“Positively five star”

Ranked #5 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
London, United Kingdom
“Positively five star”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Well what can i say ? this hotel is positively perfect from the moment to arrival to the moment of checkout!
We stayed here for a couple of days last weekend and everyone and everything was efficient,the staff are very accommodating to the point where in the club lounge they went out of their way to find a quiet area to feed our rowdy toddler!
Our room was very high up and the views were amazing we had a suite and interconnecting double room the rooms are really well furnished with great marble bathrooms!
The impressive foyer was beautiful, the swimming pool area a good size and spa staff great nothing was too much for the staff here i have travelled extensively but the staff at this hotel truly know customer service!
The restaurants serve excellent food and breakfast catered for every palate imaginable what a selection !
Its a very central location and to be perfectly honest there are no minus points to this hotel my only problem was i didnt stay for long enough so Shangri la i will be back!!!

Room Tip: Rooms high up have amazing views of the city
2 Thank anaher5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We love the location. It is close enough to KLCC to walk, and I suppose close enough to the Pavillion / Bukit Bintang shopping areas to either catch a 1 min cab ride or take a long 20 min stroll.

There were a couple occasions as we were walking back to the hotel, when we were approached by female sex workers (just outside the main entrance, and also by the side doors). We mentioned it to Hotel Security, but they did nothing about it as it was outside their premises. Pity, as it brings down the "classiness" of the place when there are prostitutes hanging around outside.

The rooms were getting a bit old and dated though - perhaps it's about time they start thinking of doing a major renovation / upgrade ?

Absolutely love the breakfast buffet, I think it is one of the best in town.

2 Thank MacGrumpy
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband, my 4year old daughter and I went to Kuala Lumpur for the first time last week and this hotel was just excellent.

The service and attitude was excellent, from our experience.

We had a suite which was very nice, though not as spacious as some others. It had almost everything we could need, including a colour printer, scissors, staplers and all sorts of stationery, a very useful umbrella, nespresso coffee machine, kettle, 3TVs, DVD player, iron in the dressing area, and just the usual stuff. The only missing thing, which I thought was quite basic, was tea, though I'm sure they would have brought that if asked for.

The toiletries were nice L'Occitane. There was a retractable clothing line, which was very useful when coming back from the elephant parc or just the pool. The bathroom has his and hers sinks, a comb, hair band which was valuable for me, toothbrushes which I also used as my toothbrush was crushed in my bag and all the other usuals.

The bath had a shower with it. I just think it's so annoying when there isn't. The shower cubicle had a bench as well, and that is a first I saw. Very useful for people with a weak back like me! The toilet had an in-build bidet with a retractable spray jet. Something I prefer to bidets. However, there were no separate water hose, for people who prefer that option.

The electronic curtains in the bedroom were useful too from the bed, and it's always nice to have a clock with local time in the room.

All in all, everything was great. We got a complimentary late check out, as our flight was at night. They even offered to do the housekeeping on the day of our check out.

As part of our stay, we had access to the Horizon club lounge, with complimentary cakes and hot or soft beverages throughout the day and sandwiches from 3-5pm. The dress code is smart casual.

The breakfast buffet at the Lemon Garden is AMAZING, the best we've personally been to. (about two dozens of 5stars in about a dozen countries spread among the both of us.) There is the usual continental breakfast plus Indian breakfast, Chinese breakfast and Malaysian breakfast. Eggs to your choice, pancakes to your choice, noodle soup to your choice. My daughter especially liked the white and milk chocolate fountains. The kuih tapis was excellent, a novelty for us.

The only down bit is that sometimes the cutlery and plates are not immaculately clean I thought, but then I'm a little particular on that.

The Chinese restaurant, Shang Palace, was a very nice experience. Excellent service, decor, food, just everything. And it's not extortially expensive. The portions are very big. A small portion was good enough for two adults of medium appetite. They had nice cutlery and plates for kids, but not a kids menu. However, a lot of the food is not spicy, and good enough for my difficult daughter to enjoy.

The Japanese restaurant Zipangu, was less of a nice experience, mostly due to the lack of good service. There was no follow up on our orders, the waitress was less than helpful with the menu, and there never seemed to be a waiter available when we needed one. There was no kids menu again. The restaurant is rather noisy, as there was an open kitchen, and the lights are rather dim, if that's what you are looking for. The food I thought could have been better. Oh, and there was no bento boxes. Most of the food in the menu are cooked with alcohol in it, but they can make it without upon request.

All in all though, a very nice experience at the hotel, with a great location. So close to the twin towers, KL tower, the parc etc. The monorail is helpful and cheap, but not if you have a pushchair. There are a LOT of stairs and no lifts at all and no escalators for most parts.

I hope this (very) long review is helpful!

4 Thank Monica G
Quatre Bornes
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We spent three nights at Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur last week and we were very pleased with the hotel and the staff. Checkin and checkout were very quick and the Club Lounge was fantastic.
The only sad note is that despite having paid with my credit card on check out, they still held the reservation amount, which I made when I booked online a week before our arrival. I was not informed of this when checking out and they could have settled my bill from the deposit and charged only for the extra. The money will be released in fifteen days I was informed and it got me on some embarassing moment when I was trying to make purchases with my cc.

2 Thank VikMau
taipei
Reviewed August 25, 2012

the hotel meets the standard for the hotel group but the room is a bit out dated. same as the equipments and furnitures in the room. But i like the nice lobby and the service, staff are helpful and always smile. Restaurants are good especially the chinese restaurant.

unfortunately i can hear the music from the closed window all night long, the noise is from the pub street so guess will be fine for those who are in kl for purely relax trip and love clubbing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Victoria
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Shangri-La Hotel deserves the No.1 rating. Hotel has a nice ambience with many restaurants, for somewhere casual to eat Arthur's Bar & Grill is good. Our room was a good size nicely furnished with a large marble bathroom. All staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travellerAust2
Oslo
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed a total of three nights at this hotel in july and wished we could have stayed longer.

From the moment we entered the hotel until we left it was simply perfect. I had a birthday the day we arrived and the staff not only gave me a flower as I arrived, they also upgraded us to a better room and gave us cake and chocolate in the room. Had we told them that we had just gotten engaged they probably would have done even more, but I can't imagine our stay being any better than it already was.

The restaurants were wonderful, although the chinese one was a bit large and without enough guests to fill it up it felt a bit empty. The food however was wonderful in all the restaurants that we tried at the hotel.

The breakfast was like nothing we've ever had before. It included every style of breakfast you could think of, and it is well worth to set aside a bit more time in the morning to really enjoy it.

The service was genuinly great and warm. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome.

Location was also great, just 20 minutes walk to Farenheit and Pavillion and 5 minutes walk to Petronas Twin Towers.

One advice however, buy an umbrella for the afternoon showers and don't take a taxi home from the shopping malls. We spent almost 1,5 hours in trafficjam on a route we could have walked in 20 minutes. The hop-on-hop-off bus is great in order to get to the birdpark or other attractions outside of the city, but with the heavy traffic in Kuala Lumpur don't use it all the time. We were stuck on this bus for 2-3 hours one time because of heavy rain and trafficjam.

I would recommend the Shangri-La in Kuala Lumpur to anyone! The beds were great, service was excellent, food and breakfast was wonderful and the whole hotel felt like pure pleasure! We cannot wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple