely decorated cake—sponge layers sandwiched with whipped cream, kiwi, plum and strawberry slices greeted us upon entry. The cake was ubber delicious—very light and not too sweet. Ivy mentioned that it was sugar-free so mom couldn’t resist having two slices.

Shortly after leaving, Ivy called to inform us as to which bed had a firm mattress—a request I made earlier. She also helped us with a little misunderstanding with one of the staff regarding my sister’s purchase of the hotel’s boudoir pillows, which weren’t delivered vacuum packed as advised by the shop attendant.

The buffet breakfast at the Westin is simply the best!!!! Such an extensive spread—a grilling station with minute steak and chicken, an omelet station, a salad station, Indian and Japanese station and a whole bakeshop/deli wherein one will be at a lost as to which pastries/sandwiches to try.

The Indian station had roti chanai, chicken tikka (or another version), daal and paneer! I was finally able to satisfy my craving for this. They also had coconut rice and fish or chicken curry. There was siopao bread and siopao filled with either meat or mashed beans. The Japanese station had the usual miso soup and a boiled beef dish. Such an extensive salad spread with a variety of cheeses-cheddar, Blue cheese and Camembert. I got smoked salmon, capers and Camembert and had the cook at the station make me an omelet. They also had a congee station, a variety of teas, juices and choice of coffee-cappuccino, café mocha, and espresso to name a few. And the cronuts… like a crunchy donut split in half filled with pastry cream and enrobed with chocolate ganache wassimply the best! It is not openly displayed at the counter so one has to ask for it. Opt for the chocolate variety, although the vanilla and blueberry are ok too. There is a display of sandwiches available—try their grilled cheese and ham sandwich.yum!
Moving on to the hotel’s heavenly beds…yes, they were heavenly indeed as the mattress conforms to every contour of your body contributing to a very restful sleep.

Tours can be arranged at the concierge desk a day before your chosen schedule. Transpo to the airport can also be arranged. Surprisingly the cost of which was 77.70 ringgit for a premiere taxi. Much less than the 102+ we paid for a premiere taxi at the airport itself.

The Westin is conveniently located across the Pavilion, a huge shopping mall with upscale shops-Escada, Gucci to name a few, Parkson (a department store), Tokyo Street (check out Daisu where everything is just 5 ringgit) and other mid-range shops. To the left of the hotel are JW Marriott, Star Hill, Sephora Fahrenheit 88 and Lot 10. Berjaya Times Square is within walking distance, accessed by the Sky Walk. Moneychangers abound. There’s one inside and right outside Fahrenheit 88. Wait to exchange your money here as rates are much higher than that at the airport.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Greetings reneerp

On behalf of the team, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your stay experience - very happy to know you and your mom had a great time.

We look forward to welcoming you back whenever you return to Kuala Lumpur.