“Worth the stay for the pool & buffet breakfast”

InterContinental Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #11 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
“Worth the stay for the pool & buffet breakfast”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

If you like to shop this is the place for you. Hotel shuttle leaves hourly to the shops & picks you up again. Subway just across the road. The staff here are able to tell you the best way to get to where you want to go. Shopping in Chinatown very intense - preferred shopping in Penang, less intimidating. The hotel is lovely & staff fall all over themselves to look after you - Aussie hotels could learn a lot about "hospitality" from these people.

• Stayed March 2013
GM_ICKL, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Belche,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We thank you for staying with us and for sharing your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. Your positive observations will inspire all of us to work harder and to strive for excellence in providing the best to our guests.

Thank you once again for sharing your kind feedback with us and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Phil Riley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Arrived hotel late in the evening. There was only one staff at the front office counter. I was the only person waiting to be served. The front office staff was busy doing some paper work. Only after a while, he took a look at me and asked me to wait for a while. No greeting, no apology; nothing. 10 minutes later, another staff came out from the front office at the back of the counter. Again no greeting, no apology and of course no smile. He took my booking confirmation and proceeds to check-in for me. Half way checking in, the first staff has finished
with his paper work. He just passed my booking confirmation over to the first staff and left the counter. The front office staff did not look into my booking in details. I booked a weekend package with late check out at 4pm. He did not inform me about the breakfast venue too. Only after I told him about my package, then he started to look into the details. This was my first encounter with Intercontinental Kuala Lumpur.

The intercontinental Kuala Lumpur underwent a refurbishment exercise after taking over from the previous Nikko Hotel. The fresh look of the lobby is marvelous and super posh. My newly renovated room is well appointed. Unfortunately they had forgotten about renovating the bathroom.

Breakfast at the lobby floor was excellent with a very good selection of food. The service again was poor. At the entrance of the restaurant, the lady asked for my room number and I was left to look for my own table. Nobody asking me “coffee or tea” but I needed to ask from the waitress myself. My table was cleared when I left my seat to take some more food. The waitress apologized to me and tried hard to look for another empty seat for me. I said thank you to the staff at the entrance after I finished with my breakfast. She did not even take a look at me!

There was no room service in the morning which was very unusual for Intercontinental chain. I put up at other Intercontinental hotels elsewhere and they even clean up your room on your check out day.

Checking out was fine. The front office staff (Kelvin, if my memory was right) was very polite and professional. Overall, the hotel has the hardware but the software is far below the Intercontinental’s standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Huat88,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate your interactions with the staff marred your experience, and prevented you from being able to fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had alovely 2 nights at this Intercontinental Hotel in Kuala Lumpur. The staff was welcoming and the food (breakfast only) was delicious and plentiful.

It's a great location within walking distance of the Petronas towers and the Kuala Lumpur tower. After our day long tour we walked to a small Italian restaurant close to the towers and then walked back to the hotel without any problems. Some people in our group had fears about walking downtown at night, but we were aware of our surroundings at all times and felt very safe.

The room was huge! A large king size bed with a couch and desk area. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub area.

The only issue we had with this hotel is that my husband was unable to give his "priority club" card when we checked in. We wanted to earn points with this stay but due to our tour group rate they denied him this offer!

Also be aware that on Mondays there is no access to the Petronas Towers. Our tour group was there this day! Oh well...we enjoyed a cocktail at the adjoining KL Towers rooftop bar/restaurant called Atmosphere 360. It's a revolving restaurant with incredible views! The manager was very nice and allowed us to sit and have cocktails for an hour or so.

Overall, this is a wonderful hotel. Hopefully, someday we'll return to Kuala Lumpur!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights here, and generally were pleased with it. We typically look for local hotels so this was a treat for us. Contrary to some other reviews, we thought the room was very nice, and the pillows and bed VERY comfortable, even indulgent. We liked the microfiber pillows so much we are trying to find them here in the US. We didn't use the pool or gym, but thought the internet was fine and a good price (free). For under US$135, taxes included, this hotel is a good value.

Location is less than a 10 minute walk to the Petronas Towers, which helped when I walked there at 8 AM to secure 2 tickets for a 4 PM tour of the Skybridge & Observation Deck. The lines form early and sell out quickly, so don't wait till the last minute. Senior citizens (62?) get a break at RM 40, but bring a copy of your passport for proof. For other sightseeing, I recommend a guide because the hotel isn't near much else, unless you feel like riding the rapid transit lines. We took the KL Ekspres in from the airport to KL Sentral, but then it is a 20-25 minute taxi ride to the hotel. Beware if you're depending on the Ekspres outside "normal" working hours. It doesn't run early in the morning so if you have a morning international flight (e.g., 9 AM) you'll need a taxi to the airport.

The Serena Restaurant in the hotel is pretty good and not too expensive for a hotel restaurant (US$50 for 2). The Malaysian dishes are yummy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

On the last night of our short stay we were upgraded to a suite on the top floor - very spacious and comfortable.
The service at the Club lounge was excellent and Benjamin catered to our every need. Special thanks to him.
The hotel is in a great location but for those who do not want to walk far the regular shuttle bus service was available.
Breakfast was served in a huge, bright and atmospheric area. Outside seating was available next to waterfalls and a large fish tank. The range of food was impressive and the service was impeccable. Thank you Jason.
A relaxing and memorable stay.
Highly recommended

Room Tip: If possible and you want to spoil yourself - go to the top.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel location is fantastic, the public areas are pretty spectacular, and the rooms are spacious. I particularly liked the size of the bed which was huge, and there was a good number of amenities provided.
I had room service dinner one night and the food was nice and service quick so no complaints there. I also used the pub/bar in the Hotel which was nice enough but closed quite early.
I visited the swimming pool one day but left shortly after (without entering the pool) because it just wasn't well maintained.
Areas for improvement would be the overall cleanliness of the bathroom in the room as this had a few concerning marks and smells. Staff were nice enough but didn't go out of their way.
A good stay overall, and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. it is a very beautiful hotel the Lobby and the rooms are decorated tastefully. the room is spacious.....walking distance to the Petronas twin towers although i'm not sure I would do that again it was hot. The breakfast was great lots of families. Entertainment wise there is nothing exciting about it at all....not even a bar.....very boring and dead so I often went off to other places for that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo