“Great hotel, great location !!”

The Westin Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #26 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The best thing I liked about the Westin is the location. We re not the type who lounge in the hotel and love a good location to explore the places around. It is centrally located with a lot of shopping, eating locations around. The KL Tower and the Petronas Tower are not too far as well. Breakfast is excellent... better than a lot of 5 star hotels. My kids loved the fresh waffles and pancakes. Staff are very friendly and helpful. I had a special requirement for infant food for my 11 month daughter and we did not have a problem getting it. We ordered a lot of food in our room, service was great and the food was great as well. If anything the only issue with the hotel is that it has a bit of a dated look to it but thats a very small issue. Also it would be great if they provied free wi fi.
All in all a very recommendable hotel...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2011

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

We thank you for staying with us and hoped you and your family had a great holiday.

Delighted to hear all of you enjoyed your stay - this is how it should feel.

All of us here look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation to Kuala Lumpur.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed July 19, 2011

The moment I arrived, the staffs are being so attentive already: Greeted me by the door, held the door for me, and offered me welcoming drinks. Check in was fast too.

My non-smoking room has got great view, room and bathroom are spacious, the green color boxes for the amenities made me feel "green" already. Overall, my room is really clean and the bed was comfortable.

But too bad I had to pay 50 RM for the daily broadband internet connection, but I was fine as long as the connection is stable and fast enough. The room service was really fast and I loved the food at Qba. Other than the excellent facilities and services, the location was great too, most shopping areas in Bukitbintang can be reached on foot. What I like most is, it is just opposite Pavillion, very convenient and won't get bored.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

We thank you for your support and appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us.

Delighted to hear you had a renewing experience but most importantly our services and facilities meet up with your expectations - this is how it should feel at The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

All of us here look forward to welcoming back whenever travel plans bring you back to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We took the Westin Suite, which partially overlooked the Pavilion shopping mall. It certainly was spacious, though we thought it a bit dated. Problem was it was too close to the Marriott next door, and the floor to ceiling glass, I'm sure, afforded residents at the Marriott a clear view of us, especially at night, if the curtains were not drawn. That aside, the breakfast spread was good, and we found the child-minding kids club quite useful. The hotel is centrally located, in the Bukit Bintang shopping belt, but the executive club was a disappointment (food offering wise). Staff were very friendly though, which is a plus at any hotel and outlet.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur

We thank you for staying with us and appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Your comments have been noted and shared with the departments concerned for review.

Meanwhile, do stay with us again whenever you are in Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed here for just one night in Nov. 2010 in a deluxe city-view room, having made the booking through Asiatravel. I had previously stayed for one night in the Westin Sydney and was quite impressed so decided to try this hotel for a night. It provided generally another very good experience.

Arrival Experience

I arrived by taxi from the KL Sentral station and the welcome to the hotel on the outside wasn’t too great but both the assistant/porter and the reception attendant inside were better and friendlier.

As a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, I could use the dedicated SPG check-in, which provided a slightly more personalised and faster experience.

The Room

I was assigned a room close to the lift and it was very clean. The room was wide and spacious and had very nice views of KL. The pleasant wallpaper gave an appropriate tone to the room. The room reminded me of those at the Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur, with a similar style, in particular the window design and curtains, but the room here was much wider.

My room had a view of the Petronas twin towers, looking directly over the Pavilion shopping mall, whereas I had only booked for a city-view room, so I’m not sure if I was upgraded or whether there are rooms with even better views of the twin towers available.

The curtains blocked out the light completely during the day and at night, the hotel room looked particularly impressive.

In terms of equipment, the room seemed to be just alright, with an average size and quality TV being provided. There was a dvd player provided as in Sydney but this time there seemed to be no facility to play an iPod directly, unlike in Sydney’s Westin.

The wooden furniture and flooring were becoming a little worn but were still functional. The top of the workdesk was scratched, as were the sides.

Unfortunately, I could not find a hard copy of the room directory, nor could one be located on the TV, which was not the case in Sydney, where a hardcopy was not available but could be found on the TV. The sofa-bed piece here was large and comfortable, making the sitting area a much better place to relax and read than the equivalent in the Westin Sydney, where there was only a single-seat sofa with an ottoman.

The coffee table had a pleasant stone-top, similar to the stone used in the minibar and bathroom vanity areas.

The bed this time around was very nice and comfortable with the pillows being ok. The bed was a little on the softer side. It was supposedly a very similar bed to that in the Westin Sydney (the Westin Heavenly) but this time around, it just seemed to offer a much better sleep and I’m not too sure just how much the Westin Heavenly beds (including the pillow setup) vary around the world because this bed seemed to be different to the one in Sydney. The bed also had a comfortable back with functionally well-designed lighting.

The bathroom was large and generally nicely appointed. It was generously proportioned with separate areas for the toilet and shower. However the vanity tap was a disappointment, having the weaker dispersed style of water flow, which I dislike, as well as being located close to the edge of the vanity basin, which increases the chances of water splashing and creating a mess. Due to the inconvenient location of the tap, I was also not able to gargle or wash my mouth directly under the tap, which I consider to be more hygienic.

The bathtub was of a similar ergonomic design to the one in Sydney. The towels were nicely scented and warm to the touch.

The room provided quite a good-quality iron, a very comfortable Yukata-style robe which was light and appropriate for the climate. I definitely prefer these style of robes to the thicker variety. There was also a very nifty weighing scale with an interesting design, which can be viewed on my youtube hotels channel.

Unfortunately, the kettle was in quite poor condition and not up to the standard expected in a Westin, being broken at the top and it also looked quite dirty inside.

The service express button on the phone remains a good idea, I only called up once to ask for some ice, which was delivered as requested with some good-quality and clear fresh-tasting ice.

The staff were friendly upon exiting and entering the hotel after I had checked in. I had an issue on check-out as the reception attendant charged an incorrect rate, which was not the same as what appeared on my Asiatravel booking. I’m not too sure of the reason, the staff member was apologetic but I would expect a little better at any quality hotel establishment, due to the fact that the error did take some time to rectify.

Hotel Location and Common Areas

The hotel’s location is extremely convenient for shopping and eating, being located in the touristy Bukit Bintang area, close to a number of shopping malls (including even the KLCC mall at the Petronas towers) and directly opposite the Pavilion Shopping Centre. The Pavilion has a nice foodcourt on the lower floor which was where I went for dinner. There was also a nice supermarket on the same floor.

I did not try the swimming pool but it looked quite nice. The gym also looked quite modern. I thought there might be a jacuzzi onsite but there wasn’t. Only a sauna was available within the changeroom, which also had interesting circular shower pods.

The public areas at the hotel were all nice and pleasing but not designed in a particularly luxurious fashion, which I suppose suits the business character of the hotel.

Conclusion

The hotel provided an elegant experience overall with a pleasant room and was also well-located for dining and shopping needs.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank perryw
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2011

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

We thank you for staying with us and sharing your thoughts about your experience.

Good to know that overall you had a renewing stay and our servicies and facilities met up with your expectations.

All of us here look forward to welcomine you back soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

This is a fabulous property situated right in the heart of the shopping district. We really enjoyed our stay and will definately return.

Room Tip: view of the petronas towers is beautiful at night
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We recently stayed at the Westin KL for 3 nights and were pleasantly advised by a friendly receptionist upon check in that we were being upgraded to a 2 bedroom executive residence! The kids were impressed with their own plasma TV & dvd. It was pure luxury & a great way to end our holiday after spending 7 nights at Westin Langkawi. The staff at the Westin KL were very friendly and helpful & the service was exceptional. Special mention to Miza on Reception for making us feel very welcome & special upon check in. The buffet breakfast was certainly an incredible journey & the breakfast map came in handy! Hotel is in a great location across the road from The Pavilion & walking distance to a number of other great shopping centres! We had a fantastic holiday & will definitely be back same time next year!!

1  Thank RobynJT
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur.

We thank you for your support and delighted to hear you and your family were very happy with the upgrade and had an excellent experience - this is how it should feel

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed July 7, 2011

I always stay at The Westin at KL and over the years the service has remained very consistent. I stay in the Executive Floors. The Exec Lounge is great. I am a female travelling alone and it is such a lovely place to sit at night and work on my laptop, surrounded by people and feeling secure and safe and at home. Staff are great. Nothing too much trouble. Requests are handled ever so promptly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
KimPowley-TWKL, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2011

Warm greetings from The Westin Kuala Lumpur

We thank you for your support and good to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

All of us here look forward to welcoming you back whenever travel plans bring you back to Kuala Lumpur.