“Lovely hotel, remarkable location and great views But I have a little complaint”

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #3 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Multan, Pakistan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Mandarin Oriental on a 4 day business trip and found it absolutely awesome from A to Z. No point in Telling u guys how good it is but its a shame that this wonderful hotel had a little flaw.

The room had a card which normally most of the hotels have these days saying that they care about the environment and placing of towels or that card would help them decide whether to change the towel and bed linens or not.
Having said all that, the staff came in at around afternoon to place a tray on your bed asking u about the breakfast u want to have in the morning and SWITCHED ON THE TV WITH THE HOTEL ADVERTISEMENT CHANNEL ON IT.

Now how is this supporting the environment when u are wasting the electricity.

Think About this practice guys, please. I urge u to. Otherwise the hotel was flawless. Probably Better than any that i have stayed in. And the only reason i am not giving u an excellent is the reason I stated.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AtaulMunim
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear AtaulMunim

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and I am glad that overall, you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Your feedback on our support to conserve our environment is much appreciated and our management team will review the issue of electricity consumption for the television. Kindly rest assured that every effort is being made on our support towards our environment.

My sincere apologies for the negative impression reflected on this occasion and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Frank P Stocek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Been to the Mandarin on a number of occasions recently and we have mostly gone to the Mosaic for the buffet. The food and the diversity of choice is absolutely outstanding. Add into the mix the option of the free flow bar and the night becomes even better. Make sure you leave enough room for desserts as they are amazing. Forgot to add that the location of the Mandarin is first class being in the heart of KLCC and in the shadows of the Petronas twin towers.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank valiantlad
Dear valiantlad

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, our buffet spread at Mosaic.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kuching, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We usually stay in one of the 5 star hotels around Pavilion, as my husband and i prefer the shopping in that area. But this last trip, we were in KL for just 2 nights to celebrate my husband's birthday, and we decided to stay at the Mandarin Oriental for its famed service.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, the concierge and reception staff were wonderful. They were quickly welcoming and responsive, and the checking-in was smooth. The room was ready with a baby cot as i had requested, and our luggage was delivered swiftly. The hotel also delivered a plate with glasses of milk, giant chocolate chip cookies, and bars of Lindt chocolate to welcome our 2 young daughters, which so delighted my 4-year-old that she said, "I love this hotel! Let's stay here FOREVER every time we come to KL!!" :)

The room was tastefully decorated and large enough for our family with 2 small kids. The buffet breakfast was ok, with the chicken and beef satay being exceptionally good. The next day was my husband's birthday, and Tania, the guest relations manager, had arranged for a birthday cake and bottle of wine to be delivered to our room as a surprise for my husband. It was a lovely gesture, and much appreciated.

We had hoped to dine at the Mandarin Grill (currently ranked No. 1 of restaurants in KL), but the restaurant does not allow children below 12 years old, though it is possible to sit at the Lounge on the Park with children and order from the Mandarin Grill menu. We didn't do this though.

The Petronas Twin Towers, Suria KLCC, LRT station and Aquaria KLCC are just next door to the hotel. The Symphony Lake behind the hotel has a water fountain with musical light show which we enjoyed watching in the evenings. There is also a very convenient airconditioned walkway from KLCC to Pavilion and Bukit Bintang area which takes about 15 minutes to walk and is easy even with a stroller.

Upon checking out of the hotel, i had inadvertently left several pieces of clothing in the wardrobe, and only realized it when i received an email from Rafia'ah, the hotel housekeeping clerk, the following day. The items were then immediately dispatched by air courier to my home address without charge to me.

All in, the Mandarin Oriental is a fine hotel with excellent service and old world charm. We had a memorable stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Laughly
Dear Laughly

It is wonderful to know that your family had a fantastic stay and that you were well taken care of during your stay with us. Your positive comments towards Tania and Rafiah will certainly motivate them in our mission to completely delight and satisfy our guests.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your family back for yet another memorable stay soon!

Inverness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

I really wanted to give this hotel 5 stars. It is well located in Kuala Lumpur, the staff are really friendly and address you by name, the service us excellent, the room sizes are very generous...what else can I say?

What downgraded it for me was having to pay for WiFi. My wife and I have travelled extensively this year in South East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, the USA as well as the UK. This is the first hotel that I have been asked to pay a separate charge for WiFi. It was explained at check- in that I could upgrade my package to include WiFi, laundry, afternoon tea etc.

This is not only a tourist hotel but a business hotel as well and surely in the 21st Century Mandarin Oriental must recognise that this is a stumbling block to future business and keep up with their competitors.

Certainly when my travel agent submits a list of hotels for our next holiday, I will unfortunately have to think twice about using this brand again. Oh and the food was excellent !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PLP49
Dear PLP49

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us on this occasion.

Concerning the provision of complimentary WiFi service, I would like to share that due to the high costs of quality bandwidth in Kuala Lumpur, most hotels charges for WiFi accordingly. Guests who choose to stay on our Club Floors do receive complimentary internet access. On this note, our hotel provides by far, the highest level of bandwidth in the city and once logged in, you may use up to 6 devices on your account. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has recently launched an initiative in regard to WiFi costs whereby all bookings made via our website are inclusive of free WiFi for all the various packages available on our website.

My sincere apologies on the inconvenience you had encountered on our Wifi service and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your wife back to hotel for a much more seamless stay, the next time.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

I have been staying here more then 5 times.the best service that I can get especially the pool side . friendly. Fast, service, even my baby . They take care of my baby while I am eating.very helpful. And the staff are so aficient. And my favorite staff is Mr abu and Mr dauz. I have stayed jw marriot. Double tree by Hilton and even kl hilton. The pool side staff are no friendly at all.trust me.and experience it n u will believe it.6 star for the pool side....Thank you for your service.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Aida S
Dear Aida S

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were well taken care by our poolside colleagues, Abu and Dauz.

I greatly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your family back to the hotel again for another memorable stay.

Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Mandarin Oriental is truly a 5 Start hotel. I stayed here for 8 nights on a business at end of May, beginning of June. I up-graded my room on arrival to take advantage of the ‘Club Room’ on 24th floor, a very good move indeed. Everything about this hotel expresses professionalism, dedication and service. The hotel has undergone some up-grading since I was last here in 2013 and it has added a beautiful ambiance to all areas.

Even the return of the laundry to your room is an experience with orchids and personal and friendly note in the box.

Dining in the Club Lounge is elegant and above all peaceful and relaxing.

The location of the hotel alongside the PETRONAS Twin Towers is perfect and all areas of nightlife can be easily reached by foot or a very short taxi ride.

Would I stay at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel again, you bet I would and I’m looking forward to enjoying this pleasure again soon – Please.

Room Tip: If you can splash out, up-grade to Club Lounge. Well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Phill2610
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Phill2610

It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular our Club Lounge which is regularly cited for its superlative service and ambience. Your feedback will certainly motivate our staff in our mission to completely delight and satisfy our guests.

We greatly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon for another fabulous stay with us.

Frank P Stock
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is my second stay at Mandarin Oriental KL and I would rate this stay as even better than the previous one back in 2011.

The employees here are all friendly and eager to help. The hotel is gorgeous and the room is huge. The buffet breakfast is a great improvement with much more selection this time vs. 2011. I am not sure if they have a new chef but my husband who is a foodie thought that the food is much better than the last trip. We came here because I am attending a conference and even the conference meals were very good.

The location at KLCC is centralized and convenient. I was able to get my hair blowed dry and styled at a salon on the top floor of KLCC and walked right back to the hotel.

The gym and pool at Mandarin Oriental are also very nice for those who want to work out or just relax pool side.

Bottom line, if you want to splurge on your vacation in Malaysia, this is the place to be.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jls3721
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Jls3721

It is awesome to know that you had another wonderful stay with us. Your feedback will certainly motivate our colleagues to the highest level.

I greatly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.