“Everything you would expect from a hotel of this standard”

InterContinental Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #11 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Brisbane, Australia
“Everything you would expect from a hotel of this standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

I was lucky enough to stay on the Executive Club floor with a stay 3 pay for two deal, so I was definitely very fortunate. If I hadn't got that deal, it would have ended up costing a bit. It's definitely a nice place to stay with excellent service (always with a smile or a good morning sir) which is very convenient to the twin towers and KLCC.
The room was very clean and quite spacious. Yes, the internet did cost a bit, but only use it if you really need it. I was also treated to breakfast in the executive club lounge and it was a great way to start the day.

Usually I write more, but I can't really fault this hotel. If you manage to stay here you wont be disappointed. There are a lot of other top hotels in the area. and this would definitely be up there with them.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
BorostyanM, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, October 17, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. It was certainly pleasing to read that you enjoyed our Club facilities and personnel so much during your visit. It you wish to return sometime soon, please do keep a watch on our online specials to enable you to enjoy the Club Lounge on special rates once again.

Kind regards,

Michael Borostyan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Room and cleanliness: The room is very very very old and tired. It is totally difference from what the hotel shows in their web. I understand hotels would re-decorate their rooms in batches, but as a five star hotel, there should always be a bottomline of how old and tired a room can be accepted. I paid a promotional price so I was ready to accept older rooms, but not THIS OLD. The A/C is very weak and took whole day to cool off the room. The washroom's full of mildrew and it's covered all possible cracks and area between tiles. And worst of all, COCKROACH!!!! I travel quite a bit around the world and has stayed in 3 star hotels.....but I have never seen cockroach in even 3 star hotels.....not in mainland China, not in Vietnam.....but here, in Nikko Hotel KL.

House keeping: It is very standard that five star hotel to provide face towel, mid size towel and large towel. For some reason, Nikko decides to provide two sizes only. And strange enough, it seems like what you get depends on the mood of the house keeping. For my 5 days stay there, sometimes I get face + large towel, sometimes mid-size + larget towel....it's different everyday. And on the last day, the house keeping decided not to give me tooth brush too. Frankly, I did not need to use all those towels and I had my own toothbrush, but as a five star hotel Nikko should live up to its expectation.

Lobby: Nikko set another standard in five star hotel of having no sitting area in the lobby. The lobby of Nikko is of a fair size, not big, but surely has room to put in couple sofa or chairs. It seems like Nikko doesn't care about the elderly, kids or people with diability. If someone really need to sit, they have to sit at the lobby cafe. Probably this is how Nikko decides to make some extra bucks.

Staff: Most of the staff are full of smile and very helpful. The friendliness of the staff there is among the best I have ever seen. However, this can never make up for the cockroach I have seen.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank AdamWee
BorostyanM, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Dear Mr Wee,

Thank you for your feedback. In the first instance, I am pleased that you rated our service as 5 stars. However, I was extremely concerned to read your comments on the guest room, and especially what you experienced inside the room. It is simply not acceptable and I would certainly like to change your perception of the hotel. The Hotel is currently undertaking a multi-million dollar refurbishment program and we still have several lower floors to complete over the next 12 months.

As a result of your experience, I have extended an offer to you to return to the hotel and make amends for this one off experience. As you will note by previous reviews, the hotel is highly regarded by the majority of guests who stay with us. I will be sending my offer in the mail to your attention.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Borostyan
dullsville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We booked in advance direct with reservations{ big mistake never again the rates dropped considerably bad luck to us! } for an executive level room for our anniversary and of course looked forward to the trip for months. After a rocky start to our arrival with taxi drivers who either do not know where the Nikko is??? or do not want to go there? we finally arrived up at the executive floor- there are things that they do very well here and other aspects that need work for eg: no welcome verbal or otherwise ,no cool drink or towel remember its always so so hot and you have just got off a long flight
Despite having made a booking with non smoking request we were still given a smoking room so little care taken to check your needs or what you have paid for
The bathroom amenities could be greatly improved they were cheap and nasty
The staff kept telling us that they were not busy as it was Ramadan so service should have been excellent.
The hotel has great F&B options and is pleaant and modern- the beds are very very hard as are the pillows like rocks see housekeeping for variety
The executive lounge is great ,one of the best its a great room with an outdoor balcony so you can check out the lights at night and the city by day, there is a lot of construction going on but that will not disturb your stay, the quality of the breakfast eg smoked salmon and the snacks provided throughout the day are fantastic tasty healthy varied each day . We were there for a week and rarley had to eat out, going back to the hotel for afternoon tea was a terrific bonus and the free internet is useful also
Thankyou to the staff there who looked after us very well - Keegan and Mark
The first room we were allocated was missing mostly everything tea, coffee minibar and bathrobes towels- pretty sloppy and the standard of english of the phone operators is bad to try and get these things delivered.
We asked for another room as things were getting too hard and recevied an upgrade and recognition for our anniversary - cake flowers fruit etc The Hotel seemed to respond only when you told them what you needed to have a good stay so dont be shy
The breakfast in the main restaurant is not as impressive as you would like, no low fat milk only childrens cereals for some reason and very very busy even when the hotel is not full so yes expect queues and bad service here
Housekeeoping was ok overall apart from the initial problems, the pool is a lovely haven to escape to each day the gym is small but well equipped and the porters are friendly and helpful but beaware of their kick back relationship with the taxi drivers, they are required to use a meter and of course they do not but one crook we had had the meter on and the total was 60ringits and then he demanded 100 ringits because he said the porter had made a deal with him - taxi drivers always the worst profession you will come across
They have new owners and apparently the staff were nervous about this transition and their future.
They have a lot of competition in that area with the brand new Doubletree by HIiton close by and the citiclub hotel also both very nice
we would stay again for a good price this time in the executive club only but there are so many great choices in KL you do not really need to
Keep an eye on your clothing- housekeeping took 2 pieces of our clothing to launder without being asked to -that was weird!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Nikko KL again for 3 nights from 24 Aug. My previous stay at this hotel was in July 2009. This time I booked through asiatravel.com which offered a Pay 2, Stay 3 nights deal and it turned out to be a highly lucrative deal. I have been familiar with the hotel being a repeat guest and I noticed that the quality/decor of rooms has been well maintained.

I noticed one additional service that I am not sure was available earlier and that is an hourly shuttle to KLCC which otherwise is a short walk away. Instead they should have one for Bukit Bintang (BB) but that is just a suggestion. For me it does not matter as I have a local associate who is more than willing to accompany me to BB so don't need a shuttle.

One pleasant surprise I noticed in the buffet breakfast spread is an inclusion of vegetarian chinese dishes on the Asian food counter. This is a boon for vegetarians who have to otherwise depend only on breads, fruits and cereals besides a couple of standard options such as hash browns and baked beans. The mock meat based vegetarian chinese is a delight for vegetarians with a craving for local Asian taste. Moreover, this time I also noticed a live noodle counter which also was another option for vegetarians.

I would suggest to TRIPADVISOR to add VEGETARIANS as guest class when you ask us to recommend hotels suitable to classes of travellers.

Moreover, the staff is very friendly, polite and attentive all over. I feel apologetic when I contacted housekeeping office and also alerted the front office about my missing cross pen with lots of emotions attached to it. The duty office courteously wrote to me within a few hours confirming that none of the HSKP staff has noticed my pen in the room during the turn-down service. And yes, that was indeed the fact as I found my pen while checking-in at KLIA, entangled in passport pages. So, full marks to the staff for its courtesy.

I will surely stay again and again at Hotel Nikko whenever I travel to KL and I strongly recommend all you regular visitors to Tripadvisor.com to surely consider Nikko KL. I am sure it will not let you down in any aspects of hospitality.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Perth Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

This was the second time that we have stayed at the Nikko Hotel
Location is a great asset to this hotel as it is walking distance to the KLCC Shopping Centre where the Petronas Towers are
Also there is an underpass that goes over the road to a shopping centre with a supermarket & chemist which is very handy
Hotel staff are all very professional & are always there to help no matter what department they are in .Our rooms were exactly what we all booked with a very stress free check in & out .
Rooms are a good size & very clean, the housekeeping do their best to replenish everything in your room when cleaning although sometimes there was a shortage of Towels, we also found this at the Swimming Pool, must have just been a very busy time.
All in all we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for value for money & good shuttle bus service. The Coiffic's Perth Western Australia

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

Compèetition is tough for high quality hotels in KL but Nikko is a sure bet. Excelleent service and rooms and unbeatable offers. Very difficult to beat and very few downsides: Internet price is prohibitive and the swimming pool is nothing special. You can go there without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

We loved this hotel so much that we stayed an extra night at the end of our holiday, as the rest of our holiday was based in south Malaysia. During check in we were upgraded to a premier room which came with a larger bathroom. The lobby is bright, modern and spacious with high ceilings and polished marble. As we arrived very late in the evening we decided to have a drink in the downstairs area which was a mistake as these were very expensive. We didn’t realise that all the top hotels charge quite a lot for drinks in Malaysia.
The room was great, it was clean had a small sofa, small office area and modern in decor. The toilet looks like it came from a spaceship as it comes with controls (all the toilets in Malaysia come with a facility to wash yourself after your business as it’s a predominately a Muslim country). Great shower with loads of space to put your things down.
If your room comes with breakfast, you’re in for a treat, like all top class hotels in south East Asia there is a huge selection from western through to Malay, Chinese and Japanese. I was having a great time choosing between dim sum, noodles, sambal on vegetables, toast, yoghurt, fruit, etc. As we were there at the weekend, it was really busy and there was a queue to get into the breakfast restaurant. Tip; ignore the queue, walk into the restaurant and find yourself a table and just ask a member of staff to clear the table, it’s so busy that the staff is running round like headless chickens. My only negative point is that they use Lipton tea which I think lacks taste and generally brewed to a weak consistency, sorry I like my tea strong.
I didn’t get round to using the rest of the hotel facilities like the gym or the restaurants as I was keen to see where and what the locals eat. I thought the spa was quite pricey but these are in line with other hotel rates.
The hotel is brilliantly located as it’s next to a station and less than 10 mins walk from Petronas towers and a shopping mall. There is also an hourly hotel shuttle which takes you to the heart of the shopping district during the day.
Can’t recommend this hotel enough as it really made our stay in Kuala Lumpur more memorable. Also last tip; we booked our rooms from a website called hotelscombined which found us the best deal for our rooms.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends