Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #5 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We booked this hotel as it was on offer. It was not cheap by all means but we wanted to try it out as we had heard so much about the brand. We were not dissappointed. It was the best hotel experience we have had. We were upgraded for free. The staff at the recepion were very attentive and friendly. Check in was pretty quick. The room was perfect. Luxurious sheets and a stunning bathroom. The facilities are kept immaculately. The colours indoors are reach and really spell luxury. The breakfast buffet was magnificent. The range and quality of food could not be faulted. We had free WIFI as well. We had a memorable stay at this hotel and will definetely return on our next visit to KL.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,328)

Reviewed September 3, 2011

well trained staff and great service. breakfast buffet had the typical huge selection of east and western fares. just do not take the cabs parked at the entrance. they seem to have a higher rate than the norm.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I am regular business traveller to the city and I have always returned to Shangri-la for my stay.
The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city. Most financial institutions have their offices in the nearby vicinity. Sometimes getting to the hotel might be a problem (due to KL traffic). But that is true for most locations and just a normal part of the this city life.
The staff is warm and the wait for either check-in or check-out is minimal. The internet access is fast and reliable. The food is expensive but they have a large choice. I love their pastries.
The rooms are not small and very cozy. If you are facing the Jalan Sultan Ismail road, you might be disturbed by the slight noise from the clubs opposite the road.
All in all a excellent hotel, but a bit expensive.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Went with my family and stayed 5 nights for a shopping trip.

The pros:
1. Location is great, 10 min walk to KLCC mall and 15 min walk to The Bukit Bintang and Pavilion mall
2. We took an Executive and a Deluxe room. Both where excellent and the view of the Petronas towers from the Executive room is very nice.
3. Breakfast has a huge selection, the biggest I have ever seen and was something we looked forwards too.
4. The hotel staff are very polite and helpful
5. Free wireless internet, they even have a LAN cable in the room if you prefer
6. They have a very nice lobby connected to a lobby lounge and a garden outside.
7. Every day they leave 2 small complimentary bottle of water in the room.

The Cons:
1. The pool is very basic and small.
2. The level one Bars and the shops are not very interesting.
3. Across the street from the hotel there is a shady bar with lots of night ladies that stand on the street at night, not very nice but they are harmless and do not bother families walking by.

I think this is an excellent 5 * hotel and I would probably stay there if I go to Kuala Lumpur again.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are great
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Have visited several premium properties in KL and decided to stay at the Shangri-la this time. Honestly, it's the rate that lured me there; else it's un-affordable as far as I am concerned (by KL standards - USD 250++ is way too high).

I am told this property has been renovated and if so has been done very tastefully. The lobby looks rich without going overboard; the lounge spells under stated luxury and the multi cuisine cafe rocks with its decor inside and the lush greenery outside.

Check-in was seamless; professional and with a genuine smile. That kind of welcome is always a sign of a good start. Got in way earlier than the check-in time and did not have to hear any "sounds" of being obliged for being given the room earlier than scheduled. Maybe the Ramadan season spells lower than normal occupancy for most KL hotels - so it may have been no big deal to get the room early. But, from my point of view - its good not to be reminded about the fact - specially after a red-eye flight. So the hotel earned my goodwill.

The room I got was cozy - but felt a bit small based on the layout - though its very well equipped with a functionally correct writing desk; a comfy sofa-chair. A generously proportioned 3 fixture bathroom that was extremely well maintained (no signs of scaling).

Food was nice and the restaurant had no hesitation in meeting special requests for my diet-challenged friend. It's nice to see luxury hotels meeting the client needs like they "want to" and not "have to" attitude.

Location - cannot go wrong. The concierge briefed me on how short a walk it is to KL Tower or to the Twins and the numerous entertainment and dining outlets along the way. The monorail station is about 200mts from the hotel and that can take you as far as mid-valley MegaMall if one is a compulsive shopaholic like my friend is.

Check out is as good as the check-in and there are numerous blue cabs to take you to the KLIA or anywhere else you may wish.

This may be the last time I stay there - but don't get me wrong - I may not get a brilliant rate again - else; this would be my top choice for a stay in KL. Other hotels please forgive me - but Shangri-la truly is Shangri-la.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Umezing
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We just got back from a 4 night stay on Aug 14th at Shangri-La KL. It was our 30th year wedding anniversary.and a room upgrade (including a view of the twin towers ) well 1 tower,The bathroom was large, with bath and a big shower,and a very big bed i think it was a super super king size.
We most definitely enjoyed the buffet breakfast at the Lemon Garden Cafe. Service was fast, many food and delicacy to choose from and all were delicious.loved the indian food 5* for that.
Excellent location,we went to vist indian and china town, Royal Selangor Pewter Factory,
Petronas Twin Towers,Batu Caves ( a must for indian ),elephant sanctuary ,and deer park .all in 3 full days.oh and the Malls.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

After three weeks in Hong Kong Icon Hotel, I arrived Shangrila KL only to find out that the reservation department has made a mistake to change my reservation from Aug to July when I asked for 2 days extension. I did not read the second email carefully, and did not realise there was a mistake. It took over an hour to sort things out, and I arrived at night... The front desk manager came out to apologize and upgrade us to a premium room. But the room smells, I think it was a smoking room before and they had sprayed some kind of air freshner...

Room has vert thick blackout curtain, and I slept well...

Location is good, for the price I paid, it was good value...

Upon checkout, we found out that they could not credit the points to my husband's golden circle no. as they had changed the reservation to my name when they checked us in... Lesson learned, don't wait until last minute to sort things out...

One more thing, be aware of the so call shuttle bus, there was no shuttle bus, at least when I was there, so the concierge put me into a blue taxi, and he did not tell me that I should not pay... So the taxi driver charged me MYR8.5 from the hotel to KLCC, which is only 5 minutes walk... It was my second day in KL, and I did not know any better, so I gave him MYR 10, only to find out later that I was being ripped off... The hotel has paid the taxi driver already as it was supposed to be used as a complimentary shuttle, but the concierge did not communicate well with me, so ask if you are not sure...

One more thing, from hotel to airport, you can ask the driver to use the new toll road, it's a 15 km longer, but a lot less traffic, tell the driver you will tip him MYR10 if he uses the new toll road. It avoids all the city traffic jam and you know it takes only 45 mintues from KLCC to KLIA.

1  Thank VT2369