“Didn't want to leave!”

Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #5 of 350 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I decided to surprise my husband with a one-night stay at Shangri-La as a treat for our wedding recently. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Having stayed just the previous week at another 5-star hotel in Singapore, I couldn’t help but compare the two. Our experience at the Shangri-la KL was far better in many aspects.

It started with the warm reception the minute we entered the hotel. There is always someone there to greet you and make sure you are attended to. I booked a Horizon Club executive room, so after leaving my luggage with the concierge, the staff who greeted me personally led me to the Club lounge for check-in. Check-in was a little delayed but early on the staff was able to foresee this, and they immediately ushered us into the lounge for a welcome drink to wait while we were being checked in. The wait was well worth it because we got upgraded to a Premium Selection Suite (high floor, KLCC view and smoking room for my husband) as we were newly-weds! We stayed for the afternoon tea which came with the Club privileges.

When we went to the suite, our luggage was already neatly placed in the walk-in closet. Needless to say, we were extremely impressed and overwhelmed with the opulence of the suite. It was spotlessly clean and the décor and lighting was perfect. The attention paid to detail was superb - shortly after arriving in our room, a staff came to deliver a tray of cupcakes and chocolates for us, which was a lovely touch, but we didn’t expect that later, on top of that, a front desk officer Marlya would deliver a bouquet of flowers for me and another box of chocolates as a gift for our honeymoon. These small gestures really made a huge difference to our overall experience.

The Club’s evening cocktails seem to be very popular with the Horizon Club guests as it was almost full house when we were there, but everyone always manages to find a table. The array of delicious finger food and drinks for both the afternoon tea and evening cocktails are wide and filled our stomachs well. The ambience at the Club lounge was really cozy and comfortable – we could stay there all day. Staff was excellent – extremely attentive but discreet. Breakfast here was also superb, despite the smaller range of food variety compared to the Lemon Garden cafe.

We were planning on going for a swim but found the pool area rather un-inviting. The staff there were superb as always but the pool itself was dated and plain-looking. There also didn’t seem to be much privacy. So we opted to use the indoor Jacuzzi and sauna instead. These were separated for men and women though, so we couldn’t spend the time together as a couple. The jacuzzi was a little dated.

Location of the hotel was good – The Weld shopping mall has Watsons’ and Guardian for toiletries and personal items, ATMs were available at Hap Seng, and our dinner was at Hard Rock Café. KLCC and Pavilion were both 5-10 minute walks away.

All in all, my short stay at the Shangri-la KL was fantastic. Service can be a little slow, but your requests do come in the end and the graciousness of the staff more than made up for it. My husband was definitely very pleasantly surprised and I didn’t want to leave!

Room Tip: Get a high floor with KLCC view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,411)

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My job involves a lot of global travel, so I've experienced a wide range of hotels and service across the various countries. Out of all the hotels I've stayed in, the Shang' KL is probably my favourite. Aside from the fact that the immaculate hotel facilities, the friendliness of the staff and the service you get is second to none. From being greeted by a smiling member of staff each time you walk in the door, through to having your laundry packaged like the day you bought it and returned in a lined hamper basket as if you'd won them in a competition, it's the fact that you get made to feel welcome and like a VIP the entire time which gives the Shang' their well-deserved five stars.

Aside from gushing about the service, the Shang' KL has the best gym facilities you'll ever find in a hotel. In fact, their gym is bigger and better than the gym I have a regular membership with. The breakfast spread in the Lemon Garden is unmatched and stands as the baseline for breakfasts in my team's opinion. The sushi in Zipangu is also the best I've ever had (though it comes at a price!).

Overall, there's nothing I can fault the Shang' on. Even so, if you have an issue during your stay, it's more than likely that this hotel will do their utmost to address your needs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank b4rk13
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed 1 night in a superior room which included a buffet breakfast for 2, free wifi and parking. The service was fantastic and the staff were very friendly and always ready to assist, really top-notch for a 5-star hotel. The room wasn't big but well furnished. The pillows were very comfortable! The buffet menu selection was very good, though not the best. I rate the one from Sheraton better because it has freshly squeezed fruit juices. The location was very convenient as it was near the LRT and also within walking distance to all the shopping malls, eg Pavillion and Bukit Bintang area. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to everyone staying in KL!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels to date but this one takes the cake!! We stayed in the Horizon club and were upgraded to a suite. It was a big suite with huge curved corner windows in both the bedroom and the lounge, a big comfortable bed and a lovely bathroom. Our fruit bowl was well stocked and replenished everyday. As other reviewers have remarked, the Horizon Club is fantastic with delicious breakfasts, afternoon tea and Happy Hour (well 2 hours actually) included in the price. All the food is superbly presented and delicious. The actual hotel is very well equiped and a total feast to the eyes. We used the pool and the huge gym area everyday...infact we didn't see as much of KL as perhaps we should have as it was so nice just to relax and enjoy our hotel (and it was the final stop of a rather busy 3.5week holiday) However, it is the staff at Shangri-La that put this hotel in a realm of its own!! From the minute you walk through the lobby doors you are greeted and treated as if you are the only guest staying at there , they are kind, helpful and genuine. The Horizon Club staff are beautifully presented, friendly, warm and respectful. We will always seek out Shangri -La hotels from now on and will definitely stay at the Horizon Club. As an aside...there is a copy of the book Lost Horizon in the bedside table which is the basis for the quality of service and hospitality Shangri-La offer, I purchased it and read it, and now I have a lovely memento of a moment in time almost too good to believe.

Room Tip: Upgrade youself to the Horizon Club if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelabit_NZ
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed here en route to Melbourne for two nights. The staff could not have been more helpful. Breakfast was wonderful, and we also ate our evening meal in the hotel and found it to be excellent. Rooms were great with views over the city. The hotel is well situated with lots to see and do within walking distance/ a short taxi ride away. Don't have time to make use of the pool but it certainly looked lovely from our room! The hotel operates a free bus service to the Petronas Towers Mall, but it is actually very easily accessed by foot via high air conditioned walkways too, so don't be afraid to have a little explore on foot if you fancy it. Treated ourselves to afternoon tea as we waited for our taxi to the airport and can very highly recommend it. We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay at the Shangri-La.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We have just returned back from a 4 night stay at Shangri La. We had booked a club executive suite with airport transfers. We were picked up in a mercedes which was on time. They had chilled bottles of water awaiting in the car. Your also able to access free wifi from the car very good especially if you need to access the net. Upon arriving to the hotel check in was simple and the staff very professional. We were upgraded to one of their suites.

The room had an amazing view from both the lounge room and the bedroom. From our bed at night we had a nice view of petronas towers. The room had an office which also had a toilet off it and a nespresso coffee machine. The bathroom was massive with full bath and shower had two types of shower heads. Top of the range bathroom products provided. Walk in wardrobe with plenty of space to hide away our luggage.

The bed was amazingly comfortable. There was nothing about the room we could fault. Had everything that you could need.

The Horizon Club is definitely a must. The food was exceptional and to very high standards. They have breakfast in the mornings from 630am - 10am then from 3-5pm they have afternoon tea which has a lot of sweet and sandwiches and then from 5-7pm there are cocktails and canapes - Shangri la definitely doesn't skimp on luxury serving top notch cocktails and liquors. The staff in the horizon club were very very polite, professional and helpful on ALL occassions. For smokers there is a room for you also.

When you stay in a club room you also have access to have breakfast down in lemon 2 go cafe which is where other guests have breakfast - you do have a bigger variety down there including a chocolate fountain. they have everything you could expect from a buffet breakfast however if your craving bacon - you wont find any! most likely due to religious reasons.

We also ordered room service a couple of times - you will find that the menu is exactly the same as at lemon 2 go cafe. A must would be try the "Banana Boat" an upper class version of a classic banana split its amazing!!!

We also ate at Arthurs Grill which was a very nice bar. My partner had the steak and he loved it. Food was great.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to all of the major shopping centres for all guests which is great if you cant be bothered walking.

The hotel location is really good... its a 5/10min walk from KLCC Suria. 5min walk from a monorail station and there is also a heap of bars across the road and other restaurants such as TGI Fridays & Hard Rock cafe.

We enjoyed everything about our stay and there is nothing we can fault about it. We didnt have any problems at all with our stay. This is truly an amazing 5 star hotel and we will definitely be staying here every time we return to Kuala Lumpur.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend a club suite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I booked a week at the Shangri-La based on other reviewer's recommendations, and I'm very glad I did. The hotel has an old feel to it but its amenities are modern. The hotel rooms are ample in size, and their bathrooms are not bad. I got the Horizon club room which has included free breakfast and I most certainly recommend for you to get that, their breakfast buffet has one of the best spreads. The hotel itself has about 4 restaurants, of which we've only tried 2, but both were great, particularly the buffets at the Lemon Garden Cafe. Mind you the buffets are expensive but well worth it, they have everything from Asian, European, MIddle Eastern, all kinds of cuisine. My wife and I really enjoyed our stay, and we are definitely coming back to Shangri La.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the petronas towers
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple