“Outstanding”

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #4 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 25, 2014

The exceptional service began even when we had just arrived at the hotel. We were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome by the concierge and front desk agent, followed by a fun introduction from the Guest Service Manager, Ms Tania Kawood. She is very friendly and patiently explained each of their facilities in the hotel whilst drove us to our room.
She had prepared all the brochures and information which we might need during our 2 nights trip in KL. After she left our room, my sister was immediately recognize "a sweet treat " from MOKUL. A piece of handwriting welcome note, welcome fruit, and a box of chocolate praline from their Cake Shop. Very personalized.

Let's go back to the room experience. I booked two rooms (1 king bed and 1 twin bed), put the remark if possible we could get a connecting room. Apparently, not only got what we needed, we were given even more. Two spacious connecting rooms with fantastic view to the famous Twin Towers (located at high floor and very comfy bed). By the way, I went to KL with my parents and 2 of my siblings. After traveled all day to the city, it's time for us returned to hotel. And look what have been waiting for us.. We were impressed that an extra-bed has been beautifully put into one of our rooms. It looks like they could read our mind. :)

Not to mention its location is very strategic. Located just next to the famous twin towers, KLCC Suria Mall, Aquaria, and a few minutes walking to the nearest LRT station .

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again in our future trip to KL. Thanks to Tania and team for making our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: High Floor and Petronas Twin Tower view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank smileykeane
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Lisameriana

I am delighted that you and your family had a great stay with us and appreciate your kind praises towards Tania who is indeed one of our Star employees!

It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed the hotel’s strategic location and we look forward to welcome your family back for another memorable stay.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I love the Mandarin Oriental brand and this property certainly lived up to the very high standards of the chain. I was a guest speaker here and did not pay directly for my room but I believe the rate was close to $200 a night which is a steal in my opinion. I was not at the club level this time but my room was excellent as was the spectacular East/West breakfast. The service is elegant, understated and first rate. From toiletries to lobby furnishings everything is quietly elegant. I found time to relax around the splendid pool and the location is very handy just a few steps from the Petronas and KLCC park as I would occasionally find a few hours away from meetings and events and I could just dash out the door to get a sense of the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank James H
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear James H

Thank you for sharing a 5/5 review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay and look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is well located in the heart of the city! Check-in/out were fast and concise and very friendly! I did had a major hiccup! I ate something bad or drank the water they offer @ the pool area and whatever it was it made me super sick to the point that I couldn't move and had to text my boyfriend back in California in order for somebody come to my room and check on me( I couldn't even reach to the room phone to call the front desk.) The MOD of that night was fast and professional. Soon after he came up, a doctor showed up to check on me. I was clearly in deep trouble... IV, tons of medications through it, got an allergic reaction...... To top it all off I was traveling by myself..... $650 later for a 50 min doctor's visit.... It took me 2 days spent inside of the hotel room feeling miserable to start feeling better... The room service gentleman which I can remember the name was a sweet heart! Always checking on me even when he was not bringing me any food. Another sweet gentleman was the F&B or Outlet assistant manager, Mohamed? Ahmed? He made sure to provide a "@ home" ambiance/feeling... He was great! We chatted a few times and he spent 10-15 in the room trying to cheer me up! He was superb!
It is an unfortunate that this happened! It is even more an unfortunate that the Assistant Director F&B Cedric Simon reached out to me to "apologize" for the issue but he guaranteed me that it was not from his restaurant. NOTE: The entire time I was in KL I only ate the hotel to avoid problems like this one.
My experience @ the Hotel was satisfactory, due to the front desk crew, food delivery gentleman and the assistant manager for Outlets or F&B as mentioned before.
F&B Director should train his staff on how to cater to the guest rather than making up excuse for issues that arise.
Housekeeping Department - mold and mildew in the bathroom shower. Closer attention required during room inspection.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RJ-SF2012

Dear RJ-SF2012

I am most concerned to note of your unpleasant experience during your stay with us and am glad that you were well taken care of by our colleagues. Kindly rest assured that the hotel has stringent health and safety policies on this area, and your feedback has been shared with our Director of Food & Beverage for a review on our control standards as we take precautions seriously.

In addition, I have noted your comment on the inconsistent housekeeping service and your less than satisfactory experience with our Assistant Director of Food & Beverage. My sincere apologies and we have re-briefed the individuals involved to ensure that our normal service standards are adhered to at all times.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for a much more pleasant stay in the near future.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I had 3days stayed last week. The staffs provided us a good service, efficient and profession. When I was dinning at Mosic , the staff addressed me. I felt so good that not all other hotel will do.
They cleaned my room 2 times a day promptly that i did not request. They are always on their smile. The friendliness is from the ground floor to the top management. They are still a lot for me to comment of the good of this hotel. Must stay hotel.....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear LorraineMok

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and your kind recommendation of our hotel to other TripAdvisor members.

I am delighted that you were impressed with our service, especially at Mosaic and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back ot the hotel again for another memorable stay.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I had a two-night stay here in the middle of April 2013 in a Park-View Deluxe Room. The booking was made directly with the hotel online for their ‘Luxury Breaks’ offer, which included some dining or spa credits.

Arrival

I arrived via taxi from the KL Sentral station. Upon arrival, the porter was friendly. The whole check-in experience was also friendly enough and I was escorted to the lift only.

It was obvious that the lobby area was grand and luxuriously appointed, as were the lift areas and interiors.

The Room

I liked the design of the room, quite obviously a classical and traditional design but I wouldn’t describe it as being outdated. It was, however, showing its age with furniture appearing a bit scruffed but everything in the room would have been of a very good quality had it been new. The room was standard-sized (40 sqm) as far as hotel rooms in this category go.

I noted the welcome oranges, which some might consider a bit sparse but it seems to be the standard welcome amenity provided at Mandarin Oriental hotels.

Immediately, the pleasant view was obvious, looking out over the KLCC Park and the Petronas Towers from double-aspect windows with one aspect facing the towers and the other the park. The windows were floor-to-ceiling and completely expansive and provided as good a view of the area as could be expected, particularly at night. I found the ambience of the room to be warm and homely, with the heavy curtains (which were also capable of blocking out light completely) and the comfortable sofa lounge helping to create the homely feeling.

I found the condition of the room to be still acceptable with the carpets still looking nice and plush. Importantly, the bed was comfortable with a softer and plush top section, standard in most higher-end hotels now. The fact that the room appeared to be well sound-proofed helped to provide two good nights of sleep.

The hotel also caters to business travellers with a good working desk space and a very comfortable office chair but the chair did seem to make a lot of noise when moving.

The bathroom was also nice with a separate bathtub and walk-in shower. There wasn’t a rainshower available and the water pressure for the shower didn’t appear to be adjustable. It was nice to lie in the bathtub, as it was sculpted for the contours of the body and also had a strong water flow to help fill an above-average bathtub in terms of depth. The presence of the over-sized bathroom mirror next to the tub was a nice feature, adding to the sense of space and appears to be quite common in hotels in Kuala Lumpur particularly. The toiletries were of a very good quality and were the same as found in the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong.

Downsides of the bathroom included the relatively small size of the separate toilet compartment, the fact that lights to the bathroom seemed to be only controllable from the side of the bed and also a slightly unpleasant smell which seemed to emanate from the bathroom. At first, I wondered what could be causing the smell and later traced it to the bathroom and likely coming from the drains.

Unfortunately, at the time of my stay the internet access was not complimentary but I note that it is now included as part of the packages, as long as a profile is created with the Mandarin Oriental Hotels.

Please note that I have videos of the hotel room, which can be found through my profile section.

Hotel Location and Public Facilities

The location of the hotel in the KLCC area is obviously a strong point. It’s right next to the upmarket Suria KLCC Mall which competes with the Pavilion (also nearby), probably for the title of the nicest mall in KL and the best foodcourts as well. It’s also right next to the Petronas Twin Towers, which offer good views of KL from the observation levels and I understand that the hotel can help guests to secure one of the limited number of tickets available to visit the observation level. Apart from that, the hotel is next to the KLCC stop on the Kelana Jaya subway line, which can be used to connect with the monorail to get to the touristy areas of KL such as Bukit Bintang (although a short walk at the Dang Wangi station will be necessary to reach the Bukit Nanas monorail station). The streets surrounding the hotel can get a little congested at times, particularly during the evenings.

The public areas of the hotel looked luxurious and very nice, I don’t think they were as affected by age as the rooms in the hotel. The Mosaic provided an extremely nice and elegant setting for the breakfast buffet and a very wide selection as well. I was actually seated in the ‘Lounge on the Park’ area, which provided an elegant and classical Chinese style with a plush sofa for seating. Service during the breakfast came across as being formal and polite.

The second morning, I decided to try the in-room breakfast, using the food and beverage credits included as part of the package. The presentation was impressive with the meal tray placed in front of the window with a nice view out directly towards the Petronas twin towers; it was a nice way to start the day.

I managed to try the spa, sauna and jacuzzi areas and they were impressive but not quite at the same standard as the equivalent at the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong, although the facilities there were probably the best I’ve ever seen.

Staff Service

Staff service standards in all areas were very good and I didn’t find anything to complain about. The service tended towards the polite and formal but on the whole was solid. I had a query for the front desk one evening regarding my package and whether the credits were cumulative and it was answered affirmatively in a friendly and comprehensive way. I do have a theory, however, that the service on the Club Floors would be of an even higher standard. There is a noticeable premium attached to the Club rooms so hopefully, aspects such as staff service would be of a superlative standard.

Conclusion

I had a highly enjoyable two-night stay here. Everything was of a high standard, as expected at a Mandarin Oriental property. However, I did get the feeling that if the hotel ever had designs on recapturing the number one spot on Tripadvisor for Kuala Lumpur hotels, then it would need to update its rooms and it’s pleasing to note that the process is underway.

NOTE: I have videos of the hotel room, which can be found through the link in my profile section.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear perryw

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed experience of your stay with us.

It is great to know that you enjoyed the hotel’s convenient location, facilities and F&B dining on this occasion. My team is also delighted to receive your comments on our service.

We will certainly review our welcome amenity and as our guestroom renovation project will progress until 2016 for a full completion, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel to experience our new rooms in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed in the club room as the corporate standard rate was full and standard rack rate was nearly the same as the corporate club rate. It worked out to be more value in money as there was complimentary laundry (3 pieces), breakfast and all day drinks in the club floor.
The rooms are a little tired looking but overall very clean and well maintained.
The gym was also good though they need to add one or two more elliptical machines as those were always fully occupied. I liked that the gym has a small adjacent room where they keep a yoga video running so you can hop into it to do some gentle but effective stretching by following the video.

I arrived late at night and had dinner at the lobby lounge. While food was okay, they have to improve the selection.

Overall, it was a pleasant business trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear lucidbabe

Thank you for your kind review and I am glad overall you had a pleasant stay with us.

Your comment on the food selection available at our Lounge On The Park and the availability of the elliptical machines in our Vitality Club which we will review accordingly. My apologies for the inconvenience you had encountered.

In addition, as mentioned in our management response, we have commenced our guestroom renovation project which will progress until 2016 for a full completion. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel to experience our new rooms in the near future.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

we stayed here for three days as a stopover on the way down to Australia it wasn't long enough ! every thing about this hotel is excellent from the rooms the food and especially the staff truly a wonderful hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Tony M

I am happy to note that you had a wonderful stay with us and look forward to your return in the near future.