“Rightly ranked as no. 1!!!”

Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #5 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was looking for a place to spend my first anniversary with my wife and I decided on Shangri-La mainly becuase it was ranked as the no. 1 hotel in KL. To be honest, I was a little skeptical as Shang has been around for a long time while there have been many new hotels which came up recently.

But after staying there, and comparing with some of the other top hotels in KL, I am truly convinced that Shangri-La is the best hotel in KL.

Everything was excellent - from the front-desk checking in, to the lobby, to the room, to the restaurant.

We were fortunate as we were upgraded to a Suite. The suite was clean and had everything we wanted - and more! Expresso machine, comfortable bed, top quality toiletries, 3 flat-screen TVs, rain shower, walk-in wardrobe... the list goes on!

The minor complain I have is that I told them it was my anniversary but they did not seem to have done anything (no flowers, cakes etc.). But perhaps they upgraded us because of that? In any event, we had such a wonderful stay that it really did not matter in the end!

We had our dinner at the Lemon Garden Cafe. The buffet spread has to be the best in town! They even served lobster that night. The deserts were wonderful too. We had breakfast there the next morning and the spread again was extensive!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mun Onn L
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Wow! Perfect in every way. Gorgeous hotel. Beautiful rooms and bathrooms. Great pool. Great location. Food was amazing and sooooo cheap...$40 for 4 large meals for room service! Breakfast- wow! We were flying out with 2 young chidren,they gave us a beutuful box to fill with their delectable pastries from the buffet for the trip- thank you!!
Free shuttle to shopping/ business district. Fabulous service. Will be back!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank marcnat
Reviewed October 3, 2012

There's no doubt that this is a great hotel and iof 5 star standard. I will say this first, however. I prefer the mandarin oriental. It just had a shine that I felt was missing here.

Check in was quick and friendly. The room was as expected and described on the website. Always a bonus when that Hapens. Fresh fruit in the room and good mini Bar selection and toiletries. It is about a 7 minute walk to the towers. That's fine in the day but I wouldn't walk it alone at night.
You have to walk down a busy stretch of bars for the younger crowd. I didn't feel safe in any taxis other that the ones parked at out hotel. That's because I was a solo female of course and was sticking to the travellers code of conduct, be careful what taxis you get in.

There is a choice of restaurants. I ate in Arthur's bar as I was staying at the hotel alone and thought a female alone would be better suited here. To be honest I felt that service was poor and could see the couples being served quicker and with more attentive service. I couldn't help but feel it was because I was alone. I ate quickly and left for the hotels large, buzzing lounge on the ground floor. Service here was much better and friendly. There was a band and singer every night of the weekend and the place was alive. I really enjoyed myself. The pool has some happy hour offers early evening and the food was nice there too.

Breakfast= honestly fantastic. Best I've had anywhere in the world.

The pool was nice. Again, it doesnt compare to the mandarins.

Overall, I decided to stay here rather than the mandarin because I found it to be much better value for money and of course, the reviews on here are fabulous. Definitely a hotel to try and I would certainly stay here or at other shangri-la's in the future. A terrific experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Micmac85
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The shangri la KL is fabulous. the lobby is really nice and there is a really nice smell as soon as you walk in. This was our second stay, unfortunately we did not get upgraded this time, so our room was smaller, but still well decorated and very comfortable.
Location is good, close to the monorail (about 3-4min walk) and KLCC/petronas twin towers (about 10 min walk). Staff are very friendly, but maybe a little less so than i remembered last time.
The breakfast again was fantastic!! so much variety, different sections for malay, chinese, indian and western. Made to order eggs, a really large bakery section and a chocolate condue fountain. Really enjoyed out stay yet again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bas17
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I could not fault this hotel. Our family of four was booked in for one night between flights from Puket to London. However on arrival I was suffering from acute appendicitis and underwent an emergency appendicectomy that night. My daughter stayed with me (spending five nights at the hotel) and my husband and son flew home as scheduled. I had two nights at the hospital and then three at the Shangri-La. Whilst the comfort was very welcome, it was the service of the staff members which stood out - even when things went wrong, such as one night when we could not get water out of the bath tap. This was around 10.30 at night, but within minutes an engineer was at the door to sort it out. We ate our evening meals in the lobby lounge, which although huge and high ceilinged managed to be cosy and intimate. Ija our waitress was a star. The Business Suite (free) was really useful too for emailing home and printing out boarding cards for our flight home.

Room Tip: Executive rooms have a bath and separate shower stall.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hipposWiltshire_UK
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Chose to stay at Shangri-la KL because other reviews mentioned how great breakfast was. I wasn't disappointed. I thought the Hilton KL did an amazing breakfast but Lemon Garden's may reign supreme.

It is like Kitchen Stadium in there. There is sooo much variety - Malay, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Western, noodle station, yoghurt station (including quark!) plus a mountain of breads, cakes and pastries (including nonya kuih!), cereals, juices and the biggest raspberries I've ever seen. Oh, and a chocolate fountain (actually, there were two - white and dark choc)! And it was all extremely well executed, beautifully presented and fresh fresh fresh. Unlike many hotel kitchens that try to do a global kitchen but end up with food that tastes like it has been sitting around since man discovered fire, this breakfast should satisfy even the fussiest eater! (well, maybe not Steve Jobs....)

Service also great - swift check in at 6am, high room facing towers and comp wifi. And birthday cake, beautiful chocolates and fruit platter sent for birthday.

For the kids, there are lush landscaped gardens with huge koi pond that our 5 and 2 year old loved. There is a kiddies pool and also kids activities after Sunday lunch - sand painting, balloon animals, popcorn and fairy floss.

The pool area has a good sized pool with plenty of chairs and towels. Gym is also well equipped.

Walk to KLCC and Bukit Bintang, although this may be a bit difficult with young children in the heat/humidity and with pedestrian unfriendly KL roads.

My only slight criticism would be the very traditional decor in the (Deluxe) room. The room was, as expected, clean and functional and pleasant; just nothing that you would say "wow" about.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank poohpawsAustralia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We found this to be a marvellous hotel, modern, well run and nothing was too much trouble for the concierge, who services we used a great deal. Indeed all the staff welcomed us wherever they worked.

The hotel is well located, at the foot of the communication tower and a few minutes walk from the Petronus tower. The room was spacious and extremely well appointed leaving an impression of luxury. Its lift service was exemplary. It may seem a pernickity point, but I get so annoyed at skyscraper hotels were you can wait for 5 minutes to get down stairs in the morning.

The breakfasts in their restaurant was buffet style and had everything you could wish for to suit both the eastern and western style. Chefs were available to cook eggs however you liked them.

Everything about this hotel is perfect: the beautiful lobby, the excellent service, the nicely appointed room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple