“Well worth it's No 1 spot”

Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #5 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
London, United Kingdom
“Well worth it's No 1 spot”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Having been born in Malaysia and living in Kuala Lumpur for much of my childhood then on into my late 20's, KL is a city I know well. I now return regularly and have constantly witnessed its dramatic change since the 1980's. Sometimes I stay in my father's apartment out there and sometimes in hotels, which is a welcome treat. This time I stayed with my girlfriend in the Shangri-La. It was my first time as a resident guest there.

We had looked into staying at Villa Samadhi in Jalan Madge, which to all accounts is a fantastic boutique concept that some of my friends have given high acclaim to, but I wanted to be nearer to the heart of things in the city, so the Shangri-La was selected for a 3-night/4-day stay from 28 - 31 October.

I was not disappointed. We chose a Horizon Club room and this was worth every ringgit of the additional cost. You get you own Horizon Club floor with full access to the Horizon Club lounge where you have your all-inclusive breakfast (an incredible selection) and free access to it throughout your time there, which includes the following complimentary benefits: WiFi, drinks & snacks, afternoon tea & accompanying food, plus free cocktails from 5pm - 7pm. The cost of purchasing all of this either in the hotel or outside would far exceed the additional charge paid for our club room. If you are in KL on business and away from the hotel throughout the day, then maybe you would not make use of such benefits and it might be more cost effective to take a standard room.

Our club room was very spacious and quiet, we looked out onto the Menara Tower. It was a very good size with a small seating area by the window, which would class as a mini-suite in some hotels. The bed was a proper super-king size. The bathroom was large and well appointed. Twin basins separated an enclosed walk-in shower cubicle from a separate bath, allowing two people to comfortably use the bathroom at the same time without bumping into each other. Service throughout the hotel from the room staff through to catering, concierge, portering, reception and other support staff was exceptional, especially in the Club Lounge. Help and courtesy where continually on hand.

The hotel has all the other usual trappings you would expect - fine dining restaurants, 24-hour cafe, shopping, sumptous lobby drinks lounge, swimming pool with pool and snack bar, health spa and gym, along with full business services, including conference and meeting rooms. This is a world class hotel that is right up there with some of the international best, and because it is in Malaysia, prices are way below what you would expect to pay for this level in Europe or the States. No wonder it leads the others as TripAdvisors Number 1 luxury hotel in KL.

To sum up: centrally located, lavish, comfortable, high-end service and value within it's class. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: I am told the rooms facing KLCC have a good view. We had a room facing Menara Tower in the opposite...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MindsetSynergy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,441)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Beautiful hotel, located in just about the right spot as Petronas towers and KL tower are within walkable distance. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast- fabulous, one needs to tuck into it very well and then go sightseeing. We only needed fluids for the rest of the day as we toured the place. The monorail station is just about 250mts from the hotel which is of great help. Overall, very impressed with the hotel which added to a memorable visit of Malaysia.

Room Tip: A room facing the Petronas towers on the higher floors is worth a mention
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank stariderc
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the KL Shangri-La for 5 nights in October of 2012. We booked the Horizon Club rooms since we already had a good experience with their level of services when we visited Singapore early this year. We were surprised when they offered to upgrade our rooms to a suite level. It was certainly a plus since we were travelling with our two children. The room had a study/living room and an additional bedroom. The bathroom was roomy with a very good shower facilities and the same level of great amenities that is the standard of Shangri-La. They offered free Wi-fi in the room which served as a major plus to our whole family; especially my daughters who constantly log on their smart phones.

The best part of the Horizon Club is their high afternoon tea and evening cocktails. We did not need to go out for additional dinner. The food and free beverages (including liquor) was a large benefit to save time and money.

Another plus side of the hotel is its location. Monorail station is located about 5 to 10 minutes walk and this connects you to all the major attraction and shopping areas in KL. We didn't need to take a taxi unless we were really tired to walk.

The disappointment were their swimming pool and spa. Swimming pool was because of the size and quality compared to other Shangri-La's I've visited; Hong Kong and Singapore. It was a very boring place to swim in and my daughters and I couldn't find ourselves enjoy it longer than 1 hour or so. The spa was a disappointing because they didn't allow my daughters in alone due to their age. They said they only allowed 18 years and older in the spa. So, our daughters had to go up to our rooms in their wet swimsuits. This was strange because we didn't have any issues with the other Shangri-La's we visited.

But the spa facility itself were satisfying.

Overall, it was a very comfortable and relaxing stay with a great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jongyul
London UK
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at the Shangrila in November for 3 nights as part of the trip to Asia. Normally I stay at the Horizon Club and this time there is no exception.

When I arrived at the KLIA, I approach the Shangri-la desk before arrival hall. Remy was very friendly and helpful to give me various options to get into the hotel. I decided to take a taxi and Remy helped me purchase the token, carry the luggage and find a taxi (since I booked a bigger car).

Once arrived at the hotel my luggage was taken care of. I was escorted to the Horizon Club lounge for check in. There was a queue so I was invited to have a drink in the lounge while they processed the check in. The check in process took longer than expected but that was due to my request to change my room type from twin to king.

Overall it’s an excellent hotel. The pro and con of my stay are:

Cons:

• The deluxe room is smaller than expected. Having said that it was well appointed and designed. It is not as “new” as some of the competitors.
• The area near the pool might need refreshment. Pool area very noisy due to traffic and construction work (not hotel’s fault)
• Some areas in the hotel (corridor) smells smoky
• Club lounge could be noisy at certain time (high occupancy)

Pro:

• Food quality in the lounge was good. The same to the lobby lounge, room services and other restaurants
• Location of the hotel is fantastic. Right in the city centre but also has a very green feeling
• Service: from poolside, check in to F&B. Very consistent. During my stay my partner was ill. The team members couldn’t have done more to make sure that everything was ok. Special thank to Horizon Club manager Kat.
• Bathroom amenities are of high quality and standard.
• Very good gym with day light, good sauna/Jacuzzi and changing facilities

I had wished to stay at the “newer” hotel when I checked in, but the service delivered at the Shangrila reconfirms it’s number 1 status on Tripadvisor. Will I come back to Shangrila when I am in Kuala Lumpur? Definitely. And it will be on the Horizon Club

Room Tip: Rooms facing the twin tower have better city view, rooms facing the back are quieter Try Horizon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jtung74
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the Shangri La Kuala Lumpur for the first few nights of our trip around Malaysia. The hotel is located a short walk away from KLCC centre.
We stayed in a Horizon Club room and it was well worth the extra money. Breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktails were included. Staff were very freindly and nothing was too much trouble. Would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Natalie L
sa
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The pick up from the airport and check in were easy and excellent. However the room and overall facilities are tired and it clearly needs a refresh. We had a premier king room and although adequate it feels dated and a tad tacky. The bed was extremely comfortable and the staff very accommodating. Room service was fabulous and yummy. We wouldn't come back back to this hotel and would pick a more modern option. The whole hotel smells like cigarettes which is really disappointing.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angelah321
Sydney
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have travelled to KL on several occasions and I will now stay at nowhere else but 'The Shang', as many affectionately call it. The facilities, rooms, dining, staff are all superb and I would struggle to find fault with a single aspect of the hotel.
On this visit, I was upgraded to the Horizon Club room, which gives you a couple of extra trimmings, including better toiletries, a Nespresso coffee machine (sadly, no proper milk in the fridge!), and access to the Horizon Club, which gives you a private space in which to enjoy buffet breakfast an after-work canapes and cocktails. Given its size and the fact that it's more catered to the business traveller, its menu choices are more limited than the huge buffet hall on the ground floor, but that wasn't an issue for me.
All up, another very good stay and I look forward to being back again soon!

Room Tip: Get a high floor for a good view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business